Fort Hood Shooting--AGAIN

Rod W

Fort Hood Shooting--AGAIN

Post by Rod W » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:23 pm

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends, once again! WHY ??
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

RichK

Re: Fort Hood Shooting--AGAIN

Post by RichK » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:06 pm

Another gun free zone.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:41 pm

Rod W wrote:Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends, once again! WHY ??
Why? mental illness. He was under a Doctor's care. Had been in Iraq. Killed himself too.

We forget that many of the soldiers come home traumatized. My Dad was overseas for 6 years in WW2 , and came home a shadow of himself , never to be the same. Suicide rate is huge in Canada for returning veterans. Important that all that is possible is done to support them.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canadian- ... -1.2580500
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RichK

Post by RichK » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:52 pm

Sharon,

Unfortunately our current president continues to strip away the benefits to our military. We should be doing more to help those returning from overseas. I guess he thinks the money is better spent on welfare programs.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:59 am

We can never stop the individual that "SNAPS" from obtaining a weapon, nor killing a few in the imediate vicinity. BUT,Isn't it the base commanders job to provide security to those that entrust him with their lives? If our leaders have become so inept at providing security, ONCE AGAIN, perhaps it is time to hire outside security, WHO WILL CARRY GUNS!!! Bring in the Israeli's where even the school teachers carry M-16's. None of this would be needed if the BRASS would listen to the men and women on the ground and are begging to carry sidearms while on base. We lost the war in Vietnam because the BRASS/Politicians thought they knew more than the men on the ground, and we have been losing ever since!
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

Life Member NRA

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:38 am

Rod W wrote:We can never stop the individual that "SNAPS" from obtaining a weapon, nor killing a few in the imediate vicinity. BUT,Isn't it the base commanders job to provide security to those that entrust him with their lives? If our leaders have become so inept at providing security, ONCE AGAIN, perhaps it is time to hire outside security, WHO WILL CARRY GUNS!!! Bring in the Israeli's where even the school teachers carry M-16's. None of this would be needed if the BRASS would listen to the men and women on the ground and are begging to carry sidearms while on base. We lost the war in Vietnam because the BRASS/Politicians thought they knew more than the men on the ground, and we have been losing ever since!
It is so easy to sit and find fault, even where none exist. Since none of us or anyone else knows what went on what joy do you get from trying to place blame when we don't know that there is any to place. What we have heard so far is that there MIGHT have been an argument, the individual was suffering from depression and was being treated. If this follows the normal course we will probably hear in a few days this wasn't accurate. We also know that the government had made the base a GUN FREE ZONE. Base commander's, as far as I know, do not have the authority to over rule the Commander in Chief.

For all of us concerned about this, lets not fall into the trap of assuming and gossip, and that is all this is right now. There will be no meaningful information come from a situation where there are no facts to base it on. Patience, and then if you still feel the need, do something about it rather than just gossip.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:44 am

Ezzy, JUST WHERE DO YOU SEE----THIS ---GOSSIP?????????????????????????

Life Member NRA

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:02 am

Rod W wrote:Ezzy, JUST WHERE DO YOU SEE----THIS ---GOSSIP?????????????????????????
Might this comply;
None of this would be needed if the BRASS would listen to the men and women on the ground and are begging to carry sidearms while on base. We lost the war in Vietnam because the BRASS/Politicians thought they knew more than the men on the ground, and we have been losing ever since!
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends, once again! WHY ??
This sounds like a sincere feeling till I get to the end with the unnecessary words of "once again! WHY? Seems you are asking a question that you don't know the answer to and you are asking people who have no more knowledge than you. Might that lead to gossip or someone solving the problem that at this point hasn't been identified. I have the same questions that everyone else has and I too have some answers if I am guessing right but as of now it is all conjecture with little that will solve an unknown problem.

What I am saying is that we all have a concern, none of us know what really went on, none of us, as good as we are, can solve an unknown problem. And unless you just want to gossip and stir up something to gossip about it would be a good idea to spend your time on here talking gun dogs till we all know what we are talking about.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:31 pm

EZZY, You do amuse me! Have you ever heard of lessons learned? The definition of INSANITY---Doing the same thing again and again. Have you ever heard of ----NOT ON MY WATCH?? NO, Ezzy, I, FOR ONE, DO NOT GOSSIP. And, by the way, I just heard Col Allen West say that the individual base comanders can AUTHORIZE ANYONE, OR, SQUAD THEY WANT, TO CARRY WEAPONS. Please, don't feel as tho you need to apologize-----just wait for the facts! Oh, Yes, gundogs----a few defense trained Drathaars, in every building may have stopped this.

