Keeping a horse?

Perdido

Re: Keeping a horse?

Post by Perdido » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:52 am

Yeah. Mount Taylor on the north side right there at Grants. You can see it from the airport in Albuquerque, 90 miles off. With all the snow it's gorgeous right now.
PVA.org needs you to send them 3 bucks.

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:48 am

Right on--and when the snow falls at the right time BIG bulls come down and that was what I was hoping for-i always thought i would like to try the Mt. Taylor muzzleloader hunt. have you hunted ELk in the area?

Perdido

Post by Perdido » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:44 am

Yes... and No.

When I was a kid we hunted elk just across the way (south) in the Zuni Mountains. Lots of big ones there too, in fact one of the record holders came from there a few years ago. Good turkey hunts and some monster mule deer too. They had closed the area for a number of years as a management study and the bucks and bulls got really big, in spite of the poaching that inevitably arose.

I've never been on Mt. Taylor. The most elk hunting I've done has been up north near the Colo. border at Tres Piedras.

It's getting to be almost impossible to draw an elk tag, or even deer anymore. I've been unsuccessful for about 7 years now. Maybe this year!!! :P

I concentrate on the Scaled Quail and ducks now. I like it a lot more anyway, it's a lot less arduous. :wink:
PVA.org needs you to send them 3 bucks.