"Goodbye My Lady " by J.Street

Sharon
GDF Junkie

"Goodbye My Lady " by J.Street

Post by Sharon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:54 pm

I know I shouldn't have but just watched the move ( black and white) "Goodbye My lady" ( about a "bird dog") Enjoyed it as much as I did when I saw it 55 years ago, when I was 10. I still need plenty of kleenex. The "equipment" used is a piece of wood with wire wrapped around it, an egg , a a long rope and a 20 gauge. Coveys of "partridge " galore- fed table scraps. Theold folks had interesting ways of trash breaking too - no e collars then. They knew about teaching values that can't be broken back then too.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: "Goodbye My Lady " by J.Street

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:09 pm

Mr. Street's actual bird dog story was The Biscuit Eater. Goodbye, My Lady, while it contained hunting scenes, was about a Basenji. Film trivia includes the fact that the character of My Lady was played by a dog named......My Lady and that the young star of the film kept the dog after filming was completed. The story and the film were the first exposure the general American public had to the barkless African breed. What the film did not include was the followup story where Skeeter gets My Lady back.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:17 am

I have never seen that movie but would love to see one made out of the book, Dumbell. Dumbell of something, can't remember it anymore. Wish I still had it. Maybe Dumbell of Brookview.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:43 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Mr. Street's actual bird dog story was The Biscuit Eater. Goodbye, My Lady, while it contained hunting scenes, was about a Basenji. Film trivia includes the fact that the character of My Lady was played by a dog named......My Lady and that the young star of the film kept the dog after filming was completed. The story and the film were the first exposure the general American public had to the barkless African breed. What the film did not include was the followup story where Skeeter gets My Lady back.
Which is why I put "bird dog" in quotes.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett