Health Question

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Health Question

Post by Sharon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:29 pm

vertigo

Anyone ever had it ? How long did it last?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Health Question

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:30 pm

An hour to several days.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:35 pm

I've had it a week now. :cry:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mxdad777

Post by mxdad777 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:41 pm

Sharon,
Your ear rocks could be loose. I know this sounds like a joke, but I'm totally serious. I had this diagnosed with me by an ENT about 5 years ago and after going through his little head turning treatment and 12 hours of rest, I was fine. Here is a link to what I am talking about. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =103463398
When I have short bouts of vertigo (I get it about once or twice a year) I take antivert and it takes care of it. My bet is since you've had it so long you have loose ear rocks. If you want more info on what he did to me to correct it, shoot me a pm.
Good luck and I hope you get it taken care of. Been there, done that and it's no fun.
Ron

Here is a youtube video I found which demonstrates what the doc did to me. The only difference was my doc had me sleep sitting up for one night and in this video the doc said it isn't necessary. Other than that, it's exactly the procedure I went through.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZgUx9G0 ... re=related

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:44 am

My wife gets it and has to keep medicine on hand for it. I have also known a few others with it. From my understanding and experience, once you have it, it will more than likely be a problem for the rest of your life. My wife will feel it coming on and can take a pill to stop it but it leaves her drowsy the rest of the day.

Good luck and wishing you the best,
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:31 am

There can be various causes of vertigo. Some causes can be serious, but most are not.
You need to find out the cause of your problem before it can be treated properly.
You can't have an accurate treatment plan if you don't have an accurate diagnosis.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:39 am

Sharon wrote:I've had it a week now. :cry:
A trip to the Dr is in order. You may have an ear infection or some other ear-related issue. The only way to tell is to have a physician take a look.

Go already! :?
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:54 am

I'm a Chiro and I see 3 or 4 patients every month with vertigo caused by a particular 'subluxation complex' at the very top of the neck. If your MD can't come up with an accurate answer (called idiopathic vertigo), it might be wise to see your Chiro.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:10 pm

mxdad777 wrote:Sharon,
Your ear rocks could be loose. I know this sounds like a joke, but I'm totally serious. I had this diagnosed with me by an ENT about 5 years ago and after going through his little head turning treatment and 12 hours of rest, I was fine. Here is a link to what I am talking about. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =103463398
When I have short bouts of vertigo (I get it about once or twice a year) I take antivert and it takes care of it. My bet is since you've had it so long you have loose ear rocks. If you want more info on what he did to me to correct it, shoot me a pm.
Good luck and I hope you get it taken care of. Been there, done that and it's no fun.
Ron

Here is a youtube video I found which demonstrates what the doc did to me. The only difference was my doc had me sleep sitting up for one night and in this video the doc said it isn't necessary. Other than that, it's exactly the procedure I went through.
Exactly right on . It's called BPPV and occurs when the crystals in the inner ear fluid get out of place . I had the "Epley manuver " many times but no success. It has been a week now. :roll: Thanks for the link.
I was looking for personal experiences .. thanks.

Thanks Dr. I have seen the doctor and I have no neurological symtoms. A C.T. is a possibility ,(brain lesion , benign tumor against the ear etc.) but for now we're considering it BPPV

I was just looking for someone to tell me that theirs only lasted a week. :)
Last edited by Sharon on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asc

Post by asc » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:01 pm

Sharon wrote:
Ron

Exactly right on . It's called BPPV and occurs when the crystals in the inner ear fluid get out of place . I had the "Epley manuver " many times but no success. It has been a week now. :roll: Thanks for the link.

Thanks Dr. I have seen the doctor and I have no neurological systems. A C.T. is a possibility ,(brain lesion , benign tumor against the ear etc.) but for now we're considering it BPPV

I have BPPV too and have used the Epley with various levels of success, got a script for Hydroxyzine thats seems to help but does make me drowsy.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:44 pm

Sharon wrote:
Ron

Thanks Dr. I have seen the doctor and I have no neurological symtoms. A C.T. is a possibility ,(brain lesion , benign tumor against the ear etc.) but for now we're considering it BPPV

Hubby has an ongoing issue with vertigo over the past year. He saw an ENT and had a myriad of ear tests done that basically showed nothing wrong. But they were interpreted by the ENT as "such and such syndrome"... IOW, the tests were inconclusive and rather than say he didn't know what was wrong, gave it the name they use as a catch all when they don't know what's wrong. :(

Since our GP is an ex-Navy diving officer, he is well aware of what happens when you do 3500+ dives plus spent a good portion of your previous life travelling by air. In a nutshell, he said that hubby's problems are because clearing your ears that many times via Valsalva (pinch your nose & blow softly method) meant that essentially he will always be prone to ear infections. However, despite being on Flonase, he wound up with yet another ear infection last month that kept him in bed for a couple of days and required antibiotics. It's frustrating.

Meanwhile, there are at least 2 people in his family that have to do the "crystal re-alignment thing" with their ears.

Sorry for the long post, but thought you'd like to know it's not YOU.

Pax,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:22 pm

Thank you. It is fading. :)