The Man Who Shot Bin Ladin

DogNewbie

The Man Who Shot Bin Ladin

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:07 am

Everyone should read this article. It is an amazing inside look into how things went down that night, but more importantly it shows the frustrations of civilian life our soldiers face once they return home.

http://www.esquire.com/features/man-who ... laden-0313

duckn66

Re: The Man Who Shot Bin Ladin

Post by duckn66 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:33 am

Thats very interesting and he is only one of thousands of military personnel who have been faced with that predicament when getting out of the military. If his physical limitations were of such that he could not continue on four more years doing something in the Navy then he should have a medical retirement from the Navy. I'd love to hear all of the story.

I wish him and his family the best.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:13 am

Excellent read...like the part about giving him a job as a beer delivery guy here in Milwaukee! Pretty sad we do more for welfare recipients than we do for our country's heroes.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:19 am

I've never heard the extent of his disabilities are but I can say that he didn't shoot OBL. :D

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:21 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I've never heard the extent of his disabilities are but I can say that he didn't shoot OBL. :D
Are you saying this is a hoax article? What do you know that we don't?

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:12 am

Did you know that OBL needed weekly dialysis back in the 80's so with progression likely needed it much more frequently by the time he was last seen?

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:33 am

I didn't know that. So his kidneys were failing? Couldn't he have gotten a transplant? Do you believe he was already dead?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:37 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Did you know that OBL needed weekly dialysis back in the 80's so with progression likely needed it much more frequently by the time he was last seen?
Not a thing wrong with you believeing whatever you want to believe but you do not have to tell us that you know more than everyone else when you have nothing to back it up other than your conspiracy theory.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:44 am

He bought 2 machines at a convention in Houston, donated one to a hospital in Afghan and mounted the other in a van for mobile use. We destroyed that van pretty early in the war and forced him to head for the caves of Tora Bora on a donkey.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:48 am

DogNewbie wrote:I didn't know that. So his kidneys were failing? Couldn't he have gotten a transplant? Do you believe he was already dead?
It had been reported back several years ago that it was thought he had some problems but after he disappeared it was talked about but no one knew. It was a theory that some had that he had died, possibly from kidney problems. But then they found that he was someplace in Pakistan and they spent several years tracing him down. They ended up getting much of the info from the people they were interagating and water boarding. At least this is what has been reported even though Panetta hated to admit it when testifying before Congress.

There were pictures of what went on.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:59 am

EZZY- do you have a top secret security clearance whose theatre of operation was the Middle east during this time? Ever met Ollie North? Train under guys who were trained by Charles Beckwith? No conspiracy theories here my friend.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:EZZY- do you have a top secret security clearance whose theatre of operation was the Middle east during this time? Ever met Ollie North? Train under guys who were trained by Charles Beckwith? No conspiracy theories here my friend.
The internet is a wonderful place to tell people whatever you want without really proving any of it. I have an "over the top security clearance" that they for got to drop when I got out of the military but it isn't Middle East specific. Ollie is my identical twin that was put out for adoption when we were just a couple of years old but we kept in touch by cell phones before anyone else even knew there was such a thing. Chuck was one of my students but he wasn't quite as good as we expected so we made him a drill instructor while the rest of the class went into operational units. No conspiracy theories here since they prove nothing and are seldom even close to the actual situation.

Don't repeat any of this since most of it is restricted info and would serve little purpose other than to make me look important, and I sure don't need that on a gun dog forum :oops: :? .

Ezzy

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:37 pm

So rather then trying debunk and belittle other members of a forum, share what you know and not just what you've read on the Internet. How about the article itself who can't verify any other than his claims? Esquire? If this guy could prove his story he would go to Time or the talk show circuit and make some money. Let's not mention the fact that it takes a pretty unstable person to claim to be the one who pulled the trigger on the worlds most notorious terrorist who still has followers in this country. Would you put a target on your families back unless you had anserious agenda? Too many holes.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:34 pm

Brazos,
I've seen the pics. Are you saying they were staged? Quite a limb to go out on on a public dog forum. You continue to offer no proof otherwise...?
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:02 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:So rather then trying debunk and belittle other members of a forum, share what you know and not just what you've read on the Internet. How about the article itself who can't verify any other than his claims? Esquire? If this guy could prove his story he would go to Time or the talk show circuit and make some money. Let's not mention the fact that it takes a pretty unstable person to claim to be the one who pulled the trigger on the worlds most notorious terrorist who still has followers in this country. Would you put a target on your families back unless you had anserious agenda? Too many holes.
I agree, you have to trust the journalist that this isn't completely made up. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. They say within the article that the point man confirms he is the shooter and they claim that fairly high up officials knew who the shooter was. Maybe the journalist got confirmation. Who knows. If you read the article, he addresses your questions. He doesn't want his identity known for fear that it would simply put a target on his and his family's backs. It also goes against the SEALS code. His motivation to tell the story is that this is one for the history books and it should be recorded and, more importantly, he wants to shed some light on how difficult the transition into civilian life can be, especially for our special ops people. 18 years of perfecting warfare may merit more help transitioning out of the service than 4 years of hauling supplies from base to base. Not belittling that work, just saying it's not black and white as the system treats it now. I have to agree with Ezzy. You're making statements that you either, shouldn't be releasing because they are classified and you have clearance, or you heard through word of mouth which gives your story as much validity as the article. I'm not saying you're version is not true, I'm just trying saying if you want to persuade us that you know the definitive truth you'll have to give us more.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:41 pm

