Trapping set & bait for mink or weasel??

deseeker

Trapping set & bait for mink or weasel??

Post by deseeker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:45 am

I lost all 17 of my adult homers and 2 young ones in one night to a mink or weasel :cry: . I need to know easy sets and good baits to catch them(I won't get anymore homers until I catch them). They dug under the wall of my building where I keep my pigeons--holes are too small for anything but a mink or weasel. I have 110 conibears, #1 long spring, or 1 1/2 coil spring. I've trapped coon and musk rats, but I need a good set for mink. Please help :!: Between a cat running off all my 1st bunch of pigeons and the mink killing all the second bunch of pigeons--I'm having a hard time keeping birds for dog training :evil:

ROTTnBRITT

Re: Trapping set & bait for mink or weasel??

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:21 pm

I believe there was post last year about trapping weasels. If you Google weasel box trap you will find some easy traps to make and what to bait with for them. Not sure about mink. Set one of your traps at the hole they dug and wait?

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:30 pm

Build a box wood with metal mesh on one end and on the other end cut a groove for spring of the 110 to fit in any raw meat will work ,skunk scent will work you can also bend the trigger of the 110 at 90 and add some wire mesh to make a pan instead of a trigger I've seen plastic newspaper boxes used instead of building a box also a rat trap will kill a weasel unsure that It will handle a mink though same idea just use the rat trap rather than the 110 the pan idea works very well on a coniber I hope this helps

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:32 pm

I was in Rangely last winter grouse hunting and came across a Pine Martin trap.
The guy had it up a sloped log that only a cat or weasle type could go up.
It consisted of a News paper, box, that one would have their news paper delivered in.
There was a trap inside with a wicked stinky bait. He must have smeared it out side on the log too as the smell was what drew me there well following Stella.
I am not sure what he used for bait but most people use rotten ripened meat.
I also am not sure what he used for a trap but the set up would have worked with maybe a small spring trap.

A dog would have had to work real hard to get into it or even up to it.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:54 pm

Thanks. I'm headed out the backyard to start my trapline :twisted:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:43 pm

Fresh steak is the best bait. Human odor control on the bait station and trap is very important. Good luck.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:12 pm

I'm not saying you shouldn't rig yourself of them but you probably should also protect your pigeons from critters. Put woven wire under ground and a couple feet away from the pen and bury it about a foot deep. I know guys here that snake proof their chicken house and pens. There's a layer of 1/2x1/2 wire mesh buried about 6 inch's under ground beneath the pen ans house. snakes do not get in. You simply trap and remove the critters you have now, new one's will probably move in to take their place!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:49 pm

"If you're sure it is a mink, , a rat trap in a box, milk jug or drywall pail will do the trick. Use bloody, fresh meat as bait. Check your regulations and make sure you are allowed to trap mink in your area.

PS there are 17 mammals that are referred to as "weasels".
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:00 am

Pigeon sounds like a good bait :)
Sorry...... Couldn't help myself.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:18 pm

Well, Did you ever get the Weasel??? I had the same thing happen to me a few times, years apart. I have a white hide hanging in my shed, I gut shot the last one and he crawled off to die. These were white racing homers, I then got some wild pigeons for training and had a house cat wiped me out----NO, the cat is still alive.
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:11 pm

Set a 110 or a 1.5 leghold where they are entering, or use a box set
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.