New Loft

Jidano3

New Loft

Post by Jidano3 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:35 am

I posted a while back about moving my loft from where it is now. Well, some building materials were given to me and it will be just enough to build a new loft that would be significantly bigger than what I have now. I plan on building in the spot I was going to move my old one to. Will this be a confusing transition for the birds? Will I have to keep them penned up for a few weeks again? I do have a few nesting pairs (some on eggs now). Thanks for your help.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: New Loft

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:08 am

Yes, it will be confusing but that doesn't mean don't do it. Just start over with the whole crew as though they were new or baby birds. Most at least will make the transition. I don't remember just why you were wanting to move but if it is feasible maybe you could make the new loft your flying loft and keep the breeders in the old loft.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Jidano3

Post by Jidano3 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:05 pm

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I have a few more questions. The new loft is almost done( bit of a delay with work and all). Now I have eggs in all the nests(6) and some new born birds in the old loft. I was hoping to be done before spring mating started. Can I move all that to the new loft or how do I go about the transition at this point. Thanks for the help

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:30 pm

I don't think you will be able to move any of the eggs with any success. If the newly hatch birds are weaned and eating on there own, you can move them to the new loft. As Ezzy suggested. Use the old loft for your breeders and put all your young birds in the new loft. You could move the breeding birds after the eggs hatch out and they are old enough to be moved. I would say 15 to 20 days.

gamekeeper

Post by gamekeeper » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:42 pm

Would like to build a small loft,any idea where I could get plans?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Don't put birds in the new loft right away. Wait until you have a bunch of squeaker's in the old loft and move them, not the parent's! leave the parent's at least until the mty one nest and before they start again. Put them in the new loft then and let them get on eggs again. That'll move a number of new birds into the new loft and you'll save a bunch of paired up bird's to the new loft to boot. once the old loft is mty, I believe I'd either move it closer to the new one or just tear it down.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!