Toyota Tundra

Back

Toyota Tundra

Post by Back » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:44 pm

I have always driven a Ford F150, all the way back to turning 16... But I am really thinking about a Toyota Tundra. My wife has had two Camrys and now a Lexus SUV and they have all been good cars. What are you guys thoughts on the Tundra?? My wife keeps telling me that I won't be happy with it because I don't like change... But I'm really considering buying one. Thoughts?

JonnyNC

Re: Toyota Tundra

Post by JonnyNC » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:30 am

I was in the same boat. I just got a crewmax and Ive been real happy with it. I felt bad buying anything other than a ford but it was the right decision. This thing drives so smooth and has good power. The backseat is huge, I can fit two dog boxes plus all my gear. I definitely recommend it

fishpond

Post by fishpond » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:01 am

I'm a Toyota fan on my third Tacoma. I would love to have a Tundra,; However,

I've got two friends who bought one,and both got rid of them over 14 mpg fuel consumption.

That being said, it's a really nice truck.

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:23 am

why not stay with the f150? the new ones get really good mpg. are you pulling a horse trailer?

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:26 am

I would love to buy a new F150 with the ecoboost motor they have good power and mpg for a truck.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:40 pm

Alot of guys around these parts letting loose of their fords, dodges, and GMs, and buying tundras. I think partially cause they are built an hour south of here and partially because they make a good product..... heck you can tow a space shuttle what more could you want.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:03 pm

I just read in a concumer report I think, that the Tundra was really good but one of the most costly to own because of repair costs.. The Dodge Ram was just rated No. 1 by Motor-Trend. Just got home a few minutes ago from our local Ford-Dodge dealer and the were talking about the Ram sales running rings around the Ford for 2013.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:06 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I just read in a concumer report I think, that the Tundra was really good but one of the most costly to own because of repair costs.. The Dodge Ram was just rated No. 1 by Motor-Trend. Just got home a few minutes ago from our local Ford-Dodge dealer and the were talking about the Ram sales running rings around the Ford for 2013.

Ezzy
Man, I just can't get over the look of the ram. As much as I wish I could buy on performance, I can't drive a truck I think is ugly. Interesting though. So are the Toyoda parts made over seas and shipped to US to be assembled? Is that what drives up the repair cost?

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:11 pm

I have driven Fords all my life too but bought a Tundra a little over 3 years ago and I love it. It is quickly approaching 100,000 and not one problem yet.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

denvergsp

Post by denvergsp » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:29 pm

I just bought a 2012 Tundra a few months ago. Other than the 14mpg I have no complaints. The ride is alot smoother than the newer fords and chevys I've been in.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:32 pm

DogNewbie wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:I just read in a concumer report I think, that the Tundra was really good but one of the most costly to own because of repair costs.. The Dodge Ram was just rated No. 1 by Motor-Trend. Just got home a few minutes ago from our local Ford-Dodge dealer and the were talking about the Ram sales running rings around the Ford for 2013.

Ezzy
Man, I just can't get over the look of the ram. As much as I wish I could buy on performance, I can't drive a truck I think is ugly. Interesting though. So are the Toyoda parts made over seas and shipped to US to be assembled? Is that what drives up the repair cost?
Toyota Tundra have a higher percentage of American made parts than Ford, Dodge, or GM trucks.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:58 pm

I would love to own a Tundra also, but the only thing stopping me right now is for repairs I would have a 110 mile round trip to get repairs done, as for a ford or dodge its more like 3 mile round trip lol.

Corry

Back

Post by Back » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:39 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:Alot of guys around these parts letting loose of their fords, dodges, and GMs, and buying tundras. I think partially cause they are built an hour south of here and partially because they make a good product..... heck you can tow a space shuttle what more could you want.

Jim
You hit the nail on the head... They make a good product.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:09 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:Alot of guys around these parts letting loose of their fords, dodges, and GMs, and buying tundras. I think partially cause they are built an hour south of here and partially because they make a good product..... heck you can tow a space shuttle what more could you want.

Jim
Thats interesting since there sales are about half of what they had been, in 2007 they produced about 200K tundras last year it was down to 100K., must be a regional thing.

denvergsp

Post by denvergsp » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:39 pm

nikegundog wrote: Thats interesting since there sales are about half of what they had been, in 2007 they produced about 200K tundras last year it was down to 100K., must be a regional thing.
I would think the economy played a big part in those numbers.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:57 pm

denvergsp wrote:
nikegundog wrote: Thats interesting since there sales are about half of what they had been, in 2007 they produced about 200K tundras last year it was down to 100K., must be a regional thing.
In 2007 the F150 sold 695K units at dropped to 645K in 2012, the Tundra dropped roughly in half in the same time frame.

denvergsp

Post by denvergsp » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:12 pm

I find those numbers interesting. I wouldn't say there's just as many Tundra's as there are f150's, Ram's, or silverado's in my area, but I've seen alot more of them in the past few years. Like you said before, it could be a regional thing.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:34 pm

The single biggest factor that governs what is being driven in any area is the dealer.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:32 pm

I had an 07 Tundra. It was a lemon from the get go. Spent almost as much time in the shop as on the road. In the early years (of the full size Tundra) they had "bed hop", probably didn't hurt anything but sure looked weird when it hit bumps. Fuel mileage was absolutely terrible. I wasn't a fan of the traction control aspect of it at all. Had to be in 4wd if the road even got a bit muddy, especially if you were going uphill.

They are roomy on the inside though. And I am sure that not all of them break down as much as mine did or there wouldn't be any on the road. My wife has a 4 runner and its a great little vehicle.

I went back to a Chevy though and couldn't be happier. Always drove Chevy's and it was like putting on an old hunting coat when I got back into one.
Last edited by duckn66 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:42 pm

nikegundog wrote:

Jim
Thats interesting since there sales are about half of what they had been, in 2007 they produced about 200K tundras last year it was down to 100K., must be a regional thing.

You gota remember that their is a factory about an hour south of here and alot of folks either work there or know someone who does.

JIm
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:51 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:
nikegundog wrote:

Jim

You gota remember that their is a factory about an hour south of here and alot of folks either work there or know someone who does.

JIm
Makes sense.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:42 am

whatsnext wrote:I would love to buy a new F150 with the ecoboost motor they have good power and mpg for a truck.
Toyota makes a great product, I am driving an 05 tacoma four door 2 wheel drive prerunner now and love it. I know the tacoma is the little brother to the tundra and I am getting 19.5-21 mpg on average. My tundra owning buddies are getting 12 -14 and leave them parked. One buddy bought a 2012 f-150 ecoboost four door 4x4 and he's getting 22-24 and has more cab room than my f-350 four door. I have considered selling the Tacoma and the f-350 to get just a ecoboost four door.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:57 am

gotpointers wrote:
whatsnext wrote:I would love to buy a new F150 with the ecoboost motor they have good power and mpg for a truck.
Toyota makes a great product, I am driving an 05 tacoma four door 2 wheel drive prerunner now and love it. I know the tacoma is the little brother to the tundra and I am getting 19.5-21 mpg on average. My tundra owning buddies are getting 12 -14 and leave them parked. One buddy bought a 2012 f-150 ecoboost four door 4x4 and he's getting 22-24 and has more cab room than my f-350 four door. I have considered selling the Tacoma and the f-350 to get just a ecoboost four door.
We've had a 2012 F-150 for three months and it's great.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Back

Post by Back » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 am

gotpointers wrote:
I know it might be hearsay, but I have heard that he Ecoboost engines are failing around 100K miles. I'm still not sure of a V6 engine that is supposed to have as much or more power than the other V8 on the road...

I'm just not sold on the Ecoboost yet.

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:53 am

Turbos do wonders just look at buick GN's ,toyota supras,mitsubishi evo's,Subaru STI's and more, a 6 cylinder with a turbo WILL make great power and get better gas milage and have a great power band . As far as them falling apart i do not think they have been around long enough to tell but i could be wrong or it's just the same old banter that some makes are not reliable.

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:17 pm

http://www.fuelly.com/car/

check out his website guys, you can check out all the models mpg's

I own a 2003 tundra, different body style than the new one and quite a bit better on gas. I have 230K kms on the truck, only have replaced tires, rad cap, and brakes. Not even an alignment and its my oil patch truck. Best truck i have ever owned hands down. That being said i buying a 4 door eco boost. There on sale 13k off normal price if you buy a 2012 new on lot, Toyota never ever gives deals close to that.

Back

Post by Back » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:24 pm

The turbos are what I have heard are the issue.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:29 pm

Back wrote:
gotpointers wrote:
I know it might be hearsay, but I have heard that he Ecoboost engines are failing around 100K miles. I'm still not sure of a V6 engine that is supposed to have as much or more power than the other V8 on the road...

I'm just not sold on the Ecoboost yet.
That's one thing I'm waiting to see about that eco boost motor also. I know already that the Toyota's are bulletproof. I still have my old 85 4 runner with the 22 re. I think that truck will outlast all my others.

klewis

Post by klewis » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:44 pm

ezzy333 wrote:The single biggest factor that governs what is being driven in any area is the dealer.

