Foresst Fires

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Foresst Fires

Post by Neil » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:12 pm

The only asseration I have made of import is that climate change has not been proven to cause pine beetle infestation and has not yet effected forest fires.

Lkke many of those without formal education, those that are self taught, you tend to believe whatever you read that confirms your preconceived notions.

To blame climate change on any problem relives those in authority of any responsibility. While fires rage and people die, you in your ignorance condone it.

The problem is not climate change, it is missmanagement.

hyperb

Post by hyperb » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:41 am

Neil, you literally don't even know how to spell "forest," and yet now you're lecturing me about formal education. Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:55 am

hyperb wrote:Neil, you literally don't even know how to spell "forest," and yet now you're lecturing me about formal education. Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui.
The grammar police, and Latin all in one post, can you get anymore annoying?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:09 am

nikegundog wrote:
hyperb wrote:Neil, you literally don't even know how to spell "forest," and yet now you're lecturing me about formal education. Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui.
The grammar police, and Latin all in one post, can you get anymore annoying?

Yes...that would be the second mention of a spelling error of.... forest.

The first time, I assumed was from childishness, the second...confirmed my first assumption.
Frustration, it appears, often takes those immature paths of passive-aggression.

Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta!

hyperb

Post by hyperb » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:01 pm

Study on direct links between current climate change and forest fires, from New Mexico: http://www.npr.org/2012/08/24/159848194 ... -plays-out

And a final note-- many responses on this string have taken umbrage at my remarks. One member, Ezzy, has sent me several emails accusing me of attacking Neil personally, chastised me for my tone, blamed this tone on my "youth" (as a 40 yo man God bless him/her!), and threatened to kick me off this forum. I have no idea in what capacity Ezzy claims to wield this power-- he/she may or may not have this ability.

Regardless, if you are critical of my posts please note several overtures of good humor and well wishes I've made to Neil, none of which were reciprocated. Several other commenters took digs at my perceived political affinities or my age. You'll also note I've provided around 10 research-based links backing up my assertions; Neil has offered one, which he later redacted halfway. No one else has offered any at all.

My comments on the spelling of "forest" were not a dig at Neil personally, but rather to point out the pretty obvious observation that someone who is not knowledgeable enough to spell something accurately may not be the most informed person on that topic.

In my "youth" and newness to this forum I'll offer what I hope will serve the forum and hunters in general-- we are an endangered species. The average age of hunters continues to creep closer to death in this country, as do the private lands available to hunting. Attempting to bully someone that has a different perspective than you does not serve hunting or hunters, and does not help recruiting efforts. We are (or should be) all on the same page on this. http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/features/228137

My concerns about forests, fires, and climate are both professional and personal-- I've lost hunting opportunity and worry for my young sons, who I hope have the same or better opportunities in the field as I have had.

It is my hope that I am able to continue to learn about gundogs and bird hunting through this forum, a subject I am new to (although not new to hunting). I will be all ears. But I won't be intimidated with the threat of "being kicked off this forum" because someone with a perceived different political slant holds sway on this forum; if that's the case I won't consider getting kicked off a problem, and will seek knowledge from a more open-minded group. We're all too old for that kind of hooha.

Happy New Year to all.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:12 pm

The problem with ridiculing someone else's grammar and spelling is it leaves your own writings open to inspection. I "redacted" nothing, perhaps you need to use your dictionary for more than a spelling aid. And it is "commentators" with an "o", if I wished I could find dozens of errors in what you have posted, but that would be equally childish, and unlike you I do not believes it negates your positon, the facts do.

It is time to end this.

I believe strongly that by defending the position that climate change is the cause of forest fires allows those responsible to take no action. That is sad.

Argue with someone else.

hyperb

Post by hyperb » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:54 pm

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:08 pm

Where is Al Gore when you need him :roll: :lol:
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:02 am

Whats the point of these "i'm so much smarter than you" posts? Where is the love? lol
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

DougB

Post by DougB » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:23 pm

Climate is changing. It has changed before and it will change again. It will effect our lives, or our childrens', when farming really shows the hit it will take. Enough trained educated people who know about climate agree to mean we had better be prepared. A few degrees difference in temp, a little change in rainfall patterns, and a lot of things will change. Prairies will become deserts, forests evolve, wildlife moves or dies. Its -10ºF and dropping outside right now, and that has no effect on global warming. It's the average year long temp you have to watch. Science says it's happening. Opinion is meaningless. Politics has nothing to do with it. It's not a voting topic.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2013/11/
The combined average temperature over global land and ocean surfaces for November 2013 was record highest for the 134-year period of record, at 0.78°C (1.40°F) above the 20th century average of 12.9°C (55.2°F).
The global land surface temperature was 1.43°C (2.57°F) above the 20th century average of 5.9°C (42.6°F), the second highest for November on record, behind 2010. For the global oceans, the November average sea surface temperature was 0.54°C (0.97°F) above the 20th century average of 15.8°C (60.4°F), tying with 2009 as the third highest for November.
The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for the September–November period was 0.68°C (1.22°F) above the 20th century average of 14.0°C (57.1°F), the second warmest such period on record, behind only 2005.
The September–November worldwide land surface temperature was 1.08°C (1.94°F) above the 20th century average, the third warmest such period on record. The global ocean surface temperature for the same period was 0.52°C (0.94°F) above the 20th century average, tying with 2009 and 2012 as the fourth warmest September–November on record.
The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for the year-to-date (January–November) was 0.62°C (1.12°F) above the 20th century average of 14.0°C (57.2°F), tying with 2002 as the fourth warmest such period on record.
http://www.ifpri.org/publication/climat ... adaptation
Agriculture is extremely vulnerable to climate change. Higher temperatures eventually reduce yields of desirable crops while encouraging weed and pest proliferation. Changes in precipitation patterns increase the likelihood of short-run crop failures and long-run production declines. Although there will be gains in some crops in some regions of the world, the overall impacts of climate change on agriculture are expected to be negative, threatening global food security.
The Earth has changed in “unprecedented ways” since 1950, the U.N. says, and its scientists are 95 percent certain that humans are responsible.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:57 pm

My original post refuted the Government's claim that global warming has accelerated the pine beetle infestation, and thus wild fires. my only point being that blaming an uncontrollable event relieves them of all responsibility.

I checked the pine beetle's range, it streches from Mexico to Northern Canada, where I am pretty sure it gets below freezing.

One thing I am in agreement with the global warming alarmists, the recent cold snap in North America and the ships stuck in the Antarctica Summer does not disprove their claims. Weather has always fluctuated greatly.

Neil