What non gundog dogs do you own?

FirearmFan

What non gundog dogs do you own?

Post by FirearmFan » Tue May 07, 2013 9:35 am

Obviously the focus on this forum is gundogs but I have seen others mention that they also own other non hunting dogs as well and I was curious to see what everyone has. I'll start... I'm still waiting for my gundog to be born (should be another few weeks) but I do own a dog, a 1 yr old female French Bulldog. I'm typically not a huge fan of small dogs but she is a pretty cool little dog. I consider her more my wife's but shes fun to hang out with. We rescued her from the shelter at 9 months of age. Apparently she was found roaming the streets with a collar and leash on and no one claimed her or came looking for her after a month. The story of how she ended up with us is that my wife had a stressful day at work and decided to stop by the shelter to we the dogs as a little stress relief. Probably not the best idea if you aren't currently in the market for a dog. Long story short she fell in love and we went back a couple times and decided to get her. She is a good dog but very stubborn and self serving (stubbornness is a very common Frenchie trait).

So how about everyone else. Do you have other dogs that aren't gundogs?

BirdCrazy

Re: What non gundog dogs do you own?

Post by BirdCrazy » Tue May 07, 2013 9:48 am

A boxer trained as a therapy dog.
P7210260.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue May 07, 2013 10:26 am

aside from gundogs we have several farm dogs. We have 2 livestock guard dogs, both are sarplaninacs and their job is to keep critters from harrasing the sheep and horses and to keep 2 legged criiters at bay. we also have an Australian shepherd, who is a workable herding dog, and my wife has a mini dachshound in the house.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Tue May 07, 2013 10:32 am

I love boxers. I hope to get a fawn boxer someday but I always want to have a hunting dog and I know my wife always wants a small lap dog and I don't know if I'm ready for more than two at a time at this point.

UglyD

Post by UglyD » Tue May 07, 2013 12:08 pm

I don't own any that are not Gun Dogs------- now my wife has 2- those shitzu's- the good thing about them is they were brought in after the Gun Dogs so thats what they think they are-

birdyhunter

Post by birdyhunter » Tue May 07, 2013 12:18 pm

My wife has a mini dachshaund or however you spell it lol but I still use her as my squirrel dog and she's great at keeping oppossums and armadillos out of the yard.

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:41 pm

I have a pit mix i rescued almost 7 years ago... found this poor girl all chewed uip and bloodied, but you would never know by looking at her. She is best friends and tolerates alot from my 14 month GSP.

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Tue May 07, 2013 1:14 pm

Here is a picture of Lexi, my French Bulldog

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue May 07, 2013 3:39 pm

I used to have many dogs, had dobies, pit bulls, rat terriers etc. All dogs have something to offer a person.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Sfd714

Post by Sfd714 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:32 pm

Had a wolf hybrid for a little less than 5 years. Will never have another!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue May 07, 2013 4:44 pm

A Beagle and two rescues, one a pit mix, the other a mastiff.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Tue May 07, 2013 9:02 pm

Beagle and dachshund. Thought I would use the beagle for rabbit but then thought why when I have versatile gsp's. :mrgreen: he's still a great family pet.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue May 07, 2013 11:17 pm

We also have a Redbone Coonhound that doesn't hunt or trial and a chihuahua/rat terrier mix. Both are more the wife's dogs like the bird dogs are more mine.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri May 10, 2013 12:41 am

Great Pyrenees to protect my goats.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri May 10, 2013 8:01 am

I have an aussie/britt mix (rescue). she doesn't know whether to herd it or point it. I lover her. She is my every day dog and goes where ever I go. Very Smart Dog.
It's funny a lot of bird dog pros keep an ankle biter around their camps. Bill Gibbons has a "Jack Russell Terrorist" which is the Straw Boss around his camp. Jimmy Berneathy travels with a winerdog.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Sat May 11, 2013 6:52 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:I have an aussie/britt mix (rescue). she doesn't know whether to herd it or point it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now THAT is funny! LOL! My daughter has an Aussie, but she now lives 3 hours away... it is a really cool dog... plays dead when ya shoot it with your finger and says Grace before it eats! I used to have a Scotty and an Old English Sheepdog... both were great. I'd like to get a Jack Russell or another Scotty sometime... but fer now, it's just the psyco EP... :mrgreen:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat May 11, 2013 11:08 am

Jagdterrier. She's awesome :D

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Sat May 11, 2013 11:42 pm

Wife has a Jack Russell. He's best buddies with my GSP.