Ezzy
I totaly agree with this.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:36 pm

We have one. Has close to 90,000 miles not one issue yet, and it does go off road a couple time a year duck hunting. It's 4 door with fiberglass camper top and gets about 18 MPG I think. No matter what. HWY or not, trailer or not....always. Turning radius is the only thing we dont like.
Traded up from the tacoma and as a smaller person, I LOVED the Tacoma, but next time if I got a Tacoma I'd need the Full size bed. (Gotta fit all those dogs...) Have had great luck with the Toyota.
Fords are just $$
If we could swing that we would like that to I am sure. But with the kids and needing the 4 door, sure does add to the price tag

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:43 am

I love my Tacoma and would have taken a tundra any day. Made in America with Japanese parts, you can't go wrong. Ford's were just too uncomfortable, the delay of response when you give it gas, and the future cost of repairs are why I didn't get an F150.

I put 180k on my 07 Tacoma and have only changed the fluids and sparkplugs. Can't do that with a f150. It would have been Found On Road Dead a long time ago.

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:37 am

If it does not have a diesel engine in it it really isn't a truck now is it :twisted: , every thing else will ALWAYS fall short.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:51 am

I'm a GM guy, but Toyota makes a nice truck. Wish they would make a 3/4 and 1 ton chassis.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:19 am

ezzy333 wrote:The single biggest factor that governs what is being driven in any area is the dealer.

Ezzy
If the single biggest factor is the dealer, how do you explain how the Tundra sales have dropped by half in a matter of five years. Seems like the Tundra was a flop and has been abandoned by loyal Toyota owners.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Economy and the fact they don't wear out and get traded very often. Plus the repair cost if you do have a problem. I don't really follow where you are coming from though since the fact of lower sales has nothing to do with what is being driven within a certain region.

Ezzy

JonnyNC

Post by JonnyNC » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:13 pm

nikegundog wrote:
denvergsp wrote:
In 2007 the F150 sold 695K units at dropped to 645K in 2012, the Tundra dropped roughly in half in the same time frame.
Those numbers your citing represent the entire F series not just f-150's. Regardless, I'm not surprised that ford sells more trucks than toyota. Most people don't even think about buying anything other than a ford or chevy when it comes to trucks. That was definitely the case with me until I test drove a tundra

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:43 pm

JonnyNC wrote: Those numbers your citing represent the entire F series not just f-150's. Regardless, I'm not surprised that ford sells more trucks than toyota. Most people don't even think about buying anything other than a ford or chevy when it comes to trucks. That was definitely the case with me until I test drove a tundra
My understanding is the "F series" only consists of the F150, in 1998 the F250, and F350 had been reclassified as the "Super Duty series".

ThreeWires

Post by ThreeWires » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:29 am

When I was looking for a truck two years ago, I took a lot of time to drive as many as I could and spoke to a lot of people. I was fortunate to be able to purchase from any of the players (Toyota, Ford, Nissan, Dodge and GM) at their 'friends and family' or similar pricing due to the job I had. Through all of my evaluation a couple of things helped me decide on the Dodge 1500 HEMI:
1) Price-anywhere from $4000-$8000 less vs. Ford and Toyota for a similarly equipped model
2) Local Dodge dealer with a great service department--buy their 'service contract' oil changes 4 for $75.
3) I was impressed with the HEMI--power, towing and good HWY mileage-19mpg. in town sucks 14mpg, like they all do...
4) First time I have ridden in a Dodge that drove like a car.

So far (45k miles) no issues, just a set of tires...

I also have a T100 with 180k on it that is my teenage son's car.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:44 am

You guys need take your foot out of the gas. I have a 2011 Tundra Double Cab with a 4.5 inch lift and 35 in Nitto Trail Grapplers. If I poach behind the truckers I've seen as high as 18.5mph. On average I see about 16 mpg hwy and about 12-13 city. When I drove it home without the lift I got 19mpg doing 60-65 mph. My dad has an F-150 and my brother has a GMC 3500 diesel. My Tundra has been bulletproof compared to theirs. You guys can keep the US junk. Both my brothers, and my dads truck have the cheap crap leather cracking already. They rattle a lot more and they have both had little nitpick problems with them. My tundra has yet to have any problems and even with the lift and 35's, it rides just as nice. I had a Tacoma before and I TRIED to kill that truck to no avail. heck, I even ran it out of oil because the dealer didn't tighten the oil plug tight enough. That motor was SCREEMING before I could get it off the road. Thought I had officially killed it. However, the dealer put new oil in it, ran it, strained it, and the oil was clean. Filled it back up and proceeded to put another 90,000 miles on it before I sold it for my Tundra. Toyota build tanks compared to the US trucks.