AWD Vehicle Tires

rkappes

AWD Vehicle Tires

Post by rkappes » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:01 am

Question.

Bought my vehicle brand new and it has 19,000 miles on it.
I don’t know anything about tires and/or vehicles. I have a screw in my back passenger side tire and a hole in front passenger tire. Both tires will hold air for a day or son. The dealership said the screw is too close to the sidewall on the back tire to repair. The front tire can be repaired but the service person helping me insisted I buy (4) new tires, obviously that’s nothing new with service people at auto shops.
I told her I wasn’t going to put on (4) new tires, seemed asinine to me but maybe I’m wrong.
She then said that we could put on (2) new tires, put the new tires on front and move the older tires to the back.

I just wanted to repair the tire that could be repaired and throw on (1) new tire but she said that (1) new tire on an AWD vehicle is terrible for the vehicle.

Is the (1) tire replacement on an AWD vehicle really bad for it?

I guess I kind of see the point of not replacing just one tire but just wanted to verify. I feel like every time I bring my car in for something they are trying to dupe me.

Meller

Re: AWD Vehicle Tires

Post by Meller » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:27 am

Don't know what kind of vehicle you have but I would only buy one and run it on driverside rear.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:59 am

Unless it is absolute necesity, I dont EVER replace one tire if I can help it. I understand that with 19k on a vehical you dont want to replace them, but it sounds like you have 2 that are there anyhow.
Basically you either get in the pattern of 2 here and 2 there or you are always left changing out a tire with plenty of life somewhere in the rotation.

As far as replacing just one tire on an AWD vehical there should be no difference in replacing one or all 4. essentially the concern would be the difference in overall diameter effecting the speed/distance one tire travels compared to the next and effecting the way the clutches in the differentials react as far as letting one slip or catching for maximum traction. Assuming you go with the same brand and same size tire there could be the same or more difference in 4 brand new tires as there would be between one with 19k as a brand new one.

In short there is no reason that you cant replace just one if you need to.

JIm
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

AWD Vehicle Tires

Post by ACooper » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:42 pm

Replace the two with issues, tire shop will put the new ones on the front and move the other two to the rear. From there on rotate per normal.

ThreeWires

Post by ThreeWires » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:49 pm

Two is best. As far as position, Michelin recommends new tires in the rear.
http://www.michelinman.com/tires-101/bu ... tires.page

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:32 pm

I would go with your dealers recommendation. I had an AWD pontiac and it will be the last AWD I ever own. The dealer said that if there is more that 3/16 difference in any one of the tires (which equates to about 15,000 miles on that car) then the AWD system would activate and be on all the time. Because it is not designed to be engaged like that, it would be just a matter of time before I had drive train issues. I am no gear head and will not profess to be an expert on all the different drive systems but you might want to check into it.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:55 am

Just get the two tires for now and move the old to the back. If I were you in another 20,000 replace the old ones two. Every 6000 miles rotate them until then and you will be fine.

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:20 am

Buy two and KEEP the repairable one. Tey will charge you a reclamation fee then fix it and sell it on the used tire rack.