How's the weather where you are ? Political thread break

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:52 am

Dry as heck here in NY. look'n forward to opening day in another 6~7 weeks . Perhaps I'll take my heal~shiner up north and start a little earlier. Anyone 1st yr out ? or new pup 1st yr out ? I always enjoy those type reads. We need some new material :D

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: How's the weather where you are ? Political thread break

Post by shags » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:02 am

It's been hot and humid here all summer, and despite the humidity we've had very little rain. Keeping the dogs in condition has been a challenge. My young trial dog is going into his first full season as a broke dog, and it's been difficult for him as he's a big guy who doesn't do heat well.
It looks like September will fall into this weather pattern too, so no break in sight.

We have to check our pasture every morning because deer jump in to get to the pond, but forget how to get out. The other day we had a doe with quad fawns. I've seen twins many times, triplets once before, but never quads, so that was an experience :)

DougB

Post by DougB » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:53 am

Hot, muggy, with a 95% chance of mosquitos. And gnats. 3" of rain the other night. Down the road a bit, up to 12" of rain. Any more, and I'll have to tie the canoe to the back steps. On the other hand, tomatoes are ripe, beans and peas are great, and a bumper crop of Honey Crisp apples are getting ready to eat. Did I mention that MN has 50 species of mosquitos. We are missing one species in my back yard, but I don't know which one.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:39 am

Hot and dry.
Took the dogs out for a swim. They jumped is and swam around for a while. Didn't want to get out. The pup is really enjoying swimming.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:22 am

All over the map in Northern MN. We'll get 90 with 70% humidity one day, then 68 and downpours. I worry about the little grouse! Plus all this makes mowing grass an unending endeavor!
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:38 pm

Steaming hot / high humidity for Many days. Little rain. Farmers in trouble. Don't remember a summer like this in a very long time.

south western Ontario
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:13 pm

A very good monsoon this year in AZ. I probably shouldn't say this but southeastern Arizona should have a good Mearns season. Feels like Florida!

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:30 pm

Come home from work about 5:30 .Took one call when power went down because of heavy rain,thunder & lightning . It just came back up so we at least got a good soaking to green things up . I hope
Got out this morning with Max at 4:30 am . The stars were brilliant ! I look up and a shooting star smoked across the sky. Not three steps ahead and another in a different part of the sky ! Just plan awesome ! :D Simple things for simple minds I guess.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:36 pm

Max, Perseids peaked last night. Lucky you got to see some. Too cloudy here.

AAA Gundogs

Post by AAA Gundogs » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:42 pm

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:A very good monsoon this year in AZ. I probably shouldn't say this but southeastern Arizona should have a good Mearns season. Feels like Florida!
I'm expecting the best coues deer season in recent memory and the last 2 have been amazing in Arizona and Mexico.

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:49 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:A very good monsoon this year in AZ. I probably shouldn't say this but southeastern Arizona should have a good Mearns season. Feels like Florida!
Dang Guy why would you tell people that?!!!
Hahaha

I am getting excited about our Mearns season with all of the rain the southern part of our state has been getting.

Yes Humid here in AZ.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:52 am

MGIII wrote:
Dang Guy why would you tell people that?!!!
Hahaha

I am getting excited about our Mearns season with all of the rain the southern part of our state has been getting.

Yes Humid here in AZ.
Yeah, realized the error of my post as soon as I pushed "submit".. :roll:

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:59 pm

At this moment it is raining. A flash shower. And the sun just popped out . Haven't been on here in awhile . What happened, Geez this used to be about dogs and training. Now, almost as bad as face book...

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:58 pm

We had a couple storms come through. :D I don't do facebook so I have nothing to compare the recent ramblings. I was a part of it but realized that perhaps this isn't the place for it. I like the fine animals that sometimes grace the threads of this site.

A little side story from today. Before work today I stopped at the vet for Max's med's and I always enjoy greet'n all the new pups. Most folks animals are just pet's and that's ok. One was a weim and a beauty. I asked the young man if he intended to hunt the young female and his answer was " I would like to maybe try" I responded " she would probably be good at it" The next was a daschshund ~ I said "oh a tracking dog" the owner smiled and replied "oh I don't know" Then the place started to really fill up and I got out of there :D

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:56 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:At this moment it is raining. A flash shower. And the sun just popped out . Haven't been on here in awhile . What happened, Geez this used to be about dogs and training. Now, almost as bad as face book...
Maybe, but it seems to have been contained to the off topic section, so it seems there is still adherence to the 'rules.'
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:00 am

It's been ridiculous here in Western MA. We're in a major drought and it's been hard on the farmers. As I stated in another thread, I just can't run my setter in this heat but fortunately, he can run our rural property and wallow around in our stream to cool off so he's been able to run every day. Looking forward to the cool days of autumn for sure.

This is one lucky dog!

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:28 am

NEhomer wrote:It's been ridiculous here in Western MA. We're in a major drought and it's been hard on the farmers. As I stated in another thread, I just can't run my setter in this heat but fortunately, he can run our rural property and wallow around in our stream to cool off so he's been able to run every day. Looking forward to the cool days of autumn for sure.

This is one lucky dog!

Nice pic .

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:55 am

Thanks.

After a soaking he's off chasing birds again. I have this population of woodcock surrounding my home and he's pointing them daily and just stanching up for long periods of time.

We're launching and shooting pigeons this week as well.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:42 am

I have to ck the rule book but it has always been the 15th of August in the past here in NY that we can start harras'n the wildlife. The season opens in about 6 wks I guess. Been seeing W/C splatter on yard as of late. I am guessing it should be a good yr for grouse here also

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:49 am

Gee, I don't know what I could do about it. This point is on a woodcock right off the edge of my front lawn. The birds literally surround my log home and the adjoining forest and swamp. I'd have to keep him penned up to keep him off of 'em.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:07 am

What a looker! Nice dog!

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:14 am

Max2 wrote:I have to ck the rule book but it has always been the 15th of August in the past here in NY that we can start harras'n the wildlife. The season opens in about 6 wks I guess. Been seeing W/C splatter on yard as of late. I am guessing it should be a good yr for grouse here also
I'm not from NY but here in MN "quiet time" only applies to state administered lands, not private lands.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:25 am

Thanks AZ!

This is my first setter. My last two gun dogs were Britts.