Franchi Instinct SL

Rod W

Franchi Instinct SL

Post by Rod W » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:57 pm

Does anyone own or heard anything about this over/under, in 20 ga. it only weighs in at 5lbs 6 oz. It should be like carrying a feather! ROD
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

madmurph

Re: Franchi Instinct SL

Post by madmurph » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:14 pm

Rod, no real experience with one, but I happened across one at a local gun shop today while looking for something else. If fit, shouldered and felt just great. Every once in the while you can pick up a gun that feels good in every way and this was one of them. I have another Franchi (AL 48) that was the same way when I came across it at this same gun shop several years ago. I bought it on the spot. Believe me, I was tempted today with the Instinct as well. This shop was selling them for $1000. I think the MSRP on the Franchi website was $1200??? I didn't search for any reviews, but I'm sure as with the other Frachi models, there is no lack of quality with this gun. If you are in the market for a new one, I would definitely suggest checking this one out. I think you would be quite impressed. Let us know how it goes.

A company called Tri-Star has one called the Hunter EX LT that is also the same weight at 5.4 lbs. For the inexpensive over/unders, the Tri-Star seems to be a little nicer than most. The few that I actually have seen had decent metal to wood fit, decent wood finish and seemed of half way decent quality compared to others. If you're looking for a light weight over/under and didn't want to spend $1000 or more, this may be another option. I think they were on Gunbroker for $550 - $600.
You could live without a dog, but it would not be worthwhile.

LabGuy

Post by LabGuy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:10 am

madmurph wrote: A company called Tri-Star has one called the Hunter EX LT that is also the same weight at 5.4 lbs. For the inexpensive over/unders, the Tri-Star seems to be a little nicer than most. The few that I actually have seen had decent metal to wood fit, decent wood finish and seemed of half way decent quality compared to others. If you're looking for a light weight over/under and didn't want to spend $1000 or more, this may be another option. I think they were on Gunbroker for $550 - $600.
Looks like a good gun. I wouldn't mind stumbling upon one of these somewhere just to look at one. I am not in the market for it yet but have been looking at lightweight 20 ga over unders for upland hunting. Going to be the gun for my lady (and for me when she isn't around :wink: ). Anyone know of a place where I could find one of these to look at in the Minneapolis area? I am not really familiar with over and unders (as I am mainly a waterfowl guy and stick to my Benelli SBE2) so I will have to do a little research. Any tips/tricks for picking a good over/under shotgun?

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:22 pm

I plan to get one of these for the wife unless I find a great deal on a nice used Beretta. Looks lke a lot of gun for the money.
The NRA mag. American Hunter had a nice review of this gun a couple months ago.

Nate

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:58 am

[quote="madmurph"]Rod, no real experience with one, but I happened across one at a local gun shop today while looking for something else. If fit, shouldered and felt just great. Every once in the while you can pick up a gun that feels good in every way and this was one of them. I have another Franchi (AL 48) that was the same way when I came across it at this same gun shop several years ago. I bought it on the spot. Believe me, I was tempted today with the Instinct as well. This shop was selling them for $1000. I think the MSRP on the Franchi website was $1200??? I didn't search for any reviews, but I'm sure as with the other Frachi models, there is no lack of quality with this gun. If you are in the market for a new one, I would definitely suggest checking this one out. I think you would be quite impressed. Let us know how it goes.

Hey Madmurph, Send me a PM with the name and number of the Gun Shop that has the Franchi SL, I have tried, and can't get a PM thru to you! Thanks, ROD
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

Life Member NRA

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Rod, I only saw the Instinct L at that shop. I returned a couple days later and they had the SL in stock also at that time. The SL was $1199. I thought the SL was absolutely awesome. Much more so than the L. So awesome in fact, I had to have one. I ended up ordering one from Gander Mountain because I had $650 in gift cards even though it was $100 more than the local shop. I will send you the info for that local shop on PM.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:19 am

Thank You Madmurph, I drove down yesterday and picked up the Franchi Instinct SL, 28 inch barrels, 20 ga. He has two more in the 26 inch barrel and a 12 ga, 28 inch bbl. Daanie Ace Hardware in Oostburg, Wi 920-564-2338 SSwwweeeeett little gun!!!

Life Member NRA

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:36 pm

Yes Rod, it is definitely a sweet one. I'm glad I was able to help. I can't wait for mine to come in. I got the 20 with a 26 inch barrel. They told me 120 days max. I wish I knew you were coming, we could have met for coffee - good restaurant next to the gun shop. I'm sure we could have shared some BS about dogs, guns and grouse. I hope you enjoy it and I'm sure those northwoods grouse and woodcock are all scared now!

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:42 am

I may have been premature in my praising the SL, I will send it back today, to the Franchi machinists, to be buffed out/ honed down. Way to much metal to metal contact! I know they will take care of this! ROD

Life Member NRA

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:22 pm

----Excellent service!---- 6 days after I sent my gun in because there was so much metal to metal contact/rubbing/scraping, I was called yesterday and told the gun was just fine, this was a production gun. We talked for a while and I stated to the rep, You mean to tell me. the gun is a piece of sheet? The rep says, no the gun is not a piece of sheet,---it is a production gun, some have been worse than yours! I will wait to make further statements until I receive the gun back, I did tell the rep, when you send the gun back, send a can of lapping compound with it!!----Sorry, I thought this to be a truly, quality firearm!!

Life Member NRA

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Report on the Franchi SL; EXCELLENT SERVICE---turn around time 11 days, WI to MD to WI. I sent the 2 day old shotgun back to the factory after calling the factory and being issued a return order label. The problem, as stated earliar, lots of rubbing/ scratching, monoblock to receiver--breech face--safety---metal on forend to metal on butt stock. I didn't know what to expect after being told by the factory service tech that this was the way the guns come out of production runs! This is what the work description says "The rubbing on the side of the monoblock, rubbing on the breech face from the ejectors and rubbing from the safety contact with the receiver are normal on these guns. Adjusted bolt and barrel tension. F/C OK. Initialed. The Franchi SL came back EXACTLY, as I had desired. (The rubbing from the safety is still there) This was now the QUALITY firearm that I had thought I had purchased! Just this little adjustment and there is NO RUBBING anywhere but from the safety! This is indeed the SWEET, little gun that I had thought. Look at them and if you decide to buy, DO NOT BE SATISFIED, with what you deem to be excessive rubbing/scraping--metal to metal contact. It is now a pleasure to break this gun open! I will also, make a copy of this post and send it to Benelli. YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH THIS LITTLE GUN!!!

Life Member NRA