My confession

Sharon
GDF Junkie

My confession

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:56 pm

FLYNN.jpg
And now for my confession:
Because of Parkinson's Disease , I could no longer care for a gun dog - couldn't give it the exercise it needed.
I saw a dog needing a home at Animal Alert - a Maltese. :oops: Not well ( heart problems and deaf), but I thought
"Hey! I need a dog and I can handle this. Minor exercise needed ; all vet bills paid for. "
It's has turned out great!
Can I still stay on the gun dog forum? ( sarcasm) :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: My confession

Post by slistoe » Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:32 pm

Sharon wrote:
FLYNN.jpg
And now for my confession:
Because of Parkinson's Disease , I could no longer care for a gun dog - couldn't give it the exercise it needed.
I saw a dog needing a home at Animal Alert - a Maltese. :oops: Not well ( heart problems and deaf), but I thought
"Hey! I need a dog and I can handle this. Minor exercise needed ; all vet bills paid for. It's has turned out great!

Only if we get a video of her retrieving Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:22 pm

This makes me happy!

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:26 pm

Sharon wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:56 pm
FLYNN.jpgAnd now for my confession:
"Hey! I need a dog and I can handle this. Minor exercise needed ; all vet bills paid for. It's has turned out great!

Well you know it's not gun shy!

Congrats Sharon....is it a boy or a girl and we need it's name~

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:24 pm

The truth is that real dog people pretty much like all dogs, and if circumstances in our lives require it, we might change breeds but we like them just as much.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:54 am

NEhomer wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:26 pm

Well you know it's not gun shy!

Congrats Sharon....is it a boy or a girl and we need it's name~

Thank you gentlemen.

(Flynn(male) , but as he is deaf we sometimes say "Listen you little $%^&* get in here."
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:57 am

Steve007 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:24 pm
The truth is that real dog people pretty much like all dogs, and if circumstances in our lives require it, we might change breeds but we like them just as much.
Absolutely - it is good for your soul, health and mind.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:04 am

Sharon wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:54 am
Thank you gentlemen.

(Flynn(male) , but as he is deaf we sometimes say "Listen you little $%^&* get in here."
Depending on Flynn's age and how much time you want to put into him --- nothing wrong with a new hobby -- you can probably train him to work on hand signals. It is part of the required exercises in advanced level obedience and, of course, can be taught to any dog. Most people find it helpful in normal living, as when you don't want to make any noise (wife is sleeping in the same room) or there is a high level of noise to obscure voice commands. Sometimes upper level obedience dogs do go deaf with age, and they get along perfectly well with hand signals.

It is always interesting to teach a dog new commands and these are pretty worthwhile.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:08 am

Thanks I'll think on that.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:22 am

Sharon wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:08 am
Thanks I'll think on that.
Go to YouTube and watch a video of an AKC Utility Dog (UD) making his run. They have to do a great deal more than hand signals. of course, but one of the exercises involves doing a "go out" (race away from handler towards Antarctica in a straight line and at a dead run until stopped with a voice signal). Then, at great range and under the great distraction of a dog show, he has to down, stand, sit (judge determines the order), come to a front position and then go to heel, all on hand signals only.

You can teach of these what you want, but it is certainly interesting to do so, especially as you extend the distance at which he should do these. On the other hand, you won't have to worry about him being distracted by noise. :wink: It is pretty fun to teach new exercises, and there are plenty of UD dogs that are Maltese size!

Ttown

Post by Ttown » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:42 pm

So great to hear that you are bonding with Flynn.

Willie T

Post by Willie T » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:32 pm

Congratulations on the new pooch ma’am. I think you belong on this forum.
Willie

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:21 pm

Please don't go anywhere, Sharon. This place would not be the same without you. Congrats on the new dog. He's obviously fortunate that you found him.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:13 am

Thanks for your kind words gentlemen. :)

mask

Post by mask » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:45 pm

Sharon, you are a real keeper so hang in there and be well. Best always. Bill

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:15 pm

Sorry to hear of your condition - you are truly the heart of this forum. Great that you're taking on this fellow. Just being around a dog brings joy to our lives.

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:34 pm

I'm so glad you've still got one, regardless of size, Sharon! And please, don't go anywhere...we kinda need you to stay!😊
"Heaven isn't for good people. Heaven is for forgiven people."