teaching to hobble ?

JimB

teaching to hobble ?

Post by JimB » Mon May 11, 2009 12:34 pm

We escaped a near disaster the other week... one of the guys that trains with me bought a new TWH. Along with the misc. tack that came with the horse was a pair of 3 legged hobbles, so I assumed that the horse was used to them (WRONG !). To say it did't go well would be an understatement !!! Thank goodness that we were in the round pen and the horse was wearing a halter w/ lead rope. So, how do you teach a horse to hobble ?
JimB
Rosewood Kennels
Larned, KS
www.RosewoodKennels.net

Kiki's Mom

Re: teaching to hobble ?

Post by Kiki's Mom » Mon May 11, 2009 3:29 pm

LOLOLOL......try the stake out /merry go round instead. Much easier and safer. Whatchya hobbling the horse for anyway?
Hobbles are a self taught lesson I'm afraid. :roll:

JimB

Post by JimB » Mon May 11, 2009 6:55 pm

why Helen, are you laughing at lil ole me ? :cry: The horse came with the hobbles, so as I said, I figured that he was used to using them....well I can tell ya, he NEVER saw a pair of hobbles before! :lol: Why use hobbles ? Why not ? I think that the horse should be able to use hobbles, stake outs or high lines,....what ever.

As for the stake out, I believe that this too will be new to this horse. He was not a FT horse, so there are plenty of things that we will have to train him to except. I'm lucky in that MY horse is an old pro at FTs, a been there/ done that, kinda guy. I got him shortly after you and Brian left. ( that reminds me that I still have your unopened bottle of sparkling wine, when are you guys coming back out, so we can pop it ?)

So you really think that hobbles are self taugh ? Just slap 'em on and get out of the way ???

Hey,...miss ya !
JimB
Rosewood Kennels
Larned, KS
www.RosewoodKennels.net

Jmackk

Post by Jmackk » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:02 pm

Well Im not sure what you guys mean by hobble, but out west hobbling a horse is trainging a horse not to move, of freak out if his legs get tangled(rope,barbed wires,ect) and its a good idea to hobble brake a horse is general, but it is especialy important if the horse is a ranch horse(or working horse). As far as training, I have never done it, but I have read about it, but I dont want to tell you all what I read since I have never put it to practice and I don know if it really works.

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:49 am

I too believe hobbling a horse is a prerequisite to a well trained horse. There is an element of truth to the claim that hobbling is self taught; however, some desensitization to objects around his legs (especially pasterns) will go a long way toward a smoother lesson. I gradually expose the horse to a soft rope tossed aroud his legs until he can except contact without jumping every time. Then I will wrap the rope around his legs with a single twist so I can immediately release the horse if he spooks. When I feel the horse is ready, I find a large open non-rocky field; hobble him and let the horse teach himself.
The key to an easy training is to go slow and when you think he is completely desensitized to objects around his legs do it some more then do it again. You now have a bad experience to correct so go slow and be understanding of his fear.

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:59 am

mug and anchor him and have someone hobble him....then step back he'll quit fighting it soon enough... just don't let a parrelli trainer see you do it....