What do you do about the flies??

Jager

What do you do about the flies??

Post by Jager » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:25 am

Ok, I think we have used every fly spray on the shelf at both Southern States & Tractor Supply. All of them seem to work for about 12 hours! Even though a few of them state on the bottle that they can last UPTO 17 days, even in the rain and through sweat (yeah, right!). We have fly masks over their ears & face. But they are getting chewed up everywhere else. What do you guys use that Works? I seen that there is a topical treatment, similar to the Frontline types of products, for horses. The topical was not made by Frontline...not sure what the brand name was. Has anyone used something like that? Does it work? Any ideas? :roll: Thanks!!
Dear Lord, Please make me the kind of person my dogs think I am.

http://www.allnkennels.com

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: What do you do about the flies??

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:46 pm

I hate them. Unfortunately, hate does not seem too deadly to them.

I use garlic that I get from a company called "springtime inc. " It helps about 30% I'd say. But it takes 2-4 weeks before I notice it helping and so I have to give it all season starting before the flies in spring. I put out about a zillion stinky traps, and it helps about 30% maybe :roll: So together it is like I am winning some battles but barely. Next year I think I am investing in the fly predators.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:14 pm

Yes! There are a couple topicals- one is called Freedom and it can be found at most feed supply stores. It is supposed to last 14 days; I haven't used a tube since the flies got really heavy but about a month ago it was working well. I'm not sure if it lasted for the stated timeline, but I followed the directions for safety's sake and didn't reapply for 14 days. No bad reactions on my horses. :)

I've wasted money on the 14-day sprays, and they are a joke, I found I was applying almost every day for them to have any effect.

Now, I just use Bronco or whatever's I diluted from concentrate (Absorbine, maybe???) and apply every day or so. Plus, I use a fly mask and a fly sheet. Next sheet I buy, though, will have a belly flap because that is prime eatin' for the flies. I use Farnam Swat on the belly, it's a fly repellent ointment.

If you're fencing will allow it (ie not barbed-wire), I'd recommend a sheet. They range from $30-$200. Schneiders has a good selection at good prices; ValleyVet, Dover Saddlery, and Country Supply are some other suppliers to check out.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:35 pm

Fly predators.......Talk to Rich Heaton I think he has used in the past.

http://spalding-labs.com/Dogs/Default.aspx

Chip

Jager

Post by Jager » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:48 am

I am aware of the fly preditors. I know someone that uses them in there dog kennel area and has had success with them. However, the field that my horses are in is about 5 acres. I didn't know how well they would work in this type of set up. Our horses are not confined at all. Any idea :?:
Can't use the blanket as some of the fensing is barbed wire. I might try the topical treatment one time to see how it works. Wanted to know others experiences with it first, since I have heard of at least one brand of dog treatment that has had ill effect on dogs. Never heard about using garlic?? Is it in pill form??
Also, having problems this year keeping fly masks on my two new horses. Seems like they manage to get them off after 2-3 days. The masks don't seem to be too big and are velcro straped on. Any suggestions :?: Thanks!
Dear Lord, Please make me the kind of person my dogs think I am.

http://www.allnkennels.com

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:52 am

How about a feed through fly repellant? I've never used one, but they make 2 kinds....a repellant, and one that keeps larvae from developing in manure.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:59 am

Just the masks and fly traps. Everything else only works marginally. I have a pair of purple martins and barn swallows that live in my barn now. I am going to build some houses for them soon. I am also going to build some bat houses. We'll see how that works.

Flys aren't horrible here. Not comfortable, but not unbearable either.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Jmackk

Post by Jmackk » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:31 pm

Out here in AZ the best way I know of battling flies is this. 1. diatomaceous earth, it is a fine powder, but at the same time it is very course. If you get it in your eyes its like pouring ground up glass in your eyes. What is does is it cuts the exoskeliton of the flie larva and then they basicaly drie out and die. Its safe to use around animal stalls(not in so thay dont eat it) and in places of standing water or mud. Just spread some around the stalls every few day's, it does not take a lot. 2. There is a little wasp that eats the fly larva, cant remamber there excact name, you can try googling it. You can usually buy them at feed stores in a little bag. These wasps are very, very small and are harmless to people and animals. About 2 bags a month should be sufficent, and you can throw them around your trash can if you have flyes around there. 3. Use the bag type of fly traps, these will get any that escape the other two. I work at a place that board around 60 horses and they do this, and the flie are basicaly nonexistant. Basically this works because it does not focuse on fly repelling, it focuses on fly killing. Kills the flyes before they get big enough to be pests. Its really preventative maintnence. :mrgreen: