Dog House Question...

Ghosted3

Dog House Question...

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:05 am

I have a question about "fillers" for dog houses. I know that it is very common for most people to use hay or straw to give the dogs insulation, and something kinda soft to lay on, but my wife is allergic to both of those, and when I get back from work the pup will be coming inside with me. I have thought of blankets, but I have the feeling that I would be washing that every other day or so. Any other ideas that would be on the non allergic side of things by chance? Thanks a ton!

Corry

Big bloc

Re: Dog House Question...

Post by Big bloc » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:32 am

I like to use cedar chips . I get them at TSC stores
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:28 am

Now to go and rub some of those on her and see if she gets a small rash or not... I have been thinking about changing out blankets, but I understand that I would need to bring them in and wash them every other day. Just trying to figure out a way for the dog to spend a few hours outside and not have to get a bath before it comes in because of my wifes crazy allergies. Thanks again.

Corry

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:45 am

In the summer they don't need anything for bedding. Usually they are looking for a cold hard surface to lay on. I use rubber mats in the winter where my dog house is inside my shed and it doesn't get real cold in there.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:56 am

I use a standard floor mat out of a vehicle. Should be a perfect fit in the bottom. Dog hasn't complained once. If they like to chew or rip at the bedding I would use chips or news paper shavings.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Ghosted3 wrote:I have a question about "fillers" for dog houses. I know that it is very common for most people to use hay or straw to give the dogs insulation, and something kinda soft to lay on, but my wife is allergic to both of those, and when I get back from work the pup will be coming inside with me. I have thought of blankets, but I have the feeling that I would be washing that every other day or so. Any other ideas that would be on the non allergic side of things by chance? Thanks a ton!

Corry
i like TOWELS.i bought 6 real soft ones.
each day i put clean one in whiskers crate and throw the used ones in wash.
adult dogs also lay on just big towel in house.
real easy to wash.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:31 pm

JIM K wrote:
Ghosted3 wrote:I have a question about "fillers" for dog houses. I know that it is very common for most people to use hay or straw to give the dogs insulation, and something kinda soft to lay on, but my wife is allergic to both of those, and when I get back from work the pup will be coming inside with me. I have thought of blankets, but I have the feeling that I would be washing that every other day or so. Any other ideas that would be on the non allergic side of things by chance? Thanks a ton!

Corry
real easy to wash.
Thanks, the towel idea sounds great. Ezzy and Ultra, I will most def. keep those ideas in mind, thank you very much!

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:56 pm

Ghosted3 wrote:
JIM K wrote:

Corry
real easy to wash.
Thanks, the towel idea sounds great. Ezzy and Ultra, I will most def. keep those ideas in mind, thank you very much!

i got TOWEL idea from lady called LABBY.she had 12 labs and put most in those show prize contests.
she was 102 when i talked to her,yes thats right 102.
boy did she know all about dogs and labs.

she always tried to make things easy for us too.
towel idea was one of them.

its fairly easy too. i wash about 4 when they get dirty, that leaves me 2 days of clean ones.

with puppy with worms etc, its great. real easy too.
my sister buys those expensive BEDS etc and she is always washing aND COMPLAINING AND THOSE BEDS COST A LOT OF MONEY AND HARD TO WASH ETC.
towels, NICE THICK SOFT ONES ARE VERY QUICK TO REPLACE AT ANY HOUR OF DAY AND WITH PUPPY ,BEEN MANY 2 AM WASHING MACHINE THING GOING ON IN MY HOME LATELY. :lol:
sorry for caps was typing without my reading glasses on. :roll:

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:45 pm

They do make a great idea. I will have to go out and get some of the really thick ones like you mentioned. Keep 1 folded in half or thirds for the pet taxi when it is kennel time in the house. Ideally I just want the pup to be outside when no one is home. When I am home it will be with me :D .

Corry

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:03 am

Towels are good, unless your dog likes to eat them!! :oops:

Brittdogs

Post by Brittdogs » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:53 am

Towels are a good option, be sure to shake them out as much as possible before throwing in the washer, all the dog hair can eventually plug up the machine...I know this from experience. I have a old washer I use just for washing dog towels/blankets.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:32 am

I do not like any kind of cloth as many dogs have died from chewing on them, and puppies like to chew. In the house where you can pretty much monitors continually what they are doing they would be fine. Just don't trust a dog to leve them alone after seeing too many cases where the dog got in trouble with a cloth bedding. Plus we seldom if ever washed their bedding.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:12 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I do not like any kind of cloth as many dogs have died from chewing on them, and puppies like to chew. In the house where you can pretty much monitors continually what they are doing they would be fine. Just don't trust a dog to leve them alone after seeing too many cases where the dog got in trouble with a cloth bedding. Plus we seldom if ever washed their bedding.

Ezzy
Towels, blankets or any kink of cloth would last about 30 seconds with any one of my dogs.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:05 am

Horse stall mat....but try alder chips for allergy.

Towels....any dampness can cause problems, skin and injestion.
Glad no one mentioned rug segments!

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:36 am

I use pine shavings/chips, cheaper than cedar and it does the same thing. The dogs love it, plus, it improves the smell. :D

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:28 am

Pine Shavings: Less toxic than cedar.
Wool blanket washed once a month works good in winter.
Also, If you build a two compartment house you can reduce the loss of heat from the wind.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick