Mist netting pigeons

Meskousing

Mist netting pigeons

Post by Meskousing » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:55 pm

I have two homemade pigeon traps that have not been successful and a store bought (Wildlife Control Supplies) trap that isn't doing the job either. I have several locations (barns and city buildings) that I have permission to remove pigeons from. However, trapping is not proving to be a reliable means to get roof rats. My next method will likely be mist nets. Has anybody used mist nets? If so, any suggestions?

If you're wondering, I'm getting too old to climb around barns and silos and there are other logistics that prevent me from grabbing them at night in the various locations.

Thanks for your help.

gundogguy

Re: Mist netting pigeons

Post by gundogguy » Mon May 02, 2016 5:26 pm

Back when I did trap a few birds it usually took a 7-10 days for the bids to accept the presence of the traps. Normally I would lock the door open on traps and bait inside the trap and near its entrance. This would allow the birds to feed inside and all around the entrance. Once I could determine that the birds were comfortable enough to feed inside the baiting habits changed slightly and a narrow bead of feed would be used to force the birds to enter the trap and thus be captured.
Not sure what mist nets are but i was adept at netting birds with a lightweight minnow net with a 12 foot handle usually in parking structures and under certain bridges.
I'm 100% in favor of LGBT - Liberty, Guns, Bacon and Trump.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri May 06, 2016 12:08 pm

Mesk, I think a mist net would work great. I'd find a barn or other structure being used as a roost with only one low escape site. I'd set the net up in the dark and then spook the birds at first light in the morning. I'd use a net with a least 1 1/2 to 2 inch squares for a mesh or the barn ducks won't get tangled in the net. Good luck and let me know how it works.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Fri May 06, 2016 3:57 pm

I too had zero success trying to trap on a farm. What worked wonderfully was to go into the barn where they roosted after dark. My buddy and my son helped me. We'd have two guys posted where they had to exit under the awning roof with headlamps and nets. I made a long pole for the third to tickle them out of the rafters with and as they fluttered straight into the bright beam of the headlamp, they stalled like giant hummingbirds and it was a breeze to swipe them out of the air. I'd catch around a dozen a week and that worked out well.

If they have a high point to exit the barn where you'd be working then this method certainly wouldn't work.

AZSetter

Post by AZSetter » Fri May 06, 2016 10:31 pm

Get your hands on one pigeon to put in the trap. I had a hard time also when first setting out traps, then I would end up with several in it. Made me think, once the others see the first one in the trap eating and drinking they are less guarded about going in. I always add a "bait bird" now and it helps.

Meskousing

Post by Meskousing » Tue May 17, 2016 7:40 pm

Update: I decided to give trapping another try before spending another $50+. For some reason, I've been catching pigeons. I can't seem to catch a lot, but got 6-7 last week with two traps.

Thanks for the help.