Qoturnix Quail

Rod W

Qoturnix Quail

Post by Rod W » Sat May 18, 2013 2:09 pm

I am looking to buy some Qoturnix Quail in northern Wisconsin or northern Michigan. This looks to me, to be about the easiest of the Quail to raise, I need a bird that will raise it's own young.Thank You
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

gotpointers

Re: Qoturnix Quail

Post by gotpointers » Sun May 19, 2013 1:05 am

Highly unlikely to find one that will sit on her eggs.

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:50 am

Hi..The Cortinnux quail will not sit they wont fly either maybe 5 feet or so....Some bobwhites will set if left along and have enuff room I had the Mexican speckel hens last year do it~ Better off buying GQF genisus pre set incubator with turner it is preset for temp turns eggs and holds 120 of them for about 200.00 bucks

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun May 19, 2013 8:39 am

I had the same no fly and also no fear experience with them before. But!! Supposedly I brought in some eggs from a breeder who's claiming a line they've refined for 30 years that produces preserve and training birds. We will see how it goes. I will do the feeding at night and limit all exposure to humans to help out.

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sun May 19, 2013 2:42 pm

gotpointers wrote:Highly unlikely to find one that will sit on her eggs.

Thanks for the info. All I know is what I read, I'll stay away from the quail, stick with the homers.
"Democracy dies when the people wanting their government to take care of them outnumber those wanting to take care of themselves!"

We usually learn,, to overcome IGNORANCE,, but STUPIDITY cannot be overcome!!!

Life Member NRA

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon May 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Nothing wrong with quail, but you're probably much better off with Bobwhites than Coturnix. Coturnix are prolific egg layers, but they also eat more than they're usually worth. They can be difficult to use as training birds and are generally poor flyers. Coturnix have some value when first introducing pups to birds, but that's about the extent of their dog training usefulness. They are very good on the table however.

Nate

daleasche

Post by daleasche » Wed May 29, 2013 5:49 pm

We've raised bobwhite for 25 years and on occasion Coturnix when bobwhite eggs were hard to find. It is very rare for pen raised quail of either species to raise young. Once in a while a bird will set a nest in a flight pen and hatch eggs but the older birds usually kill the young or they just disappear. You're better off buying an incubator and eggs or just order some day old chicks and grow them out. Best bet is to find adult flight birds.