Concrete repair Q (kennel related... mostly)

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Concrete repair Q (kennel related... mostly)

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:04 pm

I have a finished insulated shed, turned indoor dog room. It has an ooooollllddd conrete floor in pretty bad shape, and it has always leaked rather badly in the rain. Due to not being able to keep the water out I have not built up the floor for laminate or such, and have just left it concrete. The structure of the shed is rough cut HARDwood, and there is a rise around the conrete of this wood, about 2 inches, but the floor is not level. AT all

I'd like to refinish and level the floor . Should I just refinish the concrete up to the top of the 2inch wood (with acid prep and bonding agent) or can I just use a self leveling compound and then leave it exposed or paint it perhaps? Also how thick can self leveling compound be applied? It does not need to be level with the 2", but I think it will be more than an inch in places just to be level. Room is I think 16 x 12.

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks

RichK

Re: Concrete repair Q (kennel related... mostly)

Post by RichK » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:26 am

Why not just mix up some concrete and level it?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:49 am

Do you have the leaking stopped?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:04 am

Best way. Jack up and support the building . bust out the old floor, put in about 8" of gravel, install a floor drain, make sure you have good pitch to the drain, in a cold climate consider hot water heat in the slab, lay 1/2" rebar 2ftX2ft, pour a new slab. put sealer on slab. Let the building down and move the dogs in. Should be good to go for a long time.
Should be easy to break up the old slab. takes about 2 1/2 to 3 yards of concrete. Hardest part is putting the fill in.
Does it still leak now? If so that would need to be addressed.
Any thing else you do is stopgap at best and will crack sooner or later. Good Luck!!!!!!
Snow is up to my ears and still coming , needed something to do. Thanks Cj

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:11 am

No, still leaks every time it rains. I believe it is because the concrete is below grade a bit and there is no cinder block edge. Its just old wood that is leaking. I have sealed the wood. But there is a gap between the wood and concreteand in the low spots its a large gap. I have been unsuccesful getting the gap sealed and nothing is staying bonded to both wood and concrete. I have run flashing outside, and put drainage ditch and gutters... but little improvement. I was hoping raising the concrete above the gap might help? ?

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:13 am

cjhills wrote:Best way. Jack up and support the building . bust out the old floor, put in about 8" of gravel, install a floor drain, make sure you have good pitch to the drain, in a cold climate consider hot water heat in the slab, lay 1/2" rebar 2ftX2ft, pour a new slab. put sealer on slab. Let the building down and move the dogs in. Should be good to go for a long time.
Should be easy to break up the old slab. takes about 2 1/2 to 3 yards of concrete. Hardest part is putting the fill in.
Any thing else you do is stopgap at best and will crack sooner or later. Good Luck!!!!!!
That sounds effective but $$ hmmm...

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:35 am

In our area maybe $500 or less for material. It would solve all your issues including the water if you raise it high enough. Probably don't need the floor heat where you live. You could probably also skip the rebar, since you don't have a frost issue.
Sounds like you have put in a lot of time battling the water. You wouldn't have to do that again. Cj

deke

Post by deke » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:45 pm

cjhills wrote:Best way. Jack up and support the building . bust out the old floor, put in about 8" of gravel, install a floor drain, make sure you have good pitch to the drain, in a cold climate consider hot water heat in the slab, lay 1/2" rebar 2ftX2ft, pour a new slab. put sealer on slab. Let the building down and move the dogs in. Should be good to go for a long time.

Sounds like the best fix.