Bot Flies

Crestonegsp

Bot Flies

Post by Crestonegsp » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:17 am

How do you all deal with Bots. We're new to the east and Bot Flies are a pain. Is there an easier way than scraping off the eggs everyday?
Dan Schoenfelder

CH/FC PVR's Rugerheim Smokin' Liberty
CH/RUCH PVR's Rugerheim Double Shot
PVR N' Rugerheim Vendetta Ride
Rugerheim's Final Frontier

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Bot Flies

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:40 pm

CrestoneGSP -

We have them here in DE and I have found that if I spray the inside of their turnout sheds that helps a lot to knock down the number of flies. If I spray their legs with a longer lasting fly spray, that seems to help also.

I think the key is to knock down the number of flies in general and deal with the rest.

If you do not have other livestock in the area, it might make sense to use some sort of feed though fly control or buy some of those "fly predators". I have a neighbor who has goats and horses, so unless they do some fly control, anything I do on that score is a waste of time, effort and money.

RayG

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:54 pm

Spraying the legs and belly areas where the horse is most apt to get to wit the mouth with show sheen will help to make scraping the bot fly eggs easier then a light misting of addams flea and tick spray works to repel the flies and also mosquitoes
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:00 am

Almost forgot -

A monthly wormer that kills bots(like Ivermectin) is a real good idea. No matter how religious we are about this kind of care, some will wind up in the horse's gut.

RayG