New Horse! (Maybe I should hunt with him?)

EddieF

New Horse! (Maybe I should hunt with him?)

Post by EddieF » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:38 am

I know a lot of you field trialers hunt from horseback. I've got Thomas here pointing okay, but how do I get him to retrieve?? :D

Well, Jmackk corresponded with me about giving my Apaloosa, Buck, a fair chance and I felt like I did. (Thank you Jmackk) But he just wasn't right for what I wanted to do with him, and wasn't fun or comfortable to ride outside of the ring. Allergies and sensitivity to bugs kept his head shaking and flinging constantly on the trail. We found him a good home and recently found Thomas, a draft cross with much trail experience and a great temperament. He's ten years old and a real sweetheart. I've already enjoyed some time with him on the trails and he takes good care of me. Up and down hills, creek crossings and wooden bridges. Three of us were riding side by side and one of the thoroughbreds spooked at nothing and spun around in a split second. My wife's TB followed suit, spinning around. She said as soon as the spinning stopped she looked to see what condition I was in on the ground, but there I was, sittin' on Thomas who never even flinched. Two horses right next to him bolt around in a 180 degree spin within feet of him and he was like, "Um, I don't see anything. Settle down, freaks." Another time a deer darted from the corn right in front of us and he did that thing where he just stops suddenly, but was very stable.

So I think he'll be a really nice trail horse for me. Super quiet, nice and stocky (actually getting a little fat in his new home), excellent feet (no shoes), and gets along well with our others.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: New Horse! (Maybe I should hunt with him?)

Post by wems2371 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:35 am

Congrats Eddie on finding a good riding partner. :wink:

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:53 am

Thanks! I have to share this - last night we followed some challenging trails near our house that went to the river and we actually rode in the river!!

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:11 pm

Big Congrats. When you find that horse that you bond with there is nothing better than that! Looks like you are having a great time already. Did you find your appy a home?
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:24 pm

MOOSE wrote:Big Congrats. When you find that horse that you bond with there is nothing better than that! Looks like you are having a great time already. Did you find your appy a home?
We really are, that ride yesterday was by FAR the most fun I've had riding. And Buck, the appy, did fine in the ring. We found him a good home nearby, a place that gives lessons (n a ring) and he's doing well there. Conversely, I don't think Thomas has ever spent time in a ring. We have one here, but he seems confused by it. I think he's a career trail horse and that's fine with me!