farm land trust

Allin13

farm land trust

Post by Allin13 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:03 pm

Anyone know if farm land that is in a trust can ever be sold? I have 20 ac around my house I would love to buy but its in a trust.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: farm land trust

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:28 pm

Depends on the trust. My dad wanted to leave a beautiful piece of land on a large lake to my brother , but my brother was only 14 and my Dad knew he'd sell it off fast for a car or something. It was put in a trust for my brother's kids when they turned 18. That kept it in the family for another 20 years. My brother tried everything in court to get that overturned but was not successful.
If my brother had not had any kids it would have been interesting to see how that legally worked out.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

rufuslatke

Post by rufuslatke » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:00 pm

If it's a normal trust just talk to the trustee. He holds legal title and would be able to sell the land if the trust instrument allows. If it's a conservation trust you're probably SOL.

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:02 pm

Its just farm land. the guy put it in a trust because his boy died on it. but that was a long time ago