Pheasant poppers

cheetome

Pheasant poppers

Post by cheetome » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:35 am

needed---- pheasant breast, sliced jarred jalapenos, thin sliced bacon, cream cheese, fresh jalapenos

take some of the juice from the jarred jalapenos and place in a bowl add some olive oil and seasoning of choice. I use garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and season all. Cut pheasant in bite sized pieces and place in bowl to marinate for 20-30 minutes. take some thin slice bacon and pre-cook it not all the way it still needs to be flexible enough to wrap around pheasant. If you don't like the bacon crispy you can skip this part. After pheasant is marinated take jalapenos from jar drain somewhat, put one slice of jalapeno on each side of pheasant breast and wrap with bacon. Hold together with toothpicks that were pre-soaked in water. You can use fresh jalapenos if you like, they will be slightly hotter.

Another way to do these is get fresh jalapenos, slice them on one side to get seeds out then stuff with cream cheese (room temperature) and if desired bacon bits and shredded cheese of choice. Take pheasant, marinated in same mix as above and wrap around the jalapeno then wrap with bacon again toothpicks to hold together. The only thing I do different here is I fillet the pheasant thin and bigger than bite sized to cover most of the jalapeno. As a side note wear gloves when cleaning the seeds out of the jalapenos or they will burn your hands and if you wash your hands but miss some of the oil under fingers and you rub your eyes ----- well they will burn like heck. Also you can cut the jalapenos in half cleaning is easier but the cream cheese tends to ooze out more. I take the fresh jalapenos and boil them for 2-3 minutes after cleaning them and rinse in cold water immediately after. They seem to cook up faster by doing this.

Both way are on grill medium heat 15-20 min. you can see when the meat is done. Don't over cook. The olive oil and bacon keep the meat real moist and tender. A person could wrap other things like mushrooms onion or peppers as well I just like jalapenos and they are not hot at all.

I got my wife and kids to eat these and they were a hit. They normally don't like pheasant. The first time I made these I made chicken for the family and they actually thought the pheasant turned out to be more tender than the chicken. Supposed to be an appetizer but I make it my main meal. Easy to make and great when on a trip with the guys especially with a few cold ones.

daniel77

Re: Pheasant poppers

Post by daniel77 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:57 pm

Made my mouth water. We do this with ducks also. The cream cheese seems to take some of that strong gamy flavor out of the duck. "bleep" good recipe.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

bpainter

Post by bpainter » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:34 am

This is a really good recipe. I do the same thing with quail breast.

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:11 pm

I tried this over the holidays and it went over great! thanks for posting!