Need women who hunt input

frosso

Need women who hunt input

Post by frosso » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:51 am

I'm working with a friend who is a seamstress to develop some women's hunting clothes (primarily upland stuff) that fit real women (not twiggy) and won't empty the bank account. I would like some input on what women would like to see available. Here is my list of wants:
jeans with brush cloth
a durable field jacket under $200
longer tail shirts for older women and those of us with a cup size larger than B
Pants with room to move that have a long enough rise that you aren't exposing yourself when you bend over

It seems like most of the stuff I try to buy is cut for 20 somethings and is skimpy. Let me know what you might like to see.....
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

Fran Seagren

Re: Need women who hunt input

Post by Fran Seagren » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:25 pm

My biggest issue was getting a hunting vest that was made for a woman. I didn't have trouble finding pants. But, the vest was always a problem. As men don't have a waist like women do, my hunting vests were always "swinging" with the weight of water bottles, emergency field gear, and when I was on my game, birds I had shot! :D By the end of a day hiking the fields, prairies, woods, or hills, I would have a back ache. But, last year, my daughter bought herself a "woman's hunting vest" from Eddie Bauer. She's very small, and it was a little too big for her. I tried it on and it felt wonderful! I bought it from her and hunted all last season. No back aches! It was worth the price. Which was more than I had ever paid for a vest, but I don't think it was over $200. I would need to go check.

The other thing is finding gloves that fit, are warm enough, and aren't too bulky to push the safety off or to unload my gun without removing my gloves. I've settled for the first three (most important), but I haven't had any yet that I can take the shells out of my o/u without taking my gloves off. Well, I should say until maybe now. My husband brought home a couple pair of gloves he found just last week. The brand is UnderArmour. Even though I haven't used my shotgun yet, I was at a picnic field trial last weekend and it was freezing in the morning. Not only were these thin well fitting gloves warm, but I was able to get money from my wallet and zip or or unzip my jacket.

I've been hunting for about 24 years. Not only is it good to know that FINALLY there is/will be affordable clothing that fits women, but that my daughters and granddaughters will have lots to choose from. Keep up the good work!

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:46 pm

I was ready to give my input but I guess I am not a "real" woman according to your description so I can't help you. I have problems finding hunting pants to fit. A lot of times I end up in boys XL but the rise is not cut right. I also have to buy boys XL shirts, and forget about finding a vest small enough. I have a half vest but I have to jerry rig it to make it fit around my waist. For gloves I got lucky a few years ago and Wal-Mart had youth sized ones that fit so I bought several pairs when they went on clearance.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:51 pm

Agree... vests are usually too long for my short frame. I have to have strap vests so I can tighten and even then they are just barely short enough. All my training junk is banging my thighs in the pockets of most vest.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:13 pm

[quote="frosso"]I'm working with a friend who is a seamstress to develop some women's hunting clothes (primarily upland stuff) that fit real women (not twiggy) and won't empty the bank account. I would like some input on what women would like to see available. .............quote

Field pants in a short length option. We short people have to have them cut off ( another $10.00) and then you have this balloning at the bottom as they weren't meant to be cut off.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

frosso

Post by frosso » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:42 pm

Sharon wrote:
frosso wrote:I'm working with a friend who is a seamstress to develop some women's hunting clothes (primarily upland stuff) that fit real women (not twiggy) and won't empty the bank account. I would like some input on what women would like to see available. .............quote

Field pants in a short length option. We short people have to have them cut off ( another $10.00) and then you have this balloning at the bottom as they weren't meant to be cut off.
I'm short so I agree.

Didn't mean to offend anyone with the real women comment. It just seems all the clothes are made for very straight very skinny figures. Some women look great in that and they like low rise pants. I'm not a big person but I have hips and I'm older so I have a few areas I would like to cover :wink: I have lots of friends that are heavier than me and they really have trouble finding stuff. Everything seems to be cut really skimpy and it is not flattering when you get older to have tight stuff. I just want to be confortable when I'm hunting.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:58 am

Ya know girl's, the pant's really aren't a problem. I've been wearing jeans hunting for 50 years and they work fine. If you really need that stuff they put on the front, your girl's! make that yourselves. Some of that heavier plastic looking material and sew it to the legs. Shoot, if people can sew on patches that should be easy. My wife used to put patches on my jean's on my patches to keep from having to buy new ones. I would almost bet a double layer of denim would do the trick! And the best part is you can get them on sale for about $12!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:18 pm

Sorry I wasn't really offended it was just bad timing. I just got done talking to someone and found myself making excuses for being "skinny" so she wouldn't feel bad. I am in my 50's but have only been hunting for 14 years or so.
I would like a coat that is warm and fits good I have a problem of catching my coat when bringing my gun up.

frosso

Post by frosso » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:20 pm

DonF wrote:Ya know girl's, the pant's really aren't a problem. I've been wearing jeans hunting for 50 years and they work fine. If you really need that stuff they put on the front, your girl's! make that yourselves. Some of that heavier plastic looking material and sew it to the legs. Shoot, if people can sew on patches that should be easy. My wife used to put patches on my jean's on my patches to keep from having to buy new ones. I would almost bet a double layer of denim would do the trick! And the best part is you can get them on sale for about $12!
Spoken like someone who has never tried to sew cordura. How hard could it be? :roll: You can't use a typical home sewing machine with cordura and in case you haven't noticed not all women take home economics in HS. I'm glad plain jeans work for you and I appreciate your comments but some places jeans just don't cut it. I was in a narly ravine today chasing a cripple and if I hadn't been wearing chaps and a heavy shirt I would have been shredded. I would love to have the option to wear jeans with brush cloth but you can't find that for women.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:27 pm

