Keep Quail Short Term

getzapped

Keep Quail Short Term

Post by getzapped » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:52 am

I found a quail breeder close to me that sells in small amounts. I was gonna pick up about 10 or so for training. I was thinking of maybe using the 10 over a period of 2 weeks. I have a cage large enough to keep them in. Beside food and water is there any reason that this plan wont work?

deseeker

Re: Keep Quail Short Term

Post by deseeker » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:22 am

I've found that if you keep quail in a SMALL cage (where they can't fly around) for much more than a week or 10 days, their flying ability decreases quite a bit. You might just want to buy what you'll use in a weeks time to have better flying birds for the dog---JMO

getzapped

Post by getzapped » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:59 am

Wow, I didnt realize they lose that ability so quickly. Ok how much flight room do they need If I kept them longer?

Rik

Post by Rik » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:20 pm

I built a 15' W x 25'L x 15'H pen with waterers and feeders, built rodent proof, with shelf perches. Ended up costing aroun $400.

Tried Bob Whites and found that even in this pen their ability and willingness to fly diminished dramattically. I tried other types of Quail and found they all had the same problem except dor Valley Quail. These turned out to be very difficult to buy so I started trapping feral pigeons. These worked great and I was able to keep them for long period even in a much smaller pen and they always flew aggressively.

I could have saved hundreds perhaps a thousand if had just used pigeons in a small pen to start with.............

Also, if Bobwhites get wet they are easily caught by the dogs. Pigeons still fly even when wet.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:19 am

The secret to keeping quail flying is to make them fly up and not how far. Put the feed and water up several feet off of the floor and they will maintain their flight ability pretty well. But I agree, pigeons are the way to go for most training.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Fun dog

Post by Fun dog » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:17 am

Last year I had some quail in with my pigeons. 10 x 10 pen for a couple months. They flew really well when I finally used them.

Rik

Post by Rik » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:31 pm

ezzy, Great idea, make em fly for food and water.............I'm moving the water and feed up to shelf about 6 feet off the ground. I'll try some Bobs as soon as I can get some and try it out. I'm using pigeons but my hunting buds still want to use Bobs. So we'll mix them and see how it goes.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:41 pm

My dog lost interest in pigeons, so I am starting to raise some bobs. My flight pen will have a feed and water shelf that I can raise over time up to 6 ft high. Just learning, is 6 weeks old ok to move to the flight pen? Right now in a wire bottom cage kept in darkness.