Barkin' All Night Long

KY Grouse Hunter

Barkin' All Night Long

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:54 pm

I got a neighbor who is having trouble with his dogs barking all night long and he asked me today what he should do to get them to quit and I didn't really know what to tell him because I have never really have that trouble. Anyone got any suggestions?
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:03 pm

1. electronic bark limiter collars

2. spray the dogs with water

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:10 pm

Tri-tronics bark limiters work well for me.

gotblika

Post by gotblika » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:28 am

I've used TT bark limiter and dogtra yapper stopper, I like the dogtra better mainly because it's rechargeable.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:21 am

I don't usually have this issue, but we live out in the country and the dear and coon and such get them going sometimes. Usually if I go out and yell once or twice they hush, if not I will give them a rawhide chip (go and and make them hush but wait until they do - then give a rawhide chew, this keeps them busy for a few minutes and may be long enough for the deer to pass or whatever the issue was. A last resort, one full moon night, that I had a female in heat and a male that would not quit howling... I turned on the water sprinkler, on low pointed striaght in the kennel, the only place that was safe from it was the house. I set it fo about an hour and had no more issues all ight long. BUT these are not chronic issues. A chronic barker would get a bark collar.

We have a dog that boards at the club kennel that is a chronic pacer/barker all DAY. He was raised as a house dog and his owners "changed their minds" when he was 2-3. He has nevere adjusted to kennel life well. Recently he went to a kennel for training and when he came back, he didn't bark. Every so often when it is feeding time or someone opened the kennels he does, but not the all the time yap that he had before. I can guess why :twisted: and at seems to have made a big difference! He is less worked up and frantic acting also...

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:56 am

We used an electronic bark collar on our Airedale and it worked like a charm.
LORI
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=966

"It is not a mark of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti

Lab Man

Post by Lab Man » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:09 pm

I would tell him to get either a Tri-tronics or Dogtra bark collar. They are the best on the market.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:58 pm

i have a similar problem and have been looking at the bark collars carried by Lion Country. do the dogs ever get to a point where they dont have to where the collar anymore?? or at least to where it doesnt have to be turned on??

utahmomof4

Post by utahmomof4 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:15 pm

Our Airedale only wore his for a couple of months. He hasn't needed it in 6 years. Once he was broke, he was broke. Now if he starts barking (usually at the cat in the neighbor's yard), we just have to tell him to hush up and he does.
LORI
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=966

"It is not a mark of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:07 pm

It has been my experience that most dogs will only need the collar a month or so. I have to collar some of mine up at times like the 4th of July because the fireworks will crank them up but under normal conditions they no longer need them.

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:29 pm

I'll run all this good advice by this guy. Although I don't think he'll take to much to the collar idea because the dudes a tight wad. :lol:
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

steveNok

Post by steveNok » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:52 am

I have an EP that used to bark all night. He was the only dog in the kennel that barked. I tried a bark collar with little success so now I just crate him up every night in his run and he doesn't make a sound. Might try that.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:55 am

The dog doesn't bark in the day?? If so use him for a coon dog. :wink: Sorry, one of those moods. :oops:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick