DNR Releasing Coyotes For Deer

displaced_texan

Re: DNR Releasing Coyotes For Deer

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:18 pm

ACooper wrote:As many coyotes as there are in the US and as much urban sprawl if they were really all that blood thirsty this would be a much bigger issue than it is, a few isolated incidents of attacks on people are of no great concern to me.

Will they kill your dog? Every chance they get,
That's why I always carry buckshot. I never pass up a chance to sling lead at a coyote.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:53 am

ACooper wrote:Will they kill your dog? Every chance they get,

Im not sure about this..... Im not saying that a yote wont ever snatch up a dog, but, we have never lost a dog to coyotes that didn't have it coming. By that I mean I have never lost a dog to a coyote, that wasnt actively involved in the persuit of coyotes.

As far as coyotes actively hunting and killing deer, to the extent that they would be an effective means of population control.... I doubt it.
I have watched coyotes sit and watch our sheep on pasture (even before we had LGDs) and you could tell they werent in any hurry to tackle a full grown ewe (though they would a couple times a year).

Every one you talk to says that coyotes "just showed up", If you think about it, Coyotes are fairly resourceful, and are extremely opportunistic. they can thrive anywhere, and reproduce like mad. For example, we used to kill about 200 coyotes a year (for about 10yrs) from an area of roughly 40 square miles, and there were about 3 different groups running dogs that probly could probly claim similar numbers. I currently live in an area where I hear coyotes every night, but due to the amount of cover available, we rarely just see them out and about. I feel like due to the urbanization and constant clearing of cover to produce farm ground, folks just have more opportunity to see coyotes.

I do feel like coyotes have boomed in the last 10-15yrs, but I give credit for that more to the fact that we have more opportunity to see them.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:11 am

And Jim we do not have Grandma to shoot them.

JonahG

Post by JonahG » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:54 pm

Wildlife Conservation Society ADMITS and Acknowledges that on at least 18 occasions, there was relocation and planting of coyotes.
See pg 10, bottom of page/paragraph.

http://snr.missouri.edu/fw/faculty/pdf/ ... cology.pdf

'Second, the casual and perhaps common translocation of coyotes by humans
may have hastened the range expansion or may even be the chief cause of coyote
colonization of particular regions. This may have been more important in
the southeastern United States where at least 18 releases occurred (Parker 1995, Hill et al. 1987, Bourne 1991).
Whitaker and Hamilton (1998) suggest that in some cases in the southeast, fox hunters released coyotes that were mistakenly shipped to them because of their resemblance to fox pups. Releases or escapees
also occurred in Maine, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania (Parker
1995).
Today the coyote is found throughout virtually all of eastern North America.'

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:51 pm

You left out the best part. I didn't see anything in there that said conservation agencies were releasing coyotes. It seems as though many of these releases were illegal and conducted by "sportsmen" and not agencies.

Yet as Parker’s evidence clearly shows, these accidental or intentional
translocations of a few individuals would have little long-term impact on the
overall genetic structure or population dynamics of coyotes in the Northeast.

Studies that Gomper refers to state this:
The illegal release of coyotes in North Carolina for sport hunting also resulted in the establishment localized populations (Hill, et al. 1987).

Get rid of wolves = more coyotes. More easy food source (cats for one!) = more coyotes. Less fox = more coyotes. Coyotes are very adaptable and have colonized most every area that they have come into contact with - they adapt to urban areas by eating fluffy cats and dogs.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:54 pm

RoostersMom wrote:You left out the best part. I didn't see anything in there that said conservation agencies were releasing coyotes. It seems as though many of these releases were illegal and conducted by "sportsmen" and not agencies.
What about the insurance companies?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:08 pm

New Geico for Deer.jpg
Coop,

Just for you.

EG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JonahG

Post by JonahG » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:38 am

RoostersMom wrote:You left out the best part. I didn't see anything in there that said conservation agencies were releasing coyotes. It seems as though many of these releases were illegal and conducted by "sportsmen" and not agencies.

Yet as Parker’s evidence clearly shows, these accidental or intentional
translocations of a few individuals would have little long-term impact on the
overall genetic structure or population dynamics of coyotes in the Northeast.

Studies that Gomper refers to state this:
The illegal release of coyotes in North Carolina for sport hunting also resulted in the establishment localized populations (Hill, et al. 1987).

Get rid of wolves = more coyotes. More easy food source (cats for one!) = more coyotes. Less fox = more coyotes. Coyotes are very adaptable and have colonized most every area that they have come into contact with - they adapt to urban areas by eating fluffy cats and dogs.
Fact remains the coyotes were released.
If you want to argue about the Govt. LYING about its role statewide, that would be a good discussion.
We have a Top State Senator in TN admitting to state releases of coyotes on record...

And we all know that Govts. never lie, do they? And they would never go so low as to protect banks or insurance companies from scrutiny either...right? Bailouts anyone???

Fact: Coyotes never existed East of the Mississippi, from accts from early settlers. They were called Prarie Wolves.
They lived out West and SW. Sightings were non existant East of the Mississippi until human intervention, either illegally by sportsmen, or by confidential Govt relocations.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

DNR Releasing Coyotes For Deer

Post by ACooper » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:45 am

What is the point you're trying to make with this post?