Gold panning

cole.nelson782

Gold panning

Post by cole.nelson782 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:40 am

Thinking of starting a new summer time hobby since I sold my play boat. Thinking of getting itto gold panning. Never done it before wondering if anyone else has and if so where I should shop for my supplies, nothing big just pans and a small sluice box for now.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: Gold panning

Post by Neil » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:03 am

I am a self proclaimed expert as I watch "Gold Rush".

First you suspend all common sense, then you find a group of helpers even stupider.

Next step sell to a rich producer and even stupider investers, cause there is no way those jacklegs are making money at it.

Now I think there may be real money in uranium.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:17 am

It's a "back breaker", so you'll need to see your Chiropractor after each panning trip.
You can use your gold income to pay the Chiro.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:17 am

There is good money in charging to tell others how to make money. Other than that it has to be nothing more than a waste of time from what i have seen.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:54 am

I tried this back in the 70's in Colorado. Spent all day panning. I ended up with about 5 cent worth. I was done. Although a guy that was with us did end up with a nugget about a 1,000 dollars worth. Good luck
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:19 pm

Not as fun but some people set out old cell phone boxes and every cell phone has a little bit of gold in it, you can look it up online but some people make a living off of it :lol:
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:57 pm

Hmmm. Lots of really good info lol. Im just using it as an excuse to get away from the house and its much cheaper then the boat. I guess I'll just have to hit the ground running on it. Its just more of a tinker with thing not a way to make a living by any means. At least with this I can take the dogs up and let them run but theres are alot of claims in the area i live so maybe ill strike it rich!!

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:13 am

Check out the GPAA (gold prospectors association of America) if you are interested in gold prospecting it would be a good place to start

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:11 pm

I did some prospecting back in college. I was looking toward a degree in geology so it was right up my alley. I really enjoyed it, but didnt find anything but a few flakes. My step dad just moved to Idaho and going to get into panning a little more so I am thinking about getting back into it again. I definately had fun and the thought of knowing you might get lucky kept me going.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Well bought me a couple of pans the other day and was getting 5-10 pieces of flour gold per pan and think i may have found me a few small gems. We have a pretty good gem area up her ill have to take those to a gem shop and see. But it is really relaxing. Think once it warms up the wife may even want to go.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:15 pm

5-10 flakes per pan is pretty good. Where in Washington are you located?

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:04 am

My buddy does it and in two years of screwing around got 37K worth he cashed in to ski bum off of.Some jackwagon kids that live in his area who were always hitchhiking and bumming drinks at the local bar were drunk and breaking rocks in the creek with a sledgehammer,knocked a granite rock in half and exposed a nugget worth 55K, they bought a junker car and have money for drinks at the bar now.Lot's of gold around here,many old abandoned mines.My buddy was predominalty rootin around in tailing piles that were 100 years old

jwnissen wrote:5-10 flakes per pan is pretty good. Where in Washington are you located?

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:57 am

I live in the wenatchee area. Lucky guy to strike something like that I have always said to myself if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck!!!

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:49 am

I ran into a guy in the back country of BC, he was tooling around with enduro motorcycle. I don't think he made a lot of money, but if you like being in the back country, I'd imagine there are way worst things to do. As light as he was traveling I bet a long weekend would cost him 40$ for gas and food.

cole.nelson782

Post by cole.nelson782 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:18 am

It would cost me about that to go out for a weekend. Plus it will keep the dogs in shape running up and down the hill side