What do you expect?

jimbo&rooster

What do you expect?

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:34 pm

What do you expect a FT horse to do? If you were in the market to buy a field trial horse what are the deal breakers? Does a horse have to stand to mount? Have to ground tie? If you were going to buy a horse what must it do for you to even take the time to look?

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: What do you expect?

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:35 am

To start with..
Right size for me
Calm around dogs/gunfire
Calm head/not a nervous figgity horse
Smooth gait
Loads
Stand for farrier
Easy keeper/gets along well with other horses

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:31 am

Assuming the borse has good ground manners and is well broke under saddle and all that...wouldn't want one that isn't ambitious to go. I had one that wasn't really self motivated to get anywhere and he about wore me out. I'd rather fight to hold one back than fight to keep one going :D

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:37 pm

An absolute dealbreaker for me would be a horse that rears. Don't want that ...not even once. I don't believe in hold downs and such. They are band aids. if the horse rears, I ain't riding it. Period.

Another one is a horse moving before I get my butt in the saddle. I am waaay too old and out of shape as it is. I don't need a wrenched back, wrecked rotator cuff(I have two already thanks to horses) or twisted knee or ankle.

Another one is a dog, or people, or even other horse... kicker. That sh!t HURTS, and it hurts worse if the horse is shod. It don't take much of a kick to kill a dog.

Last one that comes to mind is a horse that stumbles a lot and the stumbling is not cured or drastically reduced by proper trimming or shoeing. Going over the top of a horse's neck and head and doing a half gainer into the dirt is not my idea of fun. Once again...that sh!t hurts and if the horse comes down on top of you, its gonna hurt worse.

All of the above are predicated on the assumption that riding a horse over broken and unfamiliar ground is , at best, a somewhat risky proposition. A horse that exhibits any of the above behaviors raises that risk to an unacceptable level for me.

RayG

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:57 pm

If you were going to buy a horse what must it do for you to even take the time to look?
Teeth, hooves, mane and tail. Knees, has horse shin splitted? the rest is training. Have owned a few in my day, were not FT tho. :) we ran on the track.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935