Career Networking

codym

Career Networking

Post by codym » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:06 am

Ok here's kind of a shot in the dark. I'm a marine corp vet that just graduated New Mexico State University with a B.A. in criminal justice. After talking with my wife we would really like to move out of NM. We definitely would like to stay in the west i.e Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana etc.... So it is my goal to try and possibly network and gain some contacts in the prospective states for jobs, housing, and so forth. If anyone has any info or would be willing to help me get my foot in the door It would be greatly appreciated. Anything in the fields of probation/parole, corrections, or the like would be of high interest.

Thanks guys I really appreciate you taking the time to read my post.
Cody M.
575-496-3219

Troy08er

Re: Career Networking

Post by Troy08er » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:31 pm

:D didn't see California on your list.
codym wrote:Ok here's kind of a shot in the dark. I'm a marine corp vet that just graduated New Mexico State University with a B.A. in criminal justice. After talking with my wife we would really like to move out of NM. We definitely would like to stay in the west i.e Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana etc.... So it is my goal to try and possibly network and gain some contacts in the prospective states for jobs, housing, and so forth. If anyone has any info or would be willing to help me get my foot in the door It would be greatly appreciated. Anything in the fields of probation/parole, corrections, or the like would be of high interest.

Thanks guys I really appreciate you taking the time to read my post.
Cody M.
575-496-3219
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

codym

Post by codym » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:42 pm

I was at MCRD San Diego and Camp Pendleton Ca. when I was in the marines and I loved it, I just don't think I could ever afford to live there!

shollis

Post by shollis » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:03 pm

One idea that's outside the box. I teach at a private school and our dean of students is a retired marine colonel. In addition to disciplinary issues, he is responsible for building security, teaches a science class, is a contact for local LEOs and even put together a martial arts program he teaches as a PE elective.

If you love kids, you could be a valuable asset to a school.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:26 am

How about looking at conservation agent/game warden type work? I too, graduated from NMSU and both my nephews will be attending in the fall. I don't know if you have an interest in conservation careers, but it is a career you might really enjoy. I work with a lot of conservation officers here in Missouri and they seem to enjoy their career choices.

codym

Post by codym » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:05 pm

I would love to get into a conservation officer type career. I'm going to apply as soon as New Mexico Game and Fish begins to hire again. Not really sure about the other states, I know Az isn't hiring conservation officers right now.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Check out Arkansas - they might be hiring. A not so popular state that really has some "wow" factor for wildlife and some beautiful country. I don't know when the next agent class in Missouri is going on, but if you were interested, I can find that out. I also officed next to a few folks that I could put you in touch with here in MO. MO has a pretty rigorous training program for agents and quite a few applicants, so the competition is stiff. You can shoot me a PM and I'll get back with you.

mudpuppy1299

Post by mudpuppy1299 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Wyoming was hiring a while back, not sure if they still are.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:29 pm

I would think our state would have tons of job security if you want to work in the corrections field. We make the top ten in every Bad list and never see top 20 on the good list.
I have to have dogs patroling, bars on the windows, security cameras up and guns ready. Seems we have more criminals than quail.

codym

Post by codym » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:02 pm

gotpointers wrote:I would think our state would have tons of job security if you want to work in the corrections field. We make the top ten in every Bad list and never see top 20 on the good list.
I have to have dogs patroling, bars on the windows, security cameras up and guns ready. Seems we have more criminals than quail.

Plenty of criminals but no money to hire people to control them.NM is at the very lowest end of the pay spectrum.

hunt 'n way

Post by hunt 'n way » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:58 pm

double post.
Last edited by hunt 'n way on Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

hunt 'n way

Post by hunt 'n way » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:01 pm

Border Patrol has been good to me. Watch for them to be hiring. DEA is open right now. Feel free to PM if you want.