Nate

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun May 12, 2013 3:31 am

Girlfriend has a mini dachshund. Fairly annoying dog for the most part but she can track well and has a nose for grouse and bunnies.
Cass
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

SD44

Post by SD44 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:51 am

Boston Terrier
Cheers,
SD

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:18 am

Shiba Inu. There are no critters in our back yard (or should I say only pieces parts).

Carla

vartz04

Post by vartz04 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:43 am

CDN_Cocker wrote:Girlfriend has a mini dachshund. Fairly annoying dog for the most part but she can track well and has a nose for grouse and bunnies.
Same here. Kills birds and bunnies around the yard tho

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Gus with Tom, and my squirrel dog, Aggie.

MikeAZ

Post by MikeAZ » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:05 pm

Chihuahua mix...never again.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:55 pm

shags wrote:Jagdterrier. She's awesome :D

Does she still go for the wall ghosts :mrgreen:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:27 pm

Why would one own non gundog dogs? LOL.

We hunt with all we own, rabbit dogs, duck dogs and birddogs. If it doesn't hunt something, it likely won't be happy at our place.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:45 am

RoostersMom wrote:Why would one own non gundog dogs? LOL.

We hunt with all we own, rabbit dogs, duck dogs and birddogs. If it doesn't hunt something, it likely won't be happy at our place.

I guess even my livestock dogs "hunt" i have gone on pasture several times and found dead coyotes, coons, and the occasional stray dog.... While I can say that not all of our dog hunt, I can honestly say that ALL of our dogs have a valuble job. other than the sheep we had to cull for disease this summer we havnt lost a critter since we got the sarps, and I cant tell you how many times the aussi has payed for herself when the sheep and cattle get out.

A tool for every job I suppose.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

sarahlou

Post by sarahlou » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:07 pm

We have one Neapolitan Mastiff female that functions as a fall dog for my dad who has Parkinson's and a Shepherd Husky cross that sticks to the house like glue and makes a great guard dog. Even the newbie FedEx guys won't get out of the truck, they just pull up to a car and toss the package on the hood. We also have two cats a couple geese and a couple ducks that follow my mom around in the yard and a turkey that will sit down when you walk up to it.

tieflyer

Post by tieflyer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:31 am

:D Me and our Border Collie "Ty" who is one click away from being human. In the background you will see our little Jack Russell "May", who we are treating for Diabetes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n9y6LlTAlg

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:39 pm

my wife has a yorky smartest dog i ever seen

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:08 pm

Always have had a jack Russell terrier along with my setters - usually a rescue. They are a challenge which keeps me young ,and they can also manage the fields and woods. I teach them to back the setters so they don't interfere in the hunt.

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:45 am

A Brittany / Aussie mix. Rescue, smartest dog we ever owned and the matriarch of our pack.

Sako0988

Post by Sako0988 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:20 pm

Rhodesian Ridgeback

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:54 pm

American Bulldog x Doberman/lab and he's the most awesome do it all dog I've ever owned. He's a tree climbing, squirrel stalking/catching, opossum killing, pheasant flushing, Frisbee catching, bed snuggling, son of a gun and he's just flat out awesome. He's trained in personal protection and also serves as my wife's service dog. She has a rare autoimmune disease - a form of vasculitis, and before she has a flare up he alerts her to whatever part of her body is flaring even before she feels the pain. Once her flare up begins, he doesn't leave her side until she's all better and will not let you get close to the area of her body that's hurting.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:32 am

Miniture Queensland heeler (Ziggy). He's a rescue and he bites.