I'm just waiting for more proof then Esquire Magazine and discussing my opinion on the subject. It takes more than "SEAL 1" was busy tackling two old ladies and didn't see it but yeah SEAL2 did the shooting." let's hear from SEAL 3 who would have been right behind him and seen everything. Also, an author who sits around getting drunk and dropping the F-bomb in print loses a little credibility with me. Im as pro military as anyone but some of these guys are coming home with some loose screws.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I'm just waiting for more proof then Esquire Magazine and discussing my opinion on the subject. It takes more than "SEAL 1" was busy tackling two old ladies and didn't see it but yeah SEAL2 did the shooting." let's hear from SEAL 3 who would have been right behind him and seen everything. Also, an author who sits around getting drunk and dropping the F-bomb in print loses a little credibility with me. Im as pro military as anyone but some of these guys are coming home with some loose screws.
It sounded like you were saying more than that. I agree, more proof would be nice. The journalists has made claims that the CIA operative (referred to as Mentor in the article) confirmed that he was contacted by superiors who identified Shooter as the correct guy. He also made a vague claim that he was at multiple private dinners parties with ST6 members and I think he was hinting at the fact that they were openly talking about how Shooter was the right guy but he didn't directly say that as he got side tracked and focused more on the CIA confirmation. This is from an interview on the Today show that I watched. It'd be nice if those CIA superiors would get in contact with the author and make an official confirmation that his anonymous source is in fact the right guy.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:40 pm

Whether be shot him or not, more assistance in transitioning out would be appreciated, and is USUALLY deserved.
It's my opinion that he was shot in the scenario specified. The photos exist. That was enough for me. What really matters is that he is dead. What more of it do most really care or need to know?
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:03 pm

I agree on the support and it's the private sector stepping up to help but to be honest with this guys record he could go work for companies like Edinburgh Risk, Craft Int. Hit the motivational circuit or be a consultant. He could open his own firearms training academy and both civilians and Military would flock to it. I smell a rat.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:20 pm

~
"At this point, what difference does it make???"

Hmmm......seems like I've heard these words somewhere before!

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Deets

Post by Deets » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:20 pm

wouldnt worry to much about this guy. If he made it to seal team six im sure he will do fine in the civilian world. The guys that make it into these elite special forces teams are the smartest, most drivin men in the armed service. They are alpha males, the pro athletes of the military. If this guy is driving a beer delivery truck it is because he wants to. He might not be able to talk about his missions, but if you put on your resume that you have been Navy Seal for the last 15 years im sure there are alot prior service employers out there that would hire you based on that alone. I think the media is making a pity party out of this. To imply that a guy that can make it to seal team six and can't make it in the civilan world is ridiculous, and a little disrespectful.

frosso

Post by frosso » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Something about this story just doesn't ring true. The SEAL community is a tight community and they look out for each other. It's hard to imagine a highly trained operative up and leaves the military with 4 years to go to retirement with no job prospects and no help from other former SEALS. I've never gotten the impression from special forces guys that I knew that the military tossed them aside when they started having medical problems. It may be a completely true story but it sounds like there is information missing.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Re-enlistment bonus for experienced Special Ops troops at the time was $100,000.hmmm. They also go straight to the front of the line for disability so there are many holes in this story.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:34 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Re-enlistment bonus for experienced Special Ops troops at the time was $100,000.hmmm. They also go straight to the front of the line for disability so there are many holes in this story.
I agree. To be a SEAL you have to be an intelligent person. The thing that baffles me about this story is the insurance. He said that he got out on a Friday and his insurance expired and was baffled that he didn't immediately get into blue cross or blue shield. Well before I got off of active duty I was well informed and went to a week long training on life and benefits after the military. So for someone who is suppose to be extremely smart, things just aren't adding up. All of the SEALS I have met have been the most humble people who never talked about things like that. The last one I met I didn't even know he was a SEAL and I talked with him daily in the gym for months before I saw him in his dress blues with his pin. Not only that, but there are a number of security companies that consultants. So with his disabilities, he still has all of his training and skills to get a high paying job. SEALS have highly desirable skills. Things just aren't adding up. Just my 2 cents.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:24 pm

What really baffles me is that the article states that they don't write books but I just found out that there is a book called "no easy day" written anonymously and the terminology and details are much more synonymous with how those ops go and how the Operators talk. Now I will try to find the date the article for Esquire was written to see if this was nothing more than capatizing on the death of Chris Kyle.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:55 pm

i believe the guy you are talking about is the guy who wrote the book. That didn't set well with the pentagon.

