Horse won't stand

bigoak

Horse won't stand

Post by bigoak » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:42 pm

My horse wants to start walking as soon as I put my foot in the stirrup.If I was a young Buck,this wouldn't matter.The horse is 12 years old and been around trials his whole life.I'm 65 years old and I weigh more than I should,so it's starting to get to be a problem,Could I use the collar on him for this?..vern

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Horse won't stand

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:10 pm

plan to spend some time doing this
but it is harder for a horse to make tight circles so here is how I got horses to stand still

take inside rein and prepare like your going to mount and place right hand in stir up and apply some weight when the horse begins to move forward back a step and pull head towards you making the horse do a tight circle
then repeat work small steps from your hand applying the weight and the horse standing still
then when the horse is standing still then start to put foot in stirup again when horse begins to more forward pull foot out and do the tight circle

then when you have worked your way in to the saddle just have the horse stand still do not let the horse move off if the horse does take inside rein and circle

it will take some time and reminders but eventually your horse will stand till cued to move

also after you have done a few tight circles and have established a pattern eventually you can just do half circles sending hindquarter away and the horse will get the idea it is harder work trying to move forward then just standing there and letting you get on its back and that standing will be the first thing asked instead of rush off
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

tenbearsviz

Post by tenbearsviz » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:36 am

Vern,

In trialing we teach our horses to move as soon as we mount.

Couple things I use to remind my guys to stand until told to move.

If they move while mounting, I get off and move them backward. Not mean but assertively. Try again... Move and I get down and walk them backward. Repeat until they get the picture.

Once mounted, practice just standing there. One step forward and I take them two steps back.

You've been riding a while but have someone watch if you are giving them signals to move as you mount. Careful not to pressure their side as if to squeeze them forward...etc..

Lately, I have been trying to even incorporate a relaxed slow mount into trialing. It is an extension of being more relaxed while working a bird.

It wont fix over night. It took years to train him. Good Luck.

Don

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:45 pm

Couple of things you can try:

AS you set up to mount pull the far rein tight, bending the horse's head away from you. If the horse steps, it will tend to move its hind end into you, instead of out and away. Not a perfect slution, but it can help in the short run.

You could also park the horse out. I would not park the horse out dramatically, because the stretched out back can be more easily injured. However, parking the horse out a step should not put the horse at any significant risk of injury and setting the horse up might just get the animal to stand.

RayG

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:38 pm

bigoak wrote:My horse wants to start walking as soon as I put my foot in the stirrup.If I was a young Buck,this wouldn't matter.The horse is 12 years old and been around trials his whole life.I'm 65 years old and I weigh more than I should,so it's starting to get to be a problem,Could I use the collar on him for this?..vern
Why wouldn't he? He did it with his previous owner for years; at least your hips are more flexible than Lee's.

If my horse tries to leave before I ask him to, I make him back up twice as far as he moved forward. Then I have him stand there while I take a deep breath and relax in the saddle. By then he is paying close attention to what I want, and I ask him to move out with my legs. He can read my mind through my butt, but sometimes he has a mind of his own.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

bigoak

Post by bigoak » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:44 pm

wannabe,
I don't know what your smokin over there in Iowa ,but my horse is the same as he was with Lee.I scratched Bull from the rest of the spring trials since he's acting like such a d#ck...vern