Whats your favorite dog breed? And why?

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:07 pm

Above ^^

RichK

Re: Whats your favorite dog breed? And why?

Post by RichK » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:26 pm

Chihuahua. I've yet to see another dog that can match my oldest's loyalty or personality, he's quite the badass for being 5 pounds, not to mention that he is quite the flusher of birds. My second chi is 2 years old and his personality and style is almost as impressive. On the small dogs I'm running two for two with great dogs.

I got my first GSP in March of this year and I've been quite impressed with the breed and plan on getting another in the future.

Here's my two year old chi and my 8 month old GSP. They are usually attached at the hip.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:13 am

Bernese mountain dog.....because that breed reduces the need to clean ruffed grouse.

BellaSpinone

Post by BellaSpinone » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:24 am

There are so many nice breeds. But as I read somewhere you are buying a dog not a breed of dogs. Getting a pup from great stock which matches your lifestyle is a big key. We participate in NAVHDA and AKC hunt tests, so a big running dog would not be a good fit. I am a prettily laid back trainer and my wife likes to show in conformation. When we got started the premier breeder was 4 hour drive from our house. He was willing to let me have pick females. And later breed to top stud dog.

So we went with Spinone.

Ten years later.
I have a NAVHDA VC (2013)
2Ut Prize1's
4 AKC MH
National Open Walking Gun Dog Champion Annie
National Amateur Derby Walking Champion Ellie
National Amateur Walking Gun Dog Runner-up Maggie
My wife has been to Westminster twice
We have 4 conformations 2 grand champions
Won the speciality at our nationals and was best of opposite twice

Not many breeds on one weekend earn a VC and next weekend a conformation major. We are very happy with our Spinone.

What ever the breed get the best puppy from the best breeding. It is cheapest money you will spend.

onuhunter02

Post by onuhunter02 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:35 am

I got my first gsp about nine months ago and she looks like she will meet my hunting wants and needs. I have a lab who also meets my hunting wants and needs. But to date the best house dog I have ever had is a boarder collie mix i got from the pound.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:49 am

BellaSpinone wrote:There are so many nice breeds. But as I read somewhere you are buying a dog not a breed of dogs. Getting a pup from great stock which matches your lifestyle is a big key. We participate in NAVHDA and AKC hunt tests, so a big running dog would not be a good fit. I am a prettily laid back trainer and my wife likes to show in conformation. When we got started the premier breeder was 4 hour drive from our house. He was willing to let me have pick females. And later breed to top stud dog.

So we went with Spinone.

Ten years later.
I have a NAVHDA VC (2013)
2Ut Prize1's
4 AKC MH
National Open Walking Gun Dog Champion Annie
National Amateur Derby Walking Champion Ellie
National Amateur Walking Gun Dog Runner-up Maggie
My wife has been to Westminster twice
We have 4 conformations 2 grand champions
Won the speciality at our nationals and was best of opposite twice

Not many breeds on one weekend earn a VC and next weekend a conformation major. We are very happy with our Spinone.

What ever the breed get the best puppy from the best breeding. It is cheapest money you will spend.
I am guessing one of your dogs is Iba? He is an awesome animal. You forgot to mention the perfect temperament this breed has.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:36 am

Saw a hard charging Shorthair do what a hard charging Shorthair does at 20 and I was hooked..for life.

Hoosierpointer

Post by Hoosierpointer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:55 am

All time Fave is GSP.. My first; Gappy was the best. Now Josie our other is 7 and like to stay in the house and hunt when the mood takes her. They are just the best looking and most soulful dogs I have had.. Now I also like my new EP boys, but I still think nothing beats the look of Liver GSP on point.. Just me two cents..

will-kelly

Post by will-kelly » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:53 am

Vizsla

Temperament and trainability are top two reasons.

Great in the field, great with the kids. House doesn't smell like a dog and the hair is minimal.

Hoosierpointer

Post by Hoosierpointer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:27 pm

will-kelly wrote:Vizsla

Temperament and trainability are top two reasons.

Great in the field, great with the kids. House doesn't smell like a dog and the hair is minimal.

