Ticks

zzweims

Ticks

Post by zzweims » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:40 am

Last spring, we had a real problem with ticks getting into the horses' ears. It was very distressing for them. This year, we've mowed and burned the thick brush in the pasture, but it is only a matter of time before it grows back and the ticks return. I've tried fly wipe and the topical stuff--pretty useless. They wash off after one good sweat or rain or roll in the wet grass. Any suggestions for something I can put directly on or near their ears that won't wash away in a day? Thanks.

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

JimB

Re: Ticks

Post by JimB » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:00 pm

I use Bronco spray on all the horses, seems to work. I also use the Bronco on the dogs before they go to the field. There are several products like Frontline for horses that I intend to look into. I even tried leg bands, you know kinda like a flea and tick collar, but the horses lost them in the pasture within a week or so.
I'm very interested in how others deal with ticks and other pests
JimB
Rosewood Kennels
Larned, KS
www.RosewoodKennels.net

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Ticks

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:46 am

either Bio Spot for horses or Addams flea and tick spray...when i first started using addams it was for horses for repling flies and mosquitoes

I HATE TICKS :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.