Horses

Darbie3

Horses

Post by Darbie3 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:10 pm

hello i am new at all of this so please forgive me. this is probably a stupid question but i dont know. what are the horses used for? i plan on hunting with my dog in the future and i would like to get in to field trials but i dont know where to start. are the horses a part of the field trial?
please and thank you

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Horses

Post by shags » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:13 am

As you probably already know, some trials are 'horseback'. The horses are used as a means of conveyance by the dogs' handlers, the judges, the gallery (spectators)scouts( handlers' helpers), marshalls (judges' helpers, kind of) and bird planters. Basically the horses are used to follow the dogs around course.

Even at trials designated as walking trials, the judges are on horseback. An exception to this may be coverdog (grouse woods) trials where everyone walks. There are other horse free venues as well.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:34 am

Here is a nice photo gallery of a horseback trial in KS http://gerstner.zenfolio.com/f731391091 Click on the two Gyp Hills Field Trial galleries...

Darbie3

Post by Darbie3 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:11 pm

thank you also do the horses used have to be gaited? and i would like to get in to field trials but i dont know where to start.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:24 pm

They do not have to be gaited horses but there is nothing better then a gaited horse when you are trying to move along quicker with out having to post all the time
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:00 pm

My first FT horse was a little grade something-or-other. It was hard to keep up with my gaited brace mate and that put my dog at a disadvantage. I taught the horse to do a nice little canter that helped a bunch. But it was way easier on both of us to retire him and get a gaited horse.

Do yourself a favor and get your second horse first. An experienced FT horse is your best bet, but if you have any experience with horses, you can do real well with a trail horse. Check out the various FT websites for horses, as well as The American Field magazine. The money you might spend up front will save you cash in the long run.

Darbie3

Post by Darbie3 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:24 pm

i have 3 horses 2 geldings and a filly my geldings are great trail horses nothing bothers them. the filly is not broke yet but shes really calm too. i am sure they would do well at this.