First pack and ride of the summer

hustonmc

First pack and ride of the summer

Post by hustonmc » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:31 pm

Nothing special but I was caught coming home from my first pack trip of the summer. I'm getting ready for Antelope season/Chukar scouting and decided I needed to pack up Bud and take him out. 2: tires w/rims, about 60lbs, 2: 45lb weights, 2: 25lbs weights. About 260lbs, good break in weight for the summer. Only went about 5 miles. Anyways all these horse people I thought I'd throw a good looking animal on here for a change, enjoy :)

Kiki's Mom

Re: First pack and ride of the summer

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:20 pm

VERY COOL!!!! either one of those mules gaited too? I have a baby mule too....will get pics of him and post em. He was an auction house rescue tht I picked up for $35. Too cool...I LOVE mules!!

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:05 pm

Nope, not gaited. Just a working man's mule. My saddle mule is out of a Quarter Horse paint and the pack mule is out a Belgium mare. We've had a few Tennessee Walking mules, just not my cup of tee. Not many mules can move out like my stocking legged mule, poor Bud has a heck of a time keeping up, but he'll do it. Gets those baby mule pictures up, all ears, gotta love them.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:19 pm

Now I would have guessed the opposite... the saddle mule in those pics looks like the belgian cross to me :) Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:47 pm

rockllews wrote:Now I would have guessed the opposite... the saddle mule in those pics looks like the belgian cross to me :) Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon.
I guess I can see that because she is so tall, 16-2. But the other half of the equation will explain it. The saddle mule is out of a very tall Mammoth Jack crossed with the Quater Horse, the pack mule is out of slightly built standard Jack and a short Belgium. If you look at Bud's chubby butt and big feet it'll give it away :) But definatley a good way to spend the Sunday afternoon. You could agree with me on this though Chelsea, we need more places around here to ride.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:07 pm

Well I'm pretty much limited to our arena and pasture with Orion until he gets more sane or I get more confident about riding a crazy horse. :D (on edit, grammar error :roll: )

Hey, do you know the guy who is training in Boardman? Goes by the name Josh?

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:49 pm

I don't know many of the horse trainers around here anymore, especially for the riding that you do. I tell you what though, if you want we can go for a ride one of these evenings, you can ride my mule or our bomb proof horse and I'll test my insurance policy and give Orion a test run. Or you can just ride Breeze if you want something that is well.....................not crazy. Meeting Monday night at 7pm, you guys can follow Tom and I, or car pool. Should try to fit it in your schedule.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:29 am

Even though this is the Horses section and under a Horse subject, I still assumed you'd know I was talking about a dog trainer! :oops: :D Anyways, it's the person that has that sign along 84 for bird dog training and his phone number. I was just curious if he was in the club, or if you or Tom know anything about his experience/qualifications. I'm not looking into his services for myself but for another guy. -I just gave him (the guy, not the trainer) a few other highly recommended setter trainers' contact info, as well as the Bruces' phone numbers hoping he'll join the club.

Club... I won't be able to go this Monday BUT I will get to the August meeting AND FunDay, mark my word, ok? BTW, are the FunDays usually on Sundays? When you all decide when/what time it will be held in August, please let me know. I might need to reschedule some meetings/visits to make it.

Horse... No need for you to risk your neck on Rye. My goal with him this summer is to give him two weeks of solid daily riding and challenges and then get him up our driveway and a little ways down the roads, at least. The barking loose dogs around here suck, but we'll give it a try! All this will have to happen, of course, after the pups are old enough to be easily taken care of by my parents should I incure any injuries from my efforts. :D :roll: (I'm serious, though.)

Pups... Soph should have them today! She's been nesting like mad since 3:30am and is very restless, typical labor day stuff for her. You'll have to bring Cage by when they're older for a little puppy socialization. :) He can meet Remi, too.