Meet "Sid"

Maverick

Meet "Sid"

Post by Maverick » Wed May 06, 2009 4:06 pm

This past weekend I met up with Brittguy from this board and Kiki's mom as well at the PA Brittanys club trial.
Brittguy had a very nice TWH gelding for sale and after getting to ride him a few times, the deal was struck right away.
Thanks to Brittguy for leaving his saddle with me to ride the rest of Sunday and for selling me such a nice horse.
Thanks also to Kiki's mom and her other half Brian for letting Sid live with them at the farm!
A few pictures I took this past weekend are below.

Mav....

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

Brittguy

Re: Meet "Sid"

Post by Brittguy » Wed May 06, 2009 5:58 pm

Not a bad weekend when you have good weather, get a new horse,and a placement in a large gundog stake.CONGRATULATIONS

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu May 07, 2009 8:14 am

Mav -

Sid is a powerfully built horse. I especially like the kind eyes. Looks like a good 'ol boy who will take good care of you. I wish you both many years and many miles of companionship and enjoyment.

A good, experienced field trial horse can make all the difference between fighting your way around the course and just doin' it as if you did it every day.

Enjoy.

RayG

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Thu May 07, 2009 1:24 pm

Not a bad weekend when you have good weather, get a new horse,and a placement in a large gundog stake.CONGRATULATIONS
AGREED!

Sid is such a nice boy :) ANd Ray is 100% right....having an experienced trial horse under you makes all the difference!!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu May 07, 2009 10:44 pm

Congrats MAV sounds like you are going off hte deep end :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Fri May 08, 2009 5:06 pm

Thanks folks ,
I am looking forward to following my dog around on Sid as much as possible.
I was lucky enough to win quite a few bits and bridles in a raffle at the PA trial where I purchased Sid, so now we just need to add a saddle and we will be ready to go.
Mav....
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat May 09, 2009 7:37 am

Mav -

Find out EXACTLY which bit Sid was using. Did I say EXACTLY? Get one of those. Set it up in his bridle the same way as it was.

If he has been wearing the same bridle and bit for ten to fifteen years, he is comfortable with it and responsive to it. That is something you do not want to mess around with.

RayG

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sat May 09, 2009 7:00 pm

Thanks Ray,

Fortunately, I was lucky enough to get the exact same bit that he was wearing already.
It is not a harsh bit at all, so we are good that way, but thank you s much for the help.
Brittguy, was very good about helping me with what bit to use with him. I promised him we would look after Sid well.
Kiki's mom and her other half are helping me look for a saddle right now as well. We will take our time and make sure to get one that fits the both of us well.
The thing I have learned from reading this forum is that I will be adding one of those "fat boy" straps to the rig when I get it. I know nothing about those until I read about them in here.

Mav....
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley