Sexing Pigeons

jimssetters

Sexing Pigeons

Post by jimssetters » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:49 pm

Finally came up with some pigeons but i would like to save some for breeders. Does anyone have info or tell me where to search so i can tell male from female?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Sexing Pigeons

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:55 pm

You will have to observe their behavior and you will be able to tell when the cocks start struting. I notice that the cocks are usually on the highest perches but there is no good wat to tell till they tell you.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:12 pm

My wife thinks i dont pay enough attention to her now. Spend to much time with my setters, now your saying i have to watch my birds. I might be looking for new house if i keep this up. :lol:

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:20 pm

Welcome to the club, I hear there is a resort for guys like us that will take you in. It is in Montana, no women allowed. Not sure if that is good or bad!?!?! :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:04 pm

Males will be a bit larger, with bigger heads and more eye and beak wattle. Hens will usually have a finer, lighter build. As has been mentioned, once the males start strutting you'll have no trouble identifying them.

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:01 pm

Some are built with a finer build but hard to tell if they are just young birds. I have already noticed some are more aggressive than others. Is that also part of the males?

gsp3333

Post by gsp3333 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:44 pm

What has worked for me is to just hold back about 10 birds,feed them well and provide some nest boxes. Before you know it you will have some eggs in the boxes and know who the pairs are. Who cares who is who. From there you can cull the birds that aren't nesting. Mine took about 2 weeks to start nesting. Good luck.

burke

Post by burke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:29 pm

Not an expert but some one taught me You can sex your pigeons by feeling the space between (forgive me but I dont know the technical name) cartilage around the egg drop shoot. It feels like a two pronged fork. Females have a wider space than males due to passing eggs.
It is much easier to show you than describe in words. It has proven true for my birds.
This plus the observation will be pretty darn accurate.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:41 am

CR gave the best description to me. Males look like sea lions, big thick necks and a bigger bird.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:34 am

Put some kind of mirror in the pen.Males will strut back and forth in front of the mirror cooing and dragging their tails,challenging what they Think is another male in the reflection.
Dog On Point!!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:31 am

Wish I had seen this sooner. Put a telephone and a can of beer on a table. Turn your birds loose with them and the ones that land on the phone are females. On the beer is males. :mrgreen:
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:47 pm

Made me laugh never thought of that. Is it that easy for other birds?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:50 am

Actually I've always done it like ezzy. But when I got my homer's the guy told me what to look for. He gave me three pairs and picked them by sight. So once they got on nest's I identified the rooster's and started watching them fot the broader chest, bigger heads and heavier eye and nose waddles. Starting to see the difference but not gonna know for sure till they start strutting. I put a blue quick tie on the one's I think are male and a red one on females. I'll see how it works this spring.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:16 am

Don't know if anyone has heard of this before, but this guy I buy homers from swears by it. I can't hardly tell a difference doing it his way :? , and it seems like an old wives tale type of thing. But he seems like a knowledgeable guy. He's raced, has a release business, and brought homers back from decades ago, when he was stationed in Germany. Anyway, he looks at the toes on the birds. Can't quite remember it perfect, but he stretches them out, with the legs pulled relaxed behind them and then compares the lengths of the 3 toes. He claims that it's similar to human hands. If my memory serves me correct, and it might not--he says womens fingertips will be level on either side of the middle finger and men's will not. Same thing with birds he claims.

QuailHollow

Post by QuailHollow » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:20 am

jimssetters wrote:My wife thinks i dont pay enough attention to her now. Spend to much time with my setters, now your saying i have to watch my birds. I might be looking for new house if i keep this up. :lol:
I don't sex pigeons because they are difficult to tell apart until they mature... which doesn't take long. They'll pair up on their own. And that's too bad about your wife. Maybe there is a way you can get her involved? :)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:03 am

I think involving your wife is a good idea. You could start by teaching her to clean out the loft! :D