Ice fishing rod combo

DogNewbie

Ice fishing rod combo

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:25 am

Hey,

I'm an inexperienced ice fisherman but me and my buddies are getting more and more into it and it's time to upgrade my stick. Currently I'm using an old stiff rod with my normal walleye reel I use in the summer. I've looked at St. Croix med/light rod combos for walleye and pan fish. Would I be fine with med/light for walleye?Anyone have experience or other recommendations? I'd like the total cost to stay under $50. Thanks.

UpNorthHuntin

Re: Ice fishing rod combo

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:01 am

I fish for Walleyes a lot. All I will use is Light/Med rods for "eyes". Usually no more than 6-8 lb test line as well. They are pretty finniky buggers and I find that the lighter the tackle, the more I catch. You just need to have a good reel with a good drag system on it and don't horse them and break the line. St Croix are nice, but not sure you can find a walleye combo for under $50 bucks if it's a St Croix. Gander Mountain Guide Series stuff is pretty good, and heck, being from Minnesota they carry all kinds of Walleye Combos.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:36 am

What do you think about this set up?

http://www."bleep".com/produ ... 92.4414800

Would you go with a 24" or 28" rod?

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:59 am

DogNewbie wrote:What do you think about this set up?

http://www."bleep".com/produ ... 92.4414800

Would you go with a 24" or 28" rod?
Pretty nice. That would definately work through the ice. I would go with the longer pole depending on the lake though. We pull some lunkers out of Lake ST Clair. Not uncommon to pull 10-13 lb Walleyes out of the lake through the ice. Most are in the 4-5 lb range though and that pole would work fine. If you are going to be fishing and catching some bigger fish though, you might go with a straight medium action pole, but I would definately use that for walleyes. Nice thing is if you are fishing for big gills or big perch, that pole will be good for them as well.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:35 pm

Cool. Thanks for the advice. I'm headed up to Vermilion this weekend so the potential for a hog is good, but mostly 16 - 19" fish I bet.

UpNorthHuntin

Post by UpNorthHuntin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:18 pm

DogNewbie wrote:Cool. Thanks for the advice. I'm headed up to Vermilion this weekend so the potential for a hog is good, but mostly 16 - 19" fish I bet.
Good luck. We have had such a strange winter here in Michigan you can't find any good ice. It will be 0 degrees for a couple days and then hit 50 with rain. Still a lot of open water and no ice I would get out on. I'll have to wait until spring and catch a couple 40+ lb Muskies:)

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:46 pm

the lighter the better for panfish rods using braided line for walleyes will get you stonger line with less dia. i would only us braided line in a heated shelter seems to hold water more which ices up in cold weather more when fishing outside buy yourself a spring bobber for panfish works well with a heavyer rod a flasher such as vexlair are great, some places rent them for around 15 bucks aday if you dont want to buy one, worth there weight in gold just my two cents

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:20 am

The lighter the better for walleye. Several years ago I bought a very light weight combo at Cabelas that I was going to use on panfish. It has turned into my favorite walleye rod now.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:34 am

sdsujacks wrote:The lighter the better for walleye. Several years ago I bought a very light weight combo at Cabelas that I was going to use on panfish. It has turned into my favorite walleye rod now.
You catching big walleye with a light rig?

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:49 am

Your summer reel will be just fine and don't spend to much money on a rods unless your pan fishing its not that big of deal. What you are going to want to have is two rods since you can fish with two in MN, you will be jigging with one rod while your second rod will have a slip bobber on it. Do not spend more than $10 on your slip bobber rod because your rod doesn't need any feel, your bobber is going to do all the work. For walleye I go with 4# test but if your summer reel has 6# test on it I wouldn't change it. In all honesty the rod and reel is probably the least of your concern you could do just as well with a stick and 4# test.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:59 am

nikegundog wrote:Your summer reel will be just fine and don't spend to much money on a rods unless your pan fishing its not that big of deal. What you are going to want to have is two rods since you can fish with two in MN, you will be jigging with one rod while your second rod will have a slip bobber on it. Do not spend more than $10 on your slip bobber rod because your rod doesn't need any feel, your bobber is going to do all the work. For walleye I go with 4# test but if your summer reel has 6# test on it I wouldn't change it. In all honesty the rod and reel is probably the least of your concern you could do just as well with a stick and 4# test.
Yeah, considering there's only a couple weeks left in the season I'll probably keep using my old stick for now. I've been using tip ups for my second hole.

Munster

Post by Munster » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:56 pm

If you are going to get serious, you need to get a rod/reel combo from Thorne Bros. There is the quiver stick and the power noodle coupled with a Okuma fly fishing rod. That is what the hubby uses and so far with the sensitivity he claims he is out fishing his partners 4-1.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:01 am

Munster wrote:If you are going to get serious, you need to get a rod/reel combo from Thorne Bros. There is the quiver stick and the power noodle coupled with a Okuma fly fishing rod. That is what the hubby uses and so far with the sensitivity he claims he is out fishing his partners 4-1.
You come all the way up to Thorn Bros for your gear? That's intense. I'll have to check that one out. Thanks

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:57 am

DogNewbie wrote:
sdsujacks wrote:The lighter the better for walleye. Several years ago I bought a very light weight combo at Cabelas that I was going to use on panfish. It has turned into my favorite walleye rod now.
You catching big walleye with a light rig?
Generally not, no. Most of them I catch are 14-17 inches (sorry I always go by length and not weight) with an occasional 20-23. My gear cannot handle the occasional northern but works great for walleye, I love the good lightweight feel.