need a new lawn mower

Jager

need a new lawn mower

Post by Jager » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:24 am

NEED to buy a need mower, Monday. We bought a JD 316 mower about 25 yrs ago and it worked well until about a yr ago and we had a few issues but fixed them. But last week the engine basically blew, not get to getting any compression. So we are getting a new mower. We have about 2 acres mostly yard with some trees to mow around and a couple small hill/banks. Nothing major. So I looked at a new JD 140 at Lowe's and a new Husqvarna YTH24V48. I'm thinking the Husqvarna but in looking at reviews I thought I would ask to see what you all think. Pros Cons both ways. I'm open to other mowers, brands, just haven't looked at any. Don't really want to spend over 2k. And want a 48" deck. Any advice? Thanks!
Dear Lord, Please make me the kind of person my dogs think I am.

http://www.allnkennels.com

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: need a new lawn mower

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:49 am

I went with a Husky 52"...for the Kawasaki engine and with the heaviest mower deck offered.
No regrets.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:49 am

You won't find another brand that will last as long as a Deere. Do, however, ask your John Deere dealer why you should buy it from him rather than Lowes. I've had numerous co-workers, with less grass to mow than I have, that have all gone through two, if not three other brand mowers in the same time I have used only one JD. It all depends on when you want to buy another one... :D

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:52 am

I'll send a 16 year old with a large pair of scissors. :D

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:12 am

Cub Cadet Zero turn with a steering wheel

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:48 pm

Having gone through several big box/hardware store type mowers in the last few years, I bought a Husqvarna a couple months ago from an implement dealer. So far, it's been great. We have about an acre of lawn that gets cut one or two times a week, and about four acres of horse pasture that I cut every 2-4 weeks depending.

That heavy deck is da bomb! Never again a stamped deck for us.

I had ordered a 52" mower but through a paperwork error wound up with a 48". Worked out for the best because I can get through all my gates with the smaller one and mowing time isn't all that much more :D

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:46 am

I have seen so many people around here that have second homes(seasonal homes) that bought from the box stores and with in a couple yrs their machines are falling apart. John deere dealers don't like to work on the box store model tractors with the john deere name either as a good number of the tractors I speak of were john deere models. (IMO) best bet would be spend a little extra and purchase a name brand from a reputable dealer and save in the long run. I run a ferris & love it !

PistolEd

Post by PistolEd » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:39 pm

I bought a Hustler ZTR several years ago. If you have landscaping to go around a ztr is a timesaver. I cut my mow times to 2hr from the 4-5 on the tractor. Your $2k limit might make a ztr a budget buster but the time you save might be worth it.

rich223

Post by rich223 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:23 am

I would go with some type of 0-turn mower a lot faster than a tractor.

Rawhide

Post by Rawhide » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:43 am

I too would go for the zero turn. The mowers at the big box stores are cheaper for a reason, they are not made the same as one from a dealer.
Lawn mowers are a lot like whiskey you get what you pay for.