Ugly Dog Hunting has good ones for women. Jeans with cordura overlay. I think Wrangler makes them? They fit snug, so order a size larger. They also have women's vests.

leahwillemsen

Post by leahwillemsen » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:52 pm

I am a taller women and would like to see longer inseams. I typically end up in mens hunting clothing, which is fine, but every girl likes to look good even if it is while out hunting.
Hiland Chesapeakes

Ottercreek's Wake Up Little Susie
Eyez To The Sky Morning Teal

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:03 am

frosso wrote:
DonF wrote:Ya know girl's, the pant's really aren't a problem. I've been wearing jeans hunting for 50 years and they work fine. If you really need that stuff they put on the front, your girl's! make that yourselves. Some of that heavier plastic looking material and sew it to the legs. Shoot, if people can sew on patches that should be easy. My wife used to put patches on my jean's on my patches to keep from having to buy new ones. I would almost bet a double layer of denim would do the trick! And the best part is you can get them on sale for about $12!
Spoken like someone who has never tried to sew cordura. How hard could it be? :roll: You can't use a typical home sewing machine with cordura and in case you haven't noticed not all women take home economics in HS. I'm glad plain jeans work for you and I appreciate your comments but some places jeans just don't cut it. I was in a narly ravine today chasing a cripple and if I hadn't been wearing chaps and a heavy shirt I would have been shredded. I would love to have the option to wear jeans with brush cloth but you can't find that for women.
I tried jeans for about the first year we had the dog & they were not up to the task at all: my legs were covered in scratches when we were done. (One of those "ouch" moments in the shower!)

Also, contrary to the stereotype, not all women can sew.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:22 am

I've seen the SHE apparal for women - it sucks in the field. Looks great on, but isn't durable at all. I'd like to have a nice set of brush pants and a vest and shirt. So....just what you were thinking about making!

I'd volunteer to be a test case for something as well. I hunt a ton and it would get some good use in the quail/pheasant/rabbit fields. The vest is a good one - since we can just wear anything under it. But I'd still like a nice fitting woman's shooting shirt. The men's sizes just hang on me. I'm short (5'3 or 5'4) and I wear a size 10.

Can your gal make waders too? Waders that fit a woman are so hard to find. I just slog around in mens that are too big for me.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:33 pm

Shooting shirts for women would be wonderful, ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE SET UP FOR LEFT HAND SHOOTERS! Patches on both shoulders would work, but having designated left hand shirts would be nice. To my knowledge, no one is making them.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:24 pm

you gals let me know if you want me to draw something up...I have some thoughts :twisted:

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:43 pm

Chukar12 wrote:you gals let me know if you want me to draw something up...I have some thoughts :twisted:

You are frightening me.

frosso

Post by frosso » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:39 pm

Thank you for the great feedback. One of the hurdles for women clothing manufacturers is that there is a greater deviation from the norm on women shapes than on men. We are thinking about doing something where you send your measurements and we customize and guarantee fit. We may need some guinea pigs for testing and I know all ya'll hunt if you're on this forum so you could potential test durability for us. I'll pm each of you my email and you can choose to email me back if you want to stay involved.

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:19 pm

frosso wrote:Thank you for the great feedback. One of the hurdles for women clothing manufacturers is that there is a greater deviation from the norm on women shapes than on men. We are thinking about doing something where you send your measurements and we customize and guarantee fit. We may need some guinea pigs for testing and I know all ya'll hunt if you're on this forum so you could potential test durability for us. I'll pm each of you my email and you can choose to email me back if you want to stay involved.
Dear Chukar12 - Don't even think about responding to this one. :lol:

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:34 pm

but...but...but....sigh

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:36 pm

leahwillemsen wrote:I am a taller women and would like to see longer inseams. I typically end up in mens hunting clothing, which is fine, but every girl likes to look good even if it is while out hunting.
DITTO most womens clothes too short in arms and legs and very uncomfortable to sit in
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:26 pm

frosso wrote:Thank you for the great feedback. One of the hurdles for women clothing manufacturers is that there is a greater deviation from the norm on women shapes than on men. We are thinking about doing something where you send your measurements and we customize and guarantee fit. We may need some guinea pigs for testing and I know all ya'll hunt if you're on this forum so you could potential test durability for us. I'll pm each of you my email and you can choose to email me back if you want to stay involved.
As a SCUBA Instructor I would run across this problem all the time with equipment manufacturers. They figured if they just made it "smaller & pink" that women would be satisfied. NOT!

I echo a previous poster in that we need shorter arms, higher waists, etc.

But above all IT MUST BE AFFORDABLE! I'm tired of having to pay more for my goods/services simply because I'm female. The principles are the same, but for some reason mfgs think it's ok to charge us more for our pants or shirts than a comparably sized male shirt or pants.

Set it up with better sizing and good pricing & you'll have your customers.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!