You have me there.. My GSP always has that lovely tang..

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:19 pm

For me it's the GSP.......... their just it . I do like um all though. :D

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:58 pm

Setters for me, because of their bird handling, style and personality.

Steve

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:30 am

Lab,
never met a more loyal loving dog willing to work from its heart.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

jack the dog

Post by jack the dog » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:09 am

I love all breeds of dogs.

But you ask for our favorite, and why.

My answer is, American Britts, and why is, 'cause I do.
Let me always be the person my dog thinks I am.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:59 am

It is kind of two fold.

My first would be the French Brittany: Just love goofy personalities, but able to turn the switch to full bird dog in O-60 seconds. I also find they take to grouse hunting real easy and pretty quickly. I liken them to a blue collar guy like me that takes care of what is needed and can joke around.

Second and By no means is there anymore than .05% difference is GSP. What more can you ask for from a dog. And they are beautiful. They are purely driven, but also have their own manner of approaching things.
Last edited by Ruffshooter on Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Tough question. I like so many breeds and have experience with so few.

I had a lab growing up and although we didn't hunt him, he was a fantastic dog and I will always miss him.

My mom had a Great Dane named Monster who was my buddy. Even though he was 200lbs he still thought he was a lap dog.

I have always really loved boxers. I'd like to get a fawn colored one someday.

I currently have a French Bulldog and while I love her I wouldn't put them on my favorite breed list. They are very loving dogs but exceptionally stubborn and self serving. It probably wasn't the best choice for our first dog but she's coming around.

I like many breeds of gundogs but I don't have enough experience to classify them as my favorite breed. (Gsp's, vizsla, Brittany). My current pup is a springer spaniel and he is awesome. All of the springers that I train with are awesome. I might be hooked on springers for life...who knows.

So based on my very limited experience I would probably say english springer spaniel followed by Labrador retriever.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:45 pm

For 25+ years I have been a GSP guy through and through...but if you don't tell anyone, I have a hidden affinity for Setters! :D

Nitrex

kibafang90

Post by kibafang90 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:10 pm

Great breeds and all... but i feel so alone..
Does anybody here love mals or dobes?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:44 pm

yep, two of my favorites.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:41 am

I would say that my favorite breed is quickly becoming the sarplaninac. we have 2 on the farm for livestock guarding purposes. They are both closet clowns when your not looking. Nothing like watching a 125lb dog play with a litter of kittens when your not looking.

But there will always be a GSP or 6 on my place.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:14 am

English setter. The one I have is as sweet as any dog can be and she looks so beautiful when she nails a bird that it makes my heart soar.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:29 pm

I have E. Setter's, worked with Britt's, Vizlas and a few Gordons and have owned GSP's and Pointer's. Favorite breed has to be GSP's. They are the most natural and seem to be the smartest of all the breed's. Easy to train, look great on birds and the best retriever's I've ever owned. The difference between my most favorite and least is a very thin line though!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:51 pm

Grew up with and will always have a soft spot for britts. My griff is changing my mind though. There's something about a dog that will break ice retrieving geese in the morning, crash thick cover and cattails for pheasant midday, then chase sharptails in the shortgrass in the afternoon. All the while doing them all very well.

bluekona

Post by bluekona » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:18 pm

so far I had a English springer best listening dog I ever had. had a English setter sweetest dog I ever had. I also owned a French Brittany biggest baby but not in a bad way and I currently own a 8week American Brittany to young to tell what kind of dog she will be. out of all out them the setter was my fav. but was too big for my needs that's why I have a britt right now. but I must say I just love all bird dogs. but from this thread seems like a lot of gsp fans.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:14 pm

Had a mini schaunzer that was an awesome dog played hide and seek with the kids. Not my favorite breed. I'd have to say lab they'll swim with you give all they've got great with farm animals other dogs and people can hike run and gun water or hillside.

armand

Post by armand » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Basset hound for me there's no other. Great temperament run a rabbit with a voice you can't beat at the speed I like.most important when I'm ready to go home so is he.