Ezzy

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:17 pm

No, it's 2 different guys claiming the same thing. One Has detailed it in a book and another proclaimed it in Esquire. One has detailed information and uses the proper terminology and the other was written by a smutt mag while telling stories getting drunk.. This article is a hoax. "Matt" isn't asking for disability and looking for hand outs.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:07 am

Esquire is backpedaling on some of the healthcare statements now, but the punch has aleady been made, and a lot of folks will only remember the initial article. I'm not sure which anti-Esquire article I read this morning, but one mentioned the VA taking them to task. Married to a former Marine, injured and discharged almost 20 years ago, for a service related back injury--the Esquire story had holes in it for me. And with holes like that, I tend to wonder if there is any truth to it. Supposedly the printed version of the magazine is slightly different than the web link version...

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/ex-seal- ... /id/490024
Last edited by wems2371 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:19 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:No, it's 2 different guys claiming the same thing. One Has detailed it in a book and another proclaimed it in Esquire. One has detailed information and uses the proper terminology and the other was written by a smutt mag while telling stories getting drunk.. This article is a hoax. "Matt" isn't asking for disability and looking for hand outs.
No he was looking for a multi million dollar book deal. Do you really believe that simply putting your writing in a book makes it more likely to be the truth. Assuming that the Shooter is a ST6 member involved in the raid and not a figment of the authors imagination, I tend to believe the guy that isn't making any money. The "Matt" guy even says he only shot Bin Laden when he was already on the ground bleeding profusely. More of a souvenir than anything.
wems2371 wrote:Esquire is backpedaling on some of the healthcare statements now, but the punch has aleady been made, and a lot of folks will only remember the initial article. I'm not sure which anti-Esquire article I read this morning, but one mentioned the VA taking them to task. Married to a former Marine, injured and discharged almost 20 years ago, for a service related back injury--the Esquire story had holes in it for me. And with holes like that, I tend to wonder if there is any truth to it.
It may be true that he was misinformed about his benefits, but, more important, how is a healthcare plan that doesn't cover your family useful? I think that's probably the main issue. That's why he's paying out of pocket for healthcare.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:34 am

DogNewbie wrote:It may be true that he was misinformed about his benefits, but, more important, how is a healthcare plan that doesn't cover your family useful? I think that's probably the main issue. That's why he's paying out of pocket for healthcare.
Just because it isn't under the guise of the Veteran's Administration, the government has other forms of healthcare that would provide for his family, if he's truly in need.

http://www.insurekidsnow.gov/

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:29 am

So one guy writes a book and another sells his story to Esquire. One is successful and the other is sticking his hand out claiming he's owed something. Which story is real? bottom line is nobody will ever know unless the Pentagon releases the names and that's not gonna happen. I actually like discussing these things so don't anyone tale it as an argument. It is bringing out some painful flashbacks though so maybe I need to use my benefits. Lol just kidding .

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:So one guy writes a book and another sells his story to Esquire. One is successful and the other is sticking his hand out claiming he's owed something. Which story is real? bottom line is nobody will ever know unless the Pentagon releases the names and that's not gonna happen. I actually like discussing these things so don't anyone tale it as an argument. It is bringing out some painful flashbacks though so maybe I need to use my benefits. Lol just kidding .
The author says the shooter is getting no compensation from this story. Again, you gotta choose to believe him, but I guess until I have reason not to believe him I will. I don't see this as him feeling he's owed something, but rather that he'd like to see more support for special ops guys transitioning to civilian life. I don't think that is much to ask of us. There's a difference in feeling owed something and asking for help. That transition may not have been as difficult for you, I don't know your history, but I do know it has been for my cousin after 8 years of force recon. He talks about how he's been successful in active duty and enjoyed it and now, leaving that behind and working towards a vocation that isn't nearly as satisfying when it comes to feeling like you're making a direct difference in the lives of the people around is tough to do. So hard that he's made a really difficult decision to try to get back into active duty, which will result in him being separated from his wife for years to come. It's a complicated situation. His job satisfaction as a marine was through the roof. But, active duty for the next 15 years may not be the smartest choice for his family's future. I can imagine those soldiers that do decide to leave that satisfying job to try and find a civilian job would have difficulty seeing how they are making a difference compared to what they used to do. Going from hero to wall street banker or motivational speaker or beer truck driver can't be easy and I think he's just asking for help and that's ok in my book. No one got to where they are today completely by themselves.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:24 pm

By the time a soldier makes it onto a SEAL Team much less T6, he has raised his right hand and volunteered to push his mind and body beyond what most soldiers can even comprehend. For that, they are paid MUCH more than the average soldier. They also go straight to the front of the line for benefits. I will read through the article again with an open mind and see if I still have issues. I will confess that I didn't make it very far into it before discounting it because of the wording. I'm currently in talks about setting up a non-profit to take former Spec Ops soldiers hunting, fishing and shooting. I will be purchasing body armor, buying a beat up VW and upping my life insurance after recent events though. :(