Hitch Mounted Bike Racks

rkappes

Hitch Mounted Bike Racks

Post by rkappes » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:06 am

Anyone know anything about hitch mounted bike racks?

Found a Allen Deluxe 3-Bike Hitch Mount Rack on Amazon. Was $149 now $69.

SpinoneIllinois

Re: Hitch Mounted Bike Racks

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:58 pm

I've got a Reese Outfitter. It also has a ball, so that you can tow something as well. I used it to haul bikes and tow the popup at the same time. It's not rated for towing a heavy trailer or camper, but it'll tow a popup. Not sure that model is made anymore.
Whatever you choose, make sure it has a removable pin that allows you swing the arm down, so that you can still open your tailgate or SUV doors without having to remove the whole rack. I think that feature is pretty standard on most of them.

rkappes

Re: Hitch Mounted Bike Racks

Post by rkappes » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:55 am

SpinoneIllinois wrote:I've got a Reese Outfitter. It also has a ball, so that you can tow something as well. I used it to haul bikes and tow the popup at the same time. It's not rated for towing a heavy trailer or camper, but it'll tow a popup. Not sure that model is made anymore.
Whatever you choose, make sure it has a removable pin that allows you swing the arm down, so that you can still open your tailgate or SUV doors without having to remove the whole rack. I think that feature is pretty standard on most of them.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!