Erikcooper

Post by Erikcooper » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:58 pm

kibafang90 wrote:Great breeds and all... but i feel so alone..
Does anybody here love mals or dobes?

I love Dobes. Always have.

My favorite has to be a lab though. Willing to do absolutely whatever it takes to make you happy. Sometimes you have to make em stop, and good ones will, but ready to go even if they're dead tired.

Always like a good looking English Bulldog and Blue Pits and Blue Great Danes are some good looking dogs.

I have a Chocolate Lab now and as far as when I get another dog it would be the Blue Great Dane if it weren't a hunting dog. If it is a hunting dog it will either be a Boykin or a Toller. I would have to be around some Tollers first but they are interesting dogs.

rbsmith

Post by rbsmith » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:37 pm

GSP not only are they great hunting companions but they are also great family pets. I was lucky enough to have owned my first one for 151/2 yrs. and all she wanted to do was please me. I am now training two 5mounth old pups and I see the same eagerness to please in both of them!

SD44

Post by SD44 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:04 pm

The best dog I have ever had was a Bullmastiff. Affectionate and loyal. The only problem was, I couldn't get him to hunt. He would rather lay around the house instead.

My first time hunting quail I was about 14. My friends dad had a GSP and when I saw him on point for the first time, I was hooked. Haven't looked back. Great on land and on water. So after 30 years, I'm still a big fan of the GSP.
Cheers,
SD

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:52 pm

It would have to be the Draht for me now. I like pointing dogs but hunt both waterfowl and upland. The Draht with their unique personality and astounding abilities now fill the bill for me. Labs and Setters will always hold a special spot in my heart though.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

ChetB

Post by ChetB » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:46 am

My first dog was a Rat Terrier that Mom and Dad presented me with on my fifth birthday. I loved that little dog. We grew up together and she lived for 13 years until after I graduated high school, a long time for a terrier. At just about that same time I hunted with a friend of my family who had a GSP and I've been hooked on that breed ever since. I've owned and hunted with four of them since then. My current GSP is a 5 1/2 year old female. Miranda (NRC'S BUCK'S GUNPOWDER N LEAD) is out of a FC/MRT'S BINGO BUCK and ALI DIXIELAND SLICKER MRT breeding and she is by the far the best of the four I've had. She's the most versatile hunter I've owned and I couldn't ask for a better dog around the house ... not sure what I ever did to deserve her.
Last edited by ChetB on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:21 pm

Chesapeake. Although I don't have one anymore the ones I did have were all very loyal companions. Definately a breed apart from other dogs.

But, I don't think I've ever met a breed of dog I didn't like something about.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:09 pm

I have to go with the GSP as we'll. their energy and love of life make them so fun. I love the variety of colors to choose from. They adore their families and love to hunt. They make great sleddogs as we'll. life is never dull with a GSP (or two) in the house!!

Wildirishman64

Post by Wildirishman64 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:48 pm

+1 fun dog. I've had labs and GSP over the last 25 years. I love my Bella she is 3 years old and in the zone. Hunts her hiney off!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391305674.385425.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Go Irish or Go Home, Take a child hunting and you will never have to hunt for him!

Frankug

Post by Frankug » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:55 pm

of the 14 dogs I have 5 are Wirehaired Dachshunds. Wirehaired Dachshunds it is, because they are tough and versatile. Plus you have to be tough hided to hunt with them, you will certainly get some laughs. Best personality out of any dog i have ever seen.

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:35 am

For me it has always been shorthairs, but one day I may try a Gordon or Irish Setter. They are graceful in a way that GSP's are not.
"A person may cause evil to others not only by his action but by his inaction, and in either case he is justly accountable to them for the injury." John Stuart Mill

muleskinner

Post by muleskinner » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:59 pm

I've run bear and lion hounds, rabbits with beagles, squirrels with rat terriers, and trained guard dogs and personal protection dogs. My all time favorite is a well trained GSP pointing a wild bird! The nose and the smarts that it takes to be successful hunting birds always amazes me. A good bird dog is really poetry in motion! I have 2 GSPs now and a litter of 3 that are ready to wean. I want to keep em all but can't do it>

cohanzick creek

Post by cohanzick creek » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:28 am

If you asked me that question 30 years ago I would have said a Doberman. Now 30 years later I would have to say the German wire hair pointers. I think they are personalities are close
cc

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:04 pm

This question has been asked on this forum more that Obama has said "you can keep your doctor". :mrgreen:

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:47 pm

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:This question has been asked on this forum more that Obama has said "you can keep your doctor". :mrgreen:

:D

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:33 pm

a field bred English Setter. The agility and grace while running at speed (especially in tight cover) and the style on point. I'd say bird finding ability, but there are other breeds that can find birds as well as english setters. They just don't look as good.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 pm

Brittany. I have had two dogs and both were brittanys. I like how they want to be your best friend and always want to be with you. English setters, GSPs and French brittanys are up there also, but for me the brittany is at the top.

LAboykin

Post by LAboykin » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:28 pm

Coming from a large family that lived on a farm growing up we had lots of different dogs... My favorite though growing up had to be our German Shepard... Was an awesome dog and a loyal companion.. lived to almost 18 YO... Was strongly considering getting another after my last lab moved on... But I got married this past year and my wife wasn't real keen on getting another big dog... We looked into Boykin Spaniels and we haven't looked back...

Very smart dog and not nearly as stubborn as labs I've trained in the past... He picks up stuff so quickly and it's always great to see that light come on when he "gets it"... He's made for a great house dog too... I have a feeling it might be the last breed I'll ever get... He's got a pretty strong drive and retrieving came naturally which was nice... Considering starting to get into field trials with him... just found a group in South Alabama that's looking to start up

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:11 pm

Had GSP for 15 years. Then switched to American Brittany. Big dog, big food, big poop. Small dog, small food, small poop. We started traveling a lot and Britts are easier to travel with. Both breeds are outstanding field dogs. My current Britt runs bigger and scents better than any I have ever owned. My first GSP was the smartest dog I ever owned but we hunted every single day during hunting season in some of the best quail harvest years ever. They all get smarter with age.

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:59 pm

I love a good GSP, they do it all with class.

However, in ND I want a dog that can be outside year round, so I picked lab.
Not quite the pointing ability, but better water handling and retrieving.

Overall, I'll stick with labs, but enjoy a friend's GSP in the field.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:54 pm

My favorite is the well-trained breed :) I am a fan of all bird dog breeds and would love to have one of each, but lo and behold, that is tough on a half acre lot.

I've always had a special thing for Springers... I just haven't found an animal they won't hunt, cover they won't bust, or a heart they can't melt.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

IronRangeECS

Post by IronRangeECS » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:19 am

At 25 I haven't owned many dogs, but I can only think of two that took my heart. The first dog I found in the least likely of places. I was 15 and working as a cashier at target. lady came through my lane with 3 bags of puppy chow. she had six golden retriever X Labrador pups for sale and lived a few blocks away from us. I payed 150.00 for Kira. the sire was a field trial lab, and the mother was the neighbors field bred golden retriever. if she was a pure bred from either parent she would have been $800.00 + So needless to say I had one of the best bird dog mutts money could buy. she was 100% loyal. great hunter and an even better snuggler. Sadly we lost her at five. she had developed full blown Lymes disease with out showing many symptoms until it was really bad. doctor put her on meds and kicked the lymes but the power-full medication needed to kick the lymes shut down her kidneys. I got the call from my dad on my honeymoon.

Here's a pic of my Kira Doo

Never underestimate A 22lb Cocker Spaniel...

gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:46 pm

I have had many breeds and shown others for clients and conclude I like a nice one of any breed.Breeds of dogs are like nationalities of people each is an individual.

DudeRN

Post by DudeRN » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:00 pm

although I am relatively new to the breed, I love my Brittany. I have had her for just over a year, and she is the best dog I have ever had.

ESS13

Post by ESS13 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:07 am

I have already found that if I like a specific dog or a specific breed, I typically get along with their owner as well. Its certainly coincidence but I am amazed at how many dogs look like and act like their owners.

Typically the best dogs are dogs that enjoy having fun and have been taught that by their owners.