Life Member NRA

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:31 pm

Rod W wrote:EZZY, You do amuse me! Have you ever heard of lessons learned? The definition of INSANITY---Doing the same thing again and again. Have you ever heard of ----NOT ON MY WATCH?? NO, Ezzy, I, FOR ONE, DO NOT GOSSIP. And, by the way, I just heard Col Allen West say that the individual base comanders can AUTHORIZE ANYONE, OR, SQUAD THEY WANT, TO CARRY WEAPONS. Please, don't feel as tho you need to apologize-----just wait for the facts! Oh, Yes, gundogs----a few defense trained Drathaars, in every building may have stopped this.
I am glad someone amuses you. Kind of makes my day to know I brought some happiness into someone's life. I try to do that everyday. You evidently have a different meaning for gossip than I do. Webster and I both agree that gossip is one that reveals either intimate or SENSATIONAL facts. And then engages in gossip (talk) about it. Looked back at this Off Topic forum and guess who has started several posts about some sensational happening and then proceeded to discuss the subject even though none of us know much about what happened. I think that fits nicely into the category of gossip.

As far as the base commander being able to authorize anyone to carry a gun in an area the Commander in Chief has designated a gun free zone, I can think of no quicker way to lose your job and very possibly your freedom. A lot of Generals as well as Presidents don't take real kindly to that sort of actions. I think sometimes that the chain of command gets off the track sometimes but I do know they have a way of wiping the smile off of amused Base Commanders.

Thanks also for releasing me from the need to apologize since I was wondering just what I was supposed to apologize for. And I am glad to see you have decided it would be smart to just wait for the facts. That is pretty much what I was trying to tell you, then we can have a discussion that means something rather than just gossip about what we don't know.

Ezzy

PS In the last 2 months there have been 5 topics posted in this Off Topic Forum, three of them by Rod W. First one was "How long can this Country Last?" It ended up having to be locked. Then "IRS official flips off the Taxpayers", a interesting subject but was not really accurate as one official followed her Constitutional rights of not incriminating one's self and there was no flipping except in the authors mind. Another example of an intimate or sensational action that really wasn't either unless you thought the title was accurate. Rod W. tried his level best to make it sensational. And then the third one by Rod.W, "Mass Shooting at Ft. Hood...AGAIN" See the Capital letters that were used to try and make it sensational. Would have been a good report if that sensational bit had been left off and it was just a note to express the sorrow I think we all feel as we wait for the facts of what really happened and possibly get some understanding as to why. And then to be absolutely fair the other two topics were about the elks on the west coast and someone asking about a former member. And of course there are many topic in the past very much like those two. Subjects that are somewhat related to our group and the outdoors we all adore but aren't really about our dogs, hence the off topic forum.

Just wanted to bring you up to speed on the recent history of the off topic forum and who and how it is being used. You all still have the right to make up your own minds and you don't have to apologize either.

GSPTrigger

Post by GSPTrigger » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:41 pm

Well being a combat vet and serving in the Army for 8 years, spending time on different bases including Fort Hood I have always been a firm believer after the first shooting that all soldiers should carry their weapons with a 30 round magazine. All military personnel are taught rules of engagement no matter what their job and I feel they can apply the same rules to the bases. Even though the soldier who committed the act had underlying issues it does not excuse what he did.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:46 pm

GSPTrigger wrote:Well being a combat vet and serving in the Army for 8 years, spending time on different bases including Fort Hood I have always been a firm believer after the first shooting that all soldiers should carry their weapons with a 30 round magazine. All military personnel are taught rules of engagement no matter what their job and I feel they can apply the same rules to the bases. Even though the soldier who committed the act had underlying issues it does not excuse what he did.
I agree, makes a lot od sense.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu May 01, 2014 11:27 am

Im not sure that letting 14,000 troops with no security clearance, half of which now may have PTSD carry guns un supervised is such a good idea. Im an ex Special Forces Vet and was allowed to carry but even I got questioned even though I held a Top Secret security clearance. There are a lot of screwed up troops and even though they were taught the rules of engagement, those rules only apply to the enemy.