Who might know the breed ?

Max2

Who might know the breed ?

Post by Max2 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Today while at work 2 ladies walked by with Labradoodles. Though I have heard of this breed I have never seen one before. Very nice dogs actually . Not bad looking, nice temperment .seemed Like a nice breed. Their is a dog (sporting group) I believe bird dog that looks similar . Does anyone have any input? Just curious ?

DougB

Re: Who might know the breed ?

Post by DougB » Wed May 02, 2012 4:35 pm

Seen them, and they are nice dogs. I don't believe they have been around long enough to be called a breed. I think most are still first generation crosses, which means mutt or crossbreed. Owners seemed really pleased. I don't know if they hunt at all, but you would think that if both parents did, the pups would have some drive and ability. Expensive.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed May 02, 2012 4:51 pm

The upland or versatile breed you are thinking of may be the spinone. A really shaggy griffon might also resemble a doodle.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Wed May 02, 2012 4:56 pm

I think it was maybe a griffon. I will look one up . The spinone I think is a smaller dog.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:01 pm

Spinone looked close also.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed May 02, 2012 5:02 pm

Spinoni are big dogs. Griffs are the smaller of the two.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Wed May 02, 2012 8:36 pm

DougB wrote:Seen them, and they are nice dogs. I don't believe they have been around long enough to be called a breed. I think most are still first generation crosses, which means mutt or crossbreed. Owners seemed really pleased. I don't know if they hunt at all, but you would think that if both parents did, the pups would have some drive and ability. Expensive.

Actually they have been around for several years. The second generation dogs do not shed. My folks have a second generation dog that is 6 years old. Very smart and loyal dogs. There is also a puddlepointer being bred. I have never seen one, but I am sure they look alot alike.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:48 pm

A lighter colored pudlepointer does resemble.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed May 02, 2012 8:58 pm

cstokes/southeast,ks wrote:
DougB wrote:Seen them, and they are nice dogs. I don't believe they have been around long enough to be called a breed. I think most are still first generation crosses, which means mutt or crossbreed. Owners seemed really pleased. I don't know if they hunt at all, but you would think that if both parents did, the pups would have some drive and ability. Expensive.

Actually they have been around for several years. The second generation dogs do not shed. My folks have a second generation dog that is 6 years old. Very smart and loyal dogs. There is also a puddlepointer being bred. I have never seen one, but I am sure they look alot alike.
Labradoodle is a mutt bred generally by folks trying to make money. The Pudelpointer is an actual breed with a standard and a "type",
Last edited by ACooper on Thu May 03, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Wed May 02, 2012 10:11 pm

your kidding right. The Pudelpointer is not some dreamt up dog from some dog financier trying to make a quick buck. It has as long of a history as a lot of other breeds and was the foundation breed for the Drahthaar.

The dog in question is this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Thu May 03, 2012 3:18 am

bwjohn wrote:
your kidding right. The Pudelpointer is not some dreamt up dog from some dog financier trying to make a quick buck. It has as long of a history as a lot of other breeds and was the foundation breed for the Drahthaar.

The dog in question is this:
Im guessing you quoted the wrong post because my post certainly did not imply any of that.....

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Thu May 03, 2012 10:19 am

I am not the only one that got the same meaning out of the statement.

brandon

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu May 03, 2012 11:47 am

Yeah I was confused with the spelling combined with the fact that they are very different dogs despite the similar names. The pudelpointer was a breed created in the 17th century by taking German hunting pudels and crossing them to english pointers. Since the pudel hair gene is so dominate, they only use about 10 pudels to every 90 pointers in the breeding program until they got what they were looking for....since then there has not been any poodle or pudel added into the lines so the result of buying a pudelpointer in hopes of getting a dog like a labradoodle would be a dog you weren't expecting. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a pointer poodle cross that would in fact be a poodlepointer and I'd bet that dog would be fairly similar to a labradoodle.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat May 05, 2012 12:26 pm

Max2 wrote:I think it was maybe a griffon. I will look one up . The spinone I think is a smaller dog.
Spinone males go up to 27 inches and 90 - 100lbs, like mine. They also come in White & Orange. There are quite a few Spins in your area so maybe that is what you saw.
154138_167671733271308_100000854471504_314285_1072406_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sat May 05, 2012 4:22 pm

It's not a member of the Sporting Group, but I've always thought Labradoodles favored Otterhounds.

This is a Labradoodle.

This is an Otterhound.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat May 05, 2012 4:27 pm

Stoneface wrote:It's not a member of the Sporting Group, but I've always thought Labradoodles favored Otterhounds.

This is a Labradoodle.

This is an Otterhound.
Yes, and there are only a few hundred left. Nice breed soon to be gone.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat May 05, 2012 9:38 pm

mcbosco wrote:[Yes, and there are only a few hundred left. Nice breed soon to be gone.
The first part is correct. The second sentence is not. Thank goodness for dedicated show people, who preserve many breeds with great care and at great personal cost that otherwise would not be seen again. The three-toed snail darter can go extinct for all I care. But I'd sure miss the otterhound. Breed clubs are the strong guardians of many fine breeds.,

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun May 06, 2012 4:17 am

mcbosco wrote:
Max2 wrote:I think it was maybe a griffon. I will look one up . The spinone I think is a smaller dog.
Spinone males go up to 27 inches and 90 - 100lbs, like mine. They also come in White & Orange. There are quite a few Spins in your area so maybe that is what you saw.
154138_167671733271308_100000854471504_314285_1072406_n.jpg

mcbosco I spoke with the dog owners & they were the ones that told me they were labradoodles. I have never seen a spinone in my area. I see more labs then any other dog around here. I learned of the spinone on one of the animal channels on tv a while back.Looked like a nice dog. I see your from NJ we relocated here from NJ a number of yrs ago.( Bergen County) It's funny as much bird hunting as I do here I never see another bird hunter.
The otterhound is another one that resembles them.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Sun May 06, 2012 5:38 am

bwjohn - Great lookin' PP!!!

JKP

Post by JKP » Sun May 06, 2012 10:18 am

Labradoodles are a designer crossbreed bred for the most part to supply soccer moms with a non-shedding, happy family dog with the "exclusive" factor. As far as type, they are all over the map....some hunge some small, with lots of coat, some with very little, etc. Over the year, I have run into an unusally large number of owners of these designer breeds that have had major health concerns.....knee ruptures, hip problems, allergies, hormonal disturbances that have been extremely costly. My impression is that the great majority of these dogs are being bred in the backyard from unknown, unqualified dogs for LOTS of money....but you get to pay for 'the rest of the story" after you have bought the dog.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun May 06, 2012 10:23 am

The funny thing about labradoodles is they are advertised as non shedding...but when " breeders" advertise non shedding they are either ignorant or unscrupulous or both, all dogs shed to some exten for one, second it would take several generations to "set" one coat type in this mutt. I am always surprised that people fall for this "pitch".