The Australian Shepherd

Max2

The Australian Shepherd

Post by Max2 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:19 am

Ok dog folks. My niece messaged me that she & her husband got a new pup. An Australian Shepherd. I think they are an agility breed ? Was going to google but decided to ask the dog pro's over here on G~D Forum. Been kinda slow over here lately.
What say you ?

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: The Australian Shepherd

Post by shags » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:11 am

A good friend raised Aussies. They are a herding breed. While not as intense as Border Collies, they need a job. My friend competes in herding trials, and her Aussies were also titled as working "farm dogs" or "ranch dogs" (Sorry, can't remember exactly, but it means they are good to help with lifestock).

The breed used to be considered 'sharp' but as they became Americanized and bred more for the bench or companion animals, that isn't so much of an issue. But it's something to be aware of. One that is willing to pull wool might be not so careful about pulling skin too.

As with sporting breeds it seems like herders are happiest when they have plenty of exercise for both body and mind. I've been to some herding events - got to be a sheep and/or duck wrangler :) - and they look like lots of fun. There are different herding dog associations, and AKC has a herding program of some sort as well.

Aussie pups are possibly the cutest creatures on the planet.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:04 am

shags wrote:
Aussie pups are possibly the cutest creatures on the planet.
I hope that's not the reason they chose this breed. :D The pup is quite cute as pup's go :D
Both are working professional's & are sticklers for research. They have a nice fenced yard and hubby works from home office.
Let's breath some life into this thread. Keep'm com'm please. I'm off to work so I can save up for a started/finished dog !

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:01 pm

Besides being a bird dog guy, I'm an obedience competitor (well, my dog and I are). I see a fair number of them. As with any breed, there are some poorly-bred ones, which translates to spooky, destructive and barkers.But those are the bad ones. Most of them are solid but HIGH-energy. They do need a job and serious obedience will give them the impulse control and discipline they need to be a top notch dog. Big shedders, so get your niece grooming early.

A good choice for an active family that will work with the dog every day. They are social, not yard dogs. If hubby works from home, tell him to do three light-for-a- pup 5-minute obedience sessions per day. Plus walks/jogs or retrieving sessions. As you may be aware, they are not really from Australia.

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:58 pm

Sheep Herding dogs routinely win agility contest in all forums, including last years Westminster National, won by an Aussie. http://www.foxsports.com/other/story/we ... ter-021316

Go to a couple of events and you'll see that a large number of participants are herd dogs and most of those are Australian Shepards.
They are smart, quick, agile, and love to work, must be why the win so often.

If you don't want to mess with the sheep, training for agility is the next best thing for an Aussie to do.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:28 am

Sounds like if they put the time in they should end up with a nice new family member.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:28 am

Shags said "The breed used to be considered 'sharp' but as they became Americanized and bred more for the bench or companion animals"

I'm not sure "Americanized" is the word I'd use. The breed, despite the name, actually originated on the western ranches in the U.S. A better term is "urbanized" or "suburbanized". :D

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:45 am

Yeah, you're right :oops: I must have been thinking of cattle dogs or heelers or dingos or something. Hey, I'm old.

OP, let us know how they get on with their new pup.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:54 am

See ~ I knew you folk's would come through for me :D & yes I will update this thread from time to time. Everyone is tickled to death currently. My sister & brother-in-law went and met Miss Luna and said she is a cute-t. I went to the local Petco yesterday to pick up a little care package to send down. It amazes me how these big box pet stores are set up. Not like old the days. I had a hard time finding a nylabone. ( My max wasn't born with a "silver spoon" in his mouth :D the extent of his toy's where man made :D ) I must say I am pretty excited for the young couple with their first dog /new family member. Can't wait to meet the little lady.

jrb_113

The Australian Shepherd

Post by jrb_113 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:37 pm

My daughters Australian Shepard thinks he is a retriever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrb_113

The Australian Shepherd

Post by jrb_113 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:38 pm

jrb_113 wrote:My daughters Australian Shepard thinks he is a retriever.

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201707 ... 988241.jpg[/img]

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:43 pm

shags wrote:Yeah, you're right :oops: I must have been thinking of cattle dogs or heelers or dingos or something. Hey, I'm old.

OP, let us know how they get on with their new pup.
The dingo, heeler, cattle dog, is definitely a little possesive of there trucks. You have to be more aggressive to move cattle. But a real kick to watch at the stock yards on sales day.
The active herders were developed to work all day. And most owners don't have jobs for these dogs. Which means most of them are bored 16 hours a day. This can result in them turning into chewers. They will find things to do to keep their minds busy, and owners may not like some of their busy work.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:16 am

I finally met the little girl on Sunday. The pictures I have been receiving made her appear much bigger. When I got to my nieces house and saw this tiny little pup in her crate I started laughing. My niece looked at me as if to say why are you laughing. It was more joy then anything to see such a little pup like that. Smart little girl and you could see her wheels were spinning . I think my niece and her husband should do good with this pup.