Pigeon release

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Pigeon release

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:54 pm

I'm looking for a good way to release multiple birds / one dozen or more at a time. Does anyone have anything like this?

I would like to use some type of small flat crate that is easy to load and opens at the top. I would also like to fit it with a remote receiver / release. I'm not interested in a launcher, but something the birds will fly out of.

Nate

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: Pigeon release

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:20 pm

I know you are looking for something more sophisticated than then this but I just load them in a medium sized dog crate, drive them to where I am going, put them on my truck's roof and open the door to the crate.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:20 pm

I know you are looking for something more sophisticated than then this but I just load them in a medium sized dog crate, drive them to where I am going, put them on my truck's roof and open the door to the crate.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 pm

Get a card board box--cut air holes in all sides. Have the lid hinged on one side---tie a string to the lid. Hide the box. When the dog points, pull the lid open & off they fly. You won't have an electronic release on it, but it is CHEAP and you can let your whole herd loose at one time :roll: I do it with my broke dogs every once in awhile to give them a covey experience :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:27 pm

Higgins Remote is just what you are looking for.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:02 pm

I use a old milk crait or pop bottle crait turn it up side down place all the birds you wont run a string away from it to pull it over if you do it slow they will come out like a covy rise just a few at a time or real fast they will all come out a once .the sides are open so your dog can smell them real good or if they are close enought they can see the birds if you can find one the old metal style is best . you may have to place some weight on the plastic style makes poor boy covey lancher

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:00 am

I guess I'll need to get to the drawing board. What I have in mind is a larger version of the Higgins trap with a loading door similar to that on my DT launchers. I don't see how one could successfully load the Higgins trap with 4 pigeons let alone quail or chukars. A loading door seems to be a necessity.

I'd like to build 2 so I can set up a dozen birds to launch at 2 different locations when needed. Wood or cardboard may be useful for a prototype, but won't last very long. Aluminum is probably the best material for light weight and durability. Unfortunately its going to cost plenty, especially if I fit them with receivers.

Thanks for the responses,

Nate

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:13 pm

With quail, it 'a real easy to load multiple birds in a Higgins Releaser. I load3 sometimes 4 at one time. The way I do it is to hold the quail upside down with their legs and feet between my fingers. I then gentle lay all birds in at once with that hand and close the door with the other. I imagine pigeons will be too large for this. Mo Lindley was the first person to ever mention to me how to do this.