Think I need to put Buck up for sale

EddieF

Think I need to put Buck up for sale

Post by EddieF » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:52 am

Well the riding thing has not gone particularly well, and we are concerned that my appaloosa, Buck, is just not and might never be a beginner's horse. He's kind of a handful, and at my skill level I can't really focus on learning how to ride while I'm worried about him shaking his head or doing what he wants to do. My wife can ride him but she's an experienced and accomplished rider.

In addition, another horse opportunity has come up that might work better for me - a nearby Tennessee Walker that is very calm and highly experienced on trails already.

So I know this is all a luke warm endorsement for a horse I'm trying to sell, to say that I can't really ride him. But I just want to mosey along a trail from time to time. I don't have any idea what kind of horses people use for field trials or what those horses have to be trained to do. But I figured I'd list him here. It's all very odd to me, I've never sold an animal before. But if he lives another 10 or 15 years, that puts me well into my golden years before I get my trail horse!

Anyway, he is for sale, in Virginia. He has done some eventing but couldn't stay sound under the rigors of jumping. He then went into Western training for over a month and we've ridden him since then for a couple of months. He has been sound and healthy throughout the Western training.

He's really neat and comes to me at the fence, I spoil him with treats and carrots and I really like him but he's just not right for what I want to do.

This picture is old, he is more muscular and visibly more fit now due to the recent western work and I will get a fresh picture this weekend.

Email me at ejfelker@verizon.net for details.

FlyinSoLow

Re: Think I need to put Buck up for sale

Post by FlyinSoLow » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:02 pm

Oooh, hes such a good lookin horse to :wink:

I know how you feel. I just sold what was my 'dream' horse becuase I cant keep him where he is becuase of issues I have with the barn, and there arent many other places in my area to go with an arena and trails. I came to the realization that I couldnt bring him home, and I keeping him at the barn wasnt going well... so I decided to sell him becuase its in both our better interests. It is still very hard, but I know where he is going and the girl LOVES him (actually they tried to buy him off of me a year ago).

Its never easy, but they live 30+ years, and if you can't keep them at home it makes it even more difficult.

I wish you the best of luck, and it sounds like this is in both your best interest!

Jmackk

Re: Think I need to put Buck up for sale

Post by Jmackk » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:47 pm

Well thats to bad you have to sell such a great looking horse. Its really easy to get attached to horses, teven more so than a dog, here's just something about them.

I dont want to come off like I know everything and I hope that I can word this right. Riding a horse is not just about technique and body postition, its also about attitude. You can have the best form in the world, but it wont mean a thing if you dont have the confidence and the attitudle. You have to let the horse know you are thee boss no matter what happens. When I learned to ride about 4 years ago, my friend gave me a choice. He said " I can put you on a horse you can ride, or a horse that will teach you something". Well I chose the one that would teach me something and that horse knew that I was green and he even tried rubbing me off on the rail and traied running and stoping really quick to get me off. I had to assert my self quick and let him know Im the boss not him, and once that happened I rode him for an hour or more with not even a fuss. Know I know that getting confidence may be hard if you have a hores that is being difficult, but you might acctually learn more from riding a difficult horse(unless he's bucking and biteing and such) than a hores that just is there. Im not saying go ride a wild mustang, and Im not saying that a quiet, respectfull hore is bad. Im just saying this because if you really like the horse, just remember, once he is gone you probably will never get him back, so make sure you are making a good choice.

And I just want to make it clear Im not telling him or any other begginer to go ride a rodeo bronc, it just so happens I got started on a hores that had a bit of an attitude. I have always place begginers on quite, honest, respectfull, horese first when teaching them to ride.