Talk about a scary morning!

Karen
GDF Junkie

Talk about a scary morning!

Post by Karen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:12 am

I got to work this morning at 8:00, checked my personal email, and found a voicemail from midnight. Turns out my horse was MIA!! Didn't come down for dinner, the barn owner checked her 100 acres, found 5 horses in her back field that didn't belong there, but never found Trav!!

When I called her back this morning, she hadn't gone out looking yet, but I quickly got a phone call that he was in a different field, fenced in, snacking happily....and they have NO IDEA how he got there or where he went last night. They'll be walking the fence line in both fields to try and figure out how he got out and will call the neighbor (who owned the other 5 renegade horses) to see if he went home with them, and if they stuck him in the field late last night/early this morning.

I had visions of broken legs and colic! Thank goodness he's safe and sound.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Re: Talk about a scary morning!

Post by phermes1 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:00 am

Glad to hear it turned out OK, I'm sure that was pretty scary!

At one of our trials a couple of years ago, a club member turned her 4 horses out into a pasture which we THOUGHT had an intact fence all the way around. Turns out that some kids had cut out a section recently, so the horses disappeared through it in the middle of the night into a massive orange grove that borders the grounds.
Luckily, it's Florida, it's sandy, and it didn't rain, so they left hoofprints that were easy to follow. She tracked them down about 2 miles away and brought them back without incident.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Talk about a scary morning!

Post by BigShooter » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:06 am

Horses are definitely not fool proof. A friend of mine & his wife raise and train TWH. About a week ago they lost a mare that was found cast against a fence while they were at work. To learn about cast here's one article: http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/info/casthorse.html
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it