Hockey fans, Lots of D not enough O

fishvik

Hockey fans, Lots of D not enough O

Post by fishvik » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:23 am

My sons high school hockey team had a tournament in Boise this weekend. My son plays goalie and had 118 shots on net in 4 games, he saved 110. To quote that great hockey sage Don Cherry,"He saw more black rubber coming at him than a dead skunk on the New York Thruway" They still lost every game. No matter how many you keep out of your goal you have to put a few between the other guys pipes.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Hockey fans, Lots of D not enough O

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:34 am

Sounds like you got a good goalie. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Thanks Sharon. He is a pretty good goalie. But at 5'11", 215 lbs with size 11 1/2 skates and still growing (He's only 15) he doesn't leave much of the net to shoot at.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:21 pm

Maybe I'll see him in the NHL someday and he can keep you in your old age. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:00 am

Right now I just want him to get through high school and maybe play in college.

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:21 am

If he is that good you should look into getting him in a Midget major program, unless he goes to a prep school or something like that. I Goalie coach a High school program here in Michigan and I also coach a Midget program. The kids in the midget programs get a huge advantage when it comes to scouting and a true future in hockey, I have two kids going to the OHL next season they got the chance by playing Travel. Just a thought Hockey is the greatest sport ever its a great joy of mine to coach and mentor, its great to watch the light bulb go on with a young man.
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:07 am

Thanks llewellin, He's playing Midget A with the IF team this year and he tried out for a prep school up north last spring. Major midget programs out here are few but we've looked into some in Utah and Washington. He was their third choice and they only took two. He had a rough one last night. The team lost to one of the other local high schools that has a real strong team. I agree with you hockey is the greatest sport. I played in high school 40 years ago in southern New England. I coach too, but I have knee and hip problems so my ice time is limited. Thanks again.

azquailhntr

Post by azquailhntr » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:28 am

Fishvik...are the Budmen still playing out of IF? I played with those guys a few years ago...fun bunch. IF is a sleeper for hockey talent...some good players have come out of there over the years considering you only have ice for half the year that is saying something

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:43 am

My little brother played in souix(spelling?)city last season, in the USHL. If he really wants to play hockey for a career send him out here to MI we have 4 great Midget major programs, they recruit from all over the country and have billet programs that are really great. Look into them, Victory Honda, Little caesars- the red wings own this one. Honey baked, and belle tire. there are some great programs if he is willing to move, its hard on parents and child, i did it to my parents and my little brother did. but its well worth it!!
The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:22 pm

azquailhntr wrote:Fishvik...are the Budmen still playing out of IF? I played with those guys a few years ago...fun bunch. IF is a sleeper for hockey talent...some good players have come out of there over the years considering you only have ice for half the year that is saying something
They sure are and they are still playing. One of my sons coaches played for them.
llewellinsetter wrote:If he really wants to play hockey for a career send him out here to MI
I may consider that and I'm almost ready for retirement, and I'd love move with him to live in a place in the midwest where there is hockey and fish are for catching and eating and not just for protecting.

llewellinsetter

Post by llewellinsetter » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:47 am

llewellinsetter wrote:If he really wants to play hockey for a career send him out here to MI
I may consider that and I'm almost ready for retirement, and I'd love move with him to live in a place in the midwest where there is hockey and fish are for catching and eating and not just for protecting.[/quote]

The houses are still really cheap out here and there are plenty of lakes to enjoy, to be close to the programs out here you would need to live in south east Mi. every midget major or minor programs are located within 45 miles of each other, all in southeast MI. we have a lot of bird hunting land out here too!!