Commercial Weed Eaters

Karen
GDF Junkie

Commercial Weed Eaters

Post by Karen » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:14 pm

Looking for recommendation on brand/model. Hubby spends 4-5 hours every other week weed whacking around the house and I'd like to find a weed eater that doesn't frustrate him (is that possible?).
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Commercial Weed Eaters

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:21 pm

All weed eaters stink, frustration is inevitable. Stihl and echo are about as good as they get.

I like to design my landscape so the lawn mower leaves very little to weed eat. Roundup and pre-emergent herbicide the rest. Thats the best way to not being frustrated by a weed eater.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Luminary Setters

Commercial Weed Eaters

Post by Luminary Setters » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Shindawa's are pricy, but well worth the money.
Hunter Payne

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:59 am

Sthil FS 100. Not a weedeater on the market will touch it. Very light with power to burn. Combine it with a speed feed head & watch frustration dissapear. I own & operate a landscaping company & have tried about all of them. Shindaiwa is good but HEAVY! Take off the guard as well (by the head that cuts the string) you can run 12" of line with enough power to now a hay field!

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:03 am

Stihl, will last for years, easy to handle, if wacking ditches all day everyday I'd go husqvarna

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:03 pm

Get a DR trimmer/mower its on wheels has lots of power.I have had one for 15 years and its seen better days.For a ton of weedwacking it cant be beat.Easy to change string,which is twice as big as a regular weedwacker.
"a man has got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood

Chicago Blackhawks Six Time Stanley Cup Champions

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:57 pm

I have a Redmax and can't complain. I did change the head so I don't have to wind the line.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:19 pm

Karen -

Get something commercial grade and make sure there is a dealer for the brand that is local, or getting parts can be a sonofagun,

I have a commercial Stihl and it is an absolute beast. Takes 0.095 line and will cut down 1/2" saplings. The only PIA is that it is kinda hard to start when cold. Bought it ten years ago when I moved to DE. Still going strong. They make a 2 wheeled version that takes 0.165 diameter line(I think). That should mow down darn near anything.

I know a couple of landscapers who absolutely swear by RedMax. They start right up, even after sitting for protracted periods, they are light and easy to handle but just as powerful as any other commercial unit. I would have bought one of those, but there are no dealers anywhere near me.

Sean is right about the roundup. anymore, I do most of my pasture fence lines with roundup that has some Pramitol added to the mix. Same mixture I do my stone driveway with. Zero growth for about 2-3 months, depending on how much it rains. I would do the chemical treatment and mulch, if you need it to look nice as much as I could.

Hope some of this is of use.

RayG

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:50 pm

Luminary Setters wrote:Shindawa's are pricy, but well worth the money.
X10!!! By far the best I've ever owned! If I ever meet the person that designed the line head I'd kiss them :lol:

I've had ZERO problems with mine. I use it around the house and double duty it on the farm....even use the blade attachment to cut brush and cane for duck blinds. My wife even likes it. Easy to crank and lite.