Quail hatching

DonF
GDF Junkie

Quail hatching

Post by DonF » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:19 pm

Just started this morning. One out another on the way. I'll give them a few days to get out. Incubator is on the brooder and brooder is on and running, water and feed waiting inside it.

Got the adult's the beginning of March this year as day old's and they started laying about a month ago, really small egg's. I figured I would put some in the incubator and see what would happen. Today is the 21st day and they are starting to hatch. Still have a bunch of adults but will use a bunch of them this fall and keep a breeding population. I figure nine to twelve hens with one rooster for three hens should give me all the egg's I will need.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

quackerjack

Re: Quail hatching

Post by quackerjack » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:53 pm

Don, that is great! I would love watching them hatch. What kind of Quail are they?
Peace, it's what's for dinner!

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:28 pm

they sure are fun. Not to brag at all, but you should come to my place. I just finished my 6th and final hatch of quail of the year, 1,500 eggs a piece. Dont be envious though, they eat about 800 lbs of feed a month :roll: . I cant wait till trial season to start selling some!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:05 pm

They are Bob White. My incubator only holds 100 at a time. that will more than do me and friends. If it all goes well I should get several hundred a year. I'm gonna hold back 12 hen's and 4 rooster's for breeder's next year and use the rest now.

AG74

Post by AG74 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:53 pm

DonF wrote:They are Bob White. My incubator only holds 100 at a time. that will more than do me and friends. If it all goes well I should get several hundred a year. I'm gonna hold back 12 hen's and 4 rooster's for breeder's next year and use the rest now.

Hey Don, I read in the Oregon Upland Regs this year that the quail season is open for Mountain, California (valley) and something about Bobwhite can be harvested in the total.... words to that effect anyway... Do you think there might be enough Bobwhites loose in places that they are sustaining small populations in Oregon?

Al

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:09 pm

AG74 wrote:
DonF wrote:They are Bob White. My incubator only holds 100 at a time. that will more than do me and friends. If it all goes well I should get several hundred a year. I'm gonna hold back 12 hen's and 4 rooster's for breeder's next year and use the rest now.

Hey Don, I read in the Oregon Upland Regs this year that the quail season is open for Mountain, California (valley) and something about Bobwhite can be harvested in the total.... words to that effect anyway... Do you think there might be enough Bobwhites loose in places that they are sustaining small populations in Oregon?

Al
The only Bob White's I've ever seen in Ore were left over from field trials and training. For what ever reason they managed to survive. But the problem is that they won't multiply. Everything works except sitting the egg's, they don't do that.

I'm starting to think either I'm a day off or most the eggs aren't fertile. Only have three out now. Opened up another and it did have a chick in it so hoping I'm off on the day.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:29 am

Looked in the incubator and they are coming out all over! If my timing is right, this is the 23rd day. The first three have been in the brooder two days now and doing great.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:39 am

Don, Thanks for posting your process and progress. I for one am very interested in what you are doing and hope you have good results. :)