'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Pilot15

Post by Pilot15 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:16 pm

mhprecht

Post by mhprecht » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:34 pm

A deaf, partially blind Aussie. Daughter and wife saw her online and insisted we adopt her. We'll take care of her they said. We'll walk her they said. Guess who "she" adopted? She's lying at my feet as I write this. :wink:

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:48 pm

We have a Giant Schnauzer in the family and it is probably the nicest and most intelligent family dogs I have ever seen. Big, intimidating, calm, obedient and incredibly clean. Healthy as well.

Nadine

Post by Nadine » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:33 am

Booberry... the Chihuahua. She was an Easter Gift from my Boyfriend after my Coonhound passed away.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:01 pm

I have a Border Collie. Actually I don't own her, she stopped in for a bite to eat and never left. She'd been mistreated badly, ran at the sight of human's. My plan was, before I saw her and fooled with her coming in a bit, was to shoot her. She killed four of my chickens! I think she's been here about 4 mos now and everything has been a chore for her. Fought the leash badly. Had to get her in the car to take to a vet and even sedated, she fought me over the leash. Her left eye was screwed up and I wasn't sure if there was an eye in there or not. Vet took it out with the tear duct's and sewed it up. Spayed her and got her up to date on all shot's. She has got to where stranger's can call here over but she get's close enough to scratch her nose but no closer. Only a couple men she would go to other than me.

She was obviously she was not allowed in the house. I left the back door open so she could come in and sleep at night in the back room. She came on in the first time and soon as I looked at her, she spun around and ran. She experimented a few more time's and I didn't look at her till finally she snuck in without me knowing and first I knew she was there, she was laying by me chair. Getting her to come in when I call her has been a chore but I found out getting her in off the front deck was much easier. Today she'll come in the back now and then but when she's ready, she'll be standing by the front, it's a sliding glass.

My original though was to get her settled down then find a home for her. Well, that out the window. Gt to much of me in her and can't let her go. She eat's in the house now, sleeps in the house and the eye that was removed is all healed up and the hair has grown back.

My Missy

I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:47 pm

Cool story Don. You're such a softie :D
You could live without a dog, but it would not be worthwhile.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:09 pm

madmurph wrote:Cool story Don. You're such a softie :D
Real dog people like all dogs, regardless of breed. And a Border Collie is a pretty good breed.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue May 02, 2017 9:03 am

Might have another dog coming in. Young male GSP, beautiful dog. Found running in Mitchell, Ore and finally caught. Can't find an owner and the Sheriff's dept said if they can't find a home for him, he'll be put down. I don't really have the room but after seeing the photo I can't let it be put down. I'll work with it a bit and see if I can find it a home. Waiting to hear from the Sheriff's dept over there.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Tue May 02, 2017 11:05 am

I only have bird dogs, but my nephew has a horse, cattle, sheep ranch that I use every week to to run and train my dogs. He has a Komondor (coyote Killer) that follows me every where on the ranch and lays on my feet whenever I sit. He doesn't associate with anyone else, not even my nephew. Gets in the front seat of the truck whenever he feels like it, goes where he wants and does what ever he wants and we don't argue with him.

He puts up with my dogs as long as they don't go anywhere near the live stock. Nephew hasn't lost any animals in the 10 Years he's had "Sweety". I know I smell like English Setter and glad I don't smell like Coyote.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:05 pm

tekoa wrote:I only have bird dogs, but my nephew has a horse, cattle, sheep ranch that I use every week to to run and train my dogs. He has a Komondor (coyote Killer) that follows me every where on the ranch and lays on my feet whenever I sit. He doesn't associate with anyone else, not even my nephew. Gets in the front seat of the truck whenever he feels like it, goes where he wants and does what ever he wants and we don't argue with him.

He puts up with my dogs as long as they don't go anywhere near the live stock. Nephew hasn't lost any animals in the 10 Years he's had "Sweety". I know I smell like English Setter and glad I don't smell like Coyote.
A Komondor is a very interesting dog, though I've never seen one in an ungroomed state. He's got the right dog to deal with coyotes. A genuine --often heard of, but rarely seen-- one-man dog. You can feel highly complimented that he likes you.