Plantation vs Trooper saddles

gmanksu

Plantation vs Trooper saddles

Post by gmanksu » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:13 pm

How many of you use a plantation type saddle vs a trooper? I have a Tarpin Hill that I am contemplating moving out for a plantation or endurance type saddle. Considering the Hillcrest Plantation saddles made in Indiana by Myron Razor. Has anyone seen these or ridden in one? Thanks in advance.

wannabe

Re: Plantation vs Trooper saddles

Post by wannabe » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:00 am

I sold my beloved Tarpin Hill trooper saddle and replaced it with a Simco plantation saddle because the trooper was too long for my horse's back. I am currently riding a Steele plantation saddle. I have never riden a buena vista style plantation saddle, and I rarely see anyone riding them at field trials.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:31 am

I rode a Buena Vista for alot of years, then got out of the game and when I got back, I started riding troopers. Both saddles are comfortable, what I like about the trooper is the ability to grab the front bracket if necessary. There was absolutely nothing to hold onto on the plantation, and that is fine if all you are doing is riding gallery, but if you are handling or scouting or hunting, where some faster, more athletic riding is necessary, then you need something besides just good balance. Not often, but every once in awhile.

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:04 pm

Another advantage to a plantation saddle is that it puts the rider closer to the horse instead of perched on a suspended seat like the trooper. I have had horses bolt out from under me while riding in a trooper, but they haven't been able to shake me out of my deep seated plantation saddle.

Another saddle to consider would be a Fred Hook trail saddle; well built, fuctional, and easy on the horse